So Long Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You paid cash? That’s friggin AWESOME!

You know how weird that makes you? Lol.

If you paid cash, you probably did get a decent deal.

The X plan is still a load of crap. You walk in with cash, and YOU determine the price.

Cash......that is so impressive.
some dealerships will not give you a deal if you pay cash. Dennis Dillon (4th largest Ram dealership in the world) will not deal if paying cash they want you to finance thru their lender which is a total rip off. I am neighbors to the GM of the Ram dealership here and he said they prefer financing vs cash altho they deal either way.

Salesman at Dave Smith told me that during the oil boom in the Bakkens they had people come in all the time with bags of cash paying for high end diesel trucks. He said sometimes 3 or 4 would show up driving a beater and just leave it parked as they drove back to North Dakota in new trucks

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You paid cash? That’s friggin AWESOME!

You know how weird that makes you? Lol.

If you paid cash, you probably did get a decent deal.

The X plan is still a load of crap. You walk in with cash, and YOU determine the price.

Cash......that is so impressive.

Follow Dave Ramsey (see YouTube) and you can pay cash some day too.

I grew up on a farm South of Buffalo, NY and as a kid in the '70s, when Bethlehem Steel shuttered, the repo men were busy. And I knew when I grew up, that I didn't want to ever go through that. My wife also grew up REAL poor. And we learned from a young age about the importance of earning, saving, and giving. And yes, I have financed stuff, but you will be amazed once you don't have any debt how fast your savings grow and how much extra you have when you aren't paying the bank interest and stuck in the endless payment cycle.

And it wasn't that hard, my Ram was paid for and I got $25,000 for it. And I had another $25,000+ saved up in the vehicle fund (again, imagine if you didn't have a vehicle payment but put that money into savings every month).

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Follow Dave Ramsey (see YouTube) and you can pay cash some day too.

I grew up on a farm South of Buffalo, NY and as a kid in the '70s, when Bethlehem Steel shuttered, the repo men were busy. And I knew when I grew up, that I didn't want to ever go through that. My wife also grew up REAL poor. And we learned from a young age about the importance of earning, saving, and giving. And yes, I have financed stuff, but you will be amazed once you don't have any debt how fast your savings grow and how much extra you have when you aren't paying the bank interest and stuck in the endless payment cycle.

And it wasn't that hard, my Ram was paid for and I got $25,000 for it. And I had another $25,000+ saved up in the vehicle fund (again, imagine if you didn't have a vehicle payment but put that money into savings every month).

Was paying $600/month for my brand new Ram. Sold it a week ago, as mentioned earlier, and saving for a house. Between car note/insurance/gas my monthly savings is gonna be huge.

granted I won’t be paying for my house in cash, but I want a big down payment to avoid a large mortgage. I will continue to save until I can afford the truck I want.

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I bought nothing but Ford products from 1991 through 2017. In 2018 I decided I had enough of Ford. Three vehicles in a row were very problematic. The 2015 F150 ecoboost blew the engine at 23k and they had to install a new long block. The 2013 Escape had paint pealing and fit finish issues galore. The 2018 F150 had the freezing door lock issue and the sunroof broke at 8k. Instead of replacing the whole track, they put a repair kit on it. That was the last straw for me. I really feel Ford quality control has suffered in recent years.

In 2018 I bought my first RAM. It was a Black Crystal EcoDiesel in Laramie Crew Cab trim. A beautiful truck.

I traded it in for a 2020 1500 Longhorn with the 6.4 bed. This truck was beautiful on the inside. It was nice on the outside but too much chrome and it was white(least favorite color). I am not into all the electronic nannies and dealing with the leather surfaces all over that interior.

So when I got a crazy trade in offer I moved up to the BigHorn 3500 Dually I have now. I am perfectly happy with interior and it has all the things I need. The one thing I would never compromise on is the heated seats and steering wheel. Once you have it you won’t want to be without it.

I have not had a single significant issue with any of the RAM trucks. Reminds me of how Ford used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fraleywp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Thats awesome! My dads 77 had been in a very minor accident and it had the 78 grill in it. His looked just like that! His had these graphics on the side in white and it had a duck painting back window. I forget what they called it! Thats so cool!

View attachment 249424

These are the best looking Ford trucks IMO.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
These are the best looking Ford trucks IMO.

I agree! I did really like the 97-04 Lightnings. I had a 93 Lightning it was a sharp truck!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you wish you still had it?

Some days I do. They have become very collectible now days. I traded it for a 70 454 700r4 El Camino. It at the time was worth double the money. It would have been fun to dive into now with all the modern EFI stuff. Speed density was really hard to work around. It had 45k miles on it.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Kinda interesting how the grille on the new 150's look similar to the Ram's...

born2win

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yea, It is definitely a sellers market(not dealerships) right now. I wouldn't say it's that good of a time to buy. Over here in Oregon dealerships are also not giving any good deals on Trucks. Going to wait it out for Covid to die down some more. My last RAM dealership didn't have ANY deals. They already have small inventory with 10 or so trucks so they don't budge on the price to get the biggest bang for the buck. Not falling for it.

Kenneth Gunther

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 2017 Ford F-150 Limited in White for 3 years. I had a 3.5 L eco-boost engine in it. I will admit that the interior was more luxurious than my current 2020 ram Limited. But not by much. I will however say, that the ride on the ram his head and shoulders above the ride I had on the F150. Even after I put a 4 inch BDS with kit in the ram somehow it rides even better. it might be because I went from a 22 inch wheel to a 20 inch wheel and that there is a lot more rubber between me and the road.
The reason I traded it in was because my warrantee had run out and I had already had numerous issues with the transmission. It was the first 10 speed tranny that GM and Ford co-manufactured. With less than 4000 miles on it I had to bring the Ford in and have the auxiliary pump replaced. About a year and a half into owning the vehicle I had approximately 13,000 miles on it and I had to have the transmission rebuilt. Of times I brought the truck in for transmission problems I would be sitting at a red light and it felt like somebody bumped into my bumper with another vehicle. After they rebuild the transmission they added a two year warranty onto the tranny. 80% of my friends who are also retired firefighters on Dodge ram trucks. They continually told me that I need to take one for a test drive. Once I test drove it I was sold. I traded in the Ford for the ram! I expect I will buy another ram limited in one or two more years. I attached photos of both trucks

0C8A9528-A53C-408E-95D5-AAFBD0992D5D.jpeg

1287AFAF-988A-4A28-825A-20A72670E387.jpeg

D79A718F-A1D2-45AF-AB57-70CDA6E570AD.jpeg

01C5B698-4602-40A8-8F79-7126AF2CF4D2.jpeg

KenOfAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought my 2020 Ram almost exactly a year ago. I wanted and F150 but they wouldn't budge on the price and wouldn't give much for my trade. So I bought my Ram for about $8K less (when you consider trade in allowance) than the F150. And I have never looked back. I like the looks, power of the Hemi, and decent gas mileage for the power. This Ram is the best pickup I have ever owned. If it stays dependable, I will be buying another new one in about 8~9 years.

OP
OP
T

Trail Ryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2020 Ram almost exactly a year ago. I wanted and F150 but they wouldn't budge on the price and wouldn't give much for my trade. So I bought my Ram for about $8K less (when you consider trade in allowance) than the F150. And I have never looked back. I like the looks, power of the Hemi, and decent gas mileage for the power. This Ram is the best pickup I have ever owned. If it stays dependable, I will be buying another new one in about 8~9 years.
When I bought my low mile 2015 Ram 1500 in 2016, comparable F150s were $8,000 to $10,000 more.

When I bought my new 2021 Ford F150 last week, comparable new Ram 1500s were $5,000 to $10,000 more.

It's good to have choices. And my wife and I wanted a 2020 or 2021 Ram 1500 5.7L but again, I just couldn't find any deals (even with affiliate pricing). I feel bad too as my employer makes parts for the current gen Ram 1500.