So...what do 4:10 gears and 33 inch tires feel like?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
This isn't an end all be all definitive thread on the subject, BUT...

This thread will be about My impressions of having a the 3.55 gears in a 4x4 Ram replaced with 4:10's and the useless worn out LSD replaced with a Detroit tru trac.

The truck itself is your basic QCSB Ram. 5.9 gas engine, Auto 46RE (rebuilt) Trailer prep/HD cooling package, air, cruise etc. Built for commercial (import) use it lacks carpet and certain power luxuries. Theres about 160k on the odometer

Mods include a 5 inch suspension made from a mix of parts. The engine has a polished TB, catback exhaust, MSD coil, and fancy wires. Hemifever provided a custom tune based off his 87 octane tune.

Tires are Goodyear AT's 305/7016. This size tire is no longer made, so I may be going up to a 315 once these are done

Transmission has a shift kit, deep pan and aftermarket cooler. The check valve is gone.

Until this week, the corporate 9.25 rear diff and D-44 front had 3:55 gears. But when I did a long overdue fluid change this fall, the rear diff was full of particles and pieces.
100_0363.JPG .

100_0362.JPG

True to form, the factory trac loc LSD was about to self destruct. The metallic pieces are bits of clutch plate material and the metal fragments are retaining clips. The fluid looked like metallic paint.
While cleaning out the case and replacing the diff oil may have slowed the process, the outcome was inevitable.
Sooner or later the metallic particles would wear out the bearings. The nearly too small pinion bearing would be the first to yield to the punishment. There would be the warning death howl, and then the instant and motion stopping carnage.

Thusly I began to make plans to pay for a gear swap and a non clutch pack differential. That lead me the Tru trac.

Big D's 4wd in Tulsa were chosen to do the work.
Motive gears provided the rear set, and Dana supplied the front gears. Bearings were hand picked US made, in addition a transfer case saver was installed. I'd already had a 4:10 and lower front carrier which was worn but serviceable.
Dallas and Justin did a great job on the install and ran the 3 critical initial heat cycles to assure a proper break in.
Lastly, no more chrome! I'm a powder coat man. Chrome covers will be for sale soon.

IMG_20190308_142943.jpg

Then the truck was turned over to me...with explicit instructions on how to run the next 500 miles through the rest of break in.

Still there are initial impressions even with a light and careful foot on how things are going to go.

First ... I must get the speedometer /BCM flashed. I may need to adjust shifting.

Hardly any throttle is needed to leave a stop light. A slight increase in throttle now feels like a rocket compared to the 3.55's
Highway on ramps are easier, and while rpms are slightly higher at cruise, mileage seems to have improved...it certainly hasn't gone down!

My theory on this is simple, the engine now resides within it's power band, and requires less gas to get moving and more importantly, maintain a given speed. I will attempt to do a gas mileage check once the break in period is past.

Will it burn rubber? I've got 434 miles to go before I find out.

Last edited:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Congrats on your new gears! You will be very pleased with the results.
I went from 3.55 to 4.10 gears as well about 10 years ago, also with 33" tires. The difference is amazing. My truck used to downshift at even the slightest incline. I found my gas mileage stayed about the same but with much more power. Towing my travel trailer was like night and day.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Sweet. I've been wanting to do a 4:10 swap for years and someday I may finally do it, LOL.

I like the design of the True Trac and totally wanna get one because open diffs suck. Hell, the other day, I tried to drive my lane in 2wd (it's STILL covered in ice) and was quite embarrassed when I got stuck at the crest of a hill because, well, one wheel was on the exposed gravel and the other was on a sheet of ice. Guess which side all of the power went to?

JustinH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
This is also on my to do list. 4.10s and I was wanting a selectable locker for racing purposes and occasional light off road I'm also 2wd but thinking of going with a leveling kit and and larger tires. Looking forward to seeing you next post of the swap.

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Right now I've got just about 300 indicated miles on the truck.
I'm trying not to push the envelope during the break in but it's tough!

Low end is so responsive, and I can hear the inner rear tire scratching on the pavement as I corner. It appears I may have had a slight mileage increase but that may be a fallacy because I think my speedometer/odometer is off.

As an aside, the Redhead steering box I installed continues to impress as well.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
After the gear change I found my speedo and odometer read 10% fast. So I know if my speedo reads 77mph I'm actually going 70mph.

dodge truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from 3.55 to 4.10 on 32" tires. My driving is mostly hills and love the acceleration. The transmission now knows what to do and will hold a gear going uphill. Fuel mileage when up in the city, hiway stayed about the same 12-13 MPG.

I went with the alburn traction unit. Just going from open to posi is a nice off line acceleration boost.

OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
OP
OP
Okiespaniel

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I must tell y'all that the Gibson headers provided a nice low end boost that really compliment the gears.

One more tank of gas should have the ECM educated, then I'll bolt on the 53mm TB.