Sirius XM signal issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All of a sudden last week I started up the truck and my sirius xm was stuck on "acquiring signal" for a few days. Then I tried a suggestion of shutting off the truck with the door open and then oddly enough, the "acquiring signal" message seemed to go away for the most part but it appears I have no reception. When I do get something it is very intermittent.

Today I finally have some time so first I am going to try plugging in an external antenna directly to the radio so I can see if the issue is the radio, or the antenna. Then I'll follow up with a call to Sirius if that doesn't seem to do it.

I am fearful that the antenna is the issue which I believe would require pulling the headliner in order to replace. I do have a the full mopar protection warranty with a $100 deductible so in theory I should be able to just drop it off at a dealer and have them deal with it. But I am wondering if 1) they'll even bother with fixing it or just blame "poor satellite signal" or sirius. and 2) do I want to trust them pulling the headliner.

Any thoughts out there?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
All of a sudden last week I started up the truck and my sirius xm was stuck on "acquiring signal" for a few days. Then I tried a suggestion of shutting off the truck with the door open and then oddly enough, the "acquiring signal" message seemed to go away for the most part but it appears I have no reception. When I do get something it is very intermittent.

Today I finally have some time so first I am going to try plugging in an external antenna directly to the radio so I can see if the issue is the radio, or the antenna. Then I'll follow up with a call to Sirius if that doesn't seem to do it.

I am fearful that the antenna is the issue which I believe would require pulling the headliner in order to replace. I do have a the full mopar protection warranty with a $100 deductible so in theory I should be able to just drop it off at a dealer and have them deal with it. But I am wondering if 1) they'll even bother with fixing it or just blame "poor satellite signal" or sirius. and 2) do I want to trust them pulling the headliner.

Any thoughts out there?
First, check the connection on the back of the radio. On mine, the SXM plug had a rigid sleeve on the wire going into the back of the Fakra connector. If it's broken away from the connector that's your issue.

The entire headliner doesn't need to be dropped. Let me know if the above isn't the issue and I'll tell you how to replace just the antenna yourself.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks @SitKneelBend hope all is well bro! I'll take a look at the connector first. I certainly have connected it and unconnected it a ton of times with the swapping of the tesla and stock radio constantly haha

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alright I need your expertise again @SitKneelBend the connector was in good shape, even tried unplugging and replugging as it was on and nothing ever changed. Aftermarket antenna worked immediately but there was an error on the display to see the dealer. Mind walking me through how to get to the antenna

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If your antenna is in the rear driver side roof, you can remove the driver side C pillar (screw up top under flap and seatbelt bolt).

afb9b0d1132d9479b28b42511ce8e89a.jpg

Then remove the two screws for the garment hooks above the rear window. It's best to remove both garment hooks.

cf687ce50247c258f85e3d47d14f7315.jpg

I don't remember exactly but I think the rear dome light (if present) is attached to the headliner and doesn't require unfastening but if it seems like it's hanging there check for screws.

Finally, I didn't remove any screws on the driver's B pillar but I had enough play to move the headliner around it without damage. If this is the case, you should now have enough access to disconnect the antenna from under the headliner and access the but that fastens the antenna to the roof (you'll need a crescent wrench of some kind).

I wouldn't try removing the antenna right away if you have another antenna to test with. If your aftermarket antenna can plug into where the factory antenna plugs in under the headliner you can rule out the wiring/connections between the antenna and the radio as the problem.

You can also try plugging your current OEM antenna directly into the radio to further diagnose where the signal problem us coming from. If you can't get signal with a direct connection, it may be the antenna itself that's at fault.

If you don't get signal, there are multiple connections between there and the radio that could be the culprit and it may be easier to just use the aftermarket antenna. Conversely, you could go with your original plan of having the warranty take care of it.

Let me know if something doesn't make sense...

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Really appreciate it! I'll keep you posted brother thank you again.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Any thoughts out there?

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well @SitKneelBend glad you gave me the idea to test first before buying a new antenna. Sure enough pulled down the headliner enough to get to the connections, unplugged the factory antenna, plugged in the aftermarket and still get the same "acquiring signal" message with no audio. So the problem seems to definitely be the pathway from the radio to the antenna.

@RamCares I'm going to need to setup with a dealer for service and hope they'll do the right thing and trace back the problem and fix it. Should I open a case with you now or wait until it's in for service?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Well @SitKneelBend glad you gave me the idea to test first before buying a new antenna. Sure enough pulled down the headliner enough to get to the connections, unplugged the factory antenna, plugged in the aftermarket and still get the same "acquiring signal" message with no audio. So the problem seems to definitely be the pathway from the radio to the antenna.

@RamCares I'm going to need to setup with a dealer for service and hope they'll do the right thing and trace back the problem and fix it. Should I open a case with you now or wait until it's in for service?

Please send us a private message once you have an appointment. I would be happy to get a case open for you.

Alison
RamCares

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same issues depending on where I am in the city ( Calgary) or just north of here. My Sirius/XM cuts out and displays "Aquiring Signal". It is very annoying. No issues in my wife's '18 Cherokee. What gives???

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the same issues depending on where I am in the city ( Calgary) or just north of here. My Sirius/XM cuts out and displays "Aquiring Signal". It is very annoying. No issues in my wife's '18 Cherokee. What gives???
If it is only in certain areas it is a coverage issue. This is a hardware issue. I still haven't had time to make an appointment honestly for it. I had a buddy who had horrible coverage problems. Biggest issue he had was any time he'd mention it to the dealer it would work for them.

Macfolk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am having the same issue in the "flatlands" of Florida, where it should not be a problem. If there are buildings around, I lose signal, even if it is in only one direction, oddly enough. What aftermarket antenna do you recommend? Thanks!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
In my experience, the SXM antenna (or possibly the connections in between) on these vehicles is just not that great.

OP
OP
mdifilippo

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares
I reached out via pm would love to hear back thanks