Sound proofing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5hole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm looking to put some sound deadening material in my wife's compass due to a lot of road noise and put some in the doors of my ram. I already put dynaliner on the floor and back wall of the ram. It helped some I would say nothing too great and I used the dynaliner because that's what's readily accessible. So can anyone suggest something better without breaking the bank?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Vibration dampening material is just that, vibration dampening. If you want sound deadening then you want to use a layer of closed cell foam and some mass loaded vinyl on top of that. Ensolite has been popular forever, I personally use Second Skin's Luxury Liner Pro as it's a CCF and MLV sandwiched together. It's even cheaper if you get the B-stock if any is available. Lined the floor, trans tunnel, and back wall of the truck and you'd never know there was a road under there except for what gets through the firewall.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 black Crew Cab Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the Frost King duct insulation you can get it at Lowes or Home depot a roll runs about $19.00. I used 2 layers on the doors and back wall. Plus I did some underneath the rugs. One of my friends was driving with me and he said that it was as quiet as a limousine. Two rolls cost me a little over 40 dollars. I would try it you will hear the difference. I did just about my whole CC with two rolls. Check out this you tube video.
Bob

Dynamat Project Complete!!!! Peel and Seal vs. Frost Kings Air Duct Insulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-63s5qkyUJc

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Get some loud speakers on the radio.

OP
OP

5hole

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Already got the loud speakers but my nine year old ain't digging that.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Vibration dampening material is just that, vibration dampening. If you want sound deadening then you want to use a layer of closed cell foam and some mass loaded vinyl on top of that. Ensolite has been popular forever, I personally use Second Skin's Luxury Liner Pro as it's a CCF and MLV sandwiched together. It's even cheaper if you get the B-stock if any is available. Lined the floor, trans tunnel, and back wall of the truck and you'd never know there was a road under there except for what gets through the firewall.

Nailed it... dampener has a very specific purpose, eliminating road noise is not it.
Sound proofing will be very time consuming, expensive, but worth it IMO. I did my truck in sections (it's my daily driver) but now I can hear my passenger breathing at 75mph. Like mentioned above, it'll be a CCF/MLV combo. Some guys go as far as under the hood, firewall, and inner wheel wells. I went to a home audio website and got bulk for a fairly reasonable price. Free shipping will be HUGE when it comes to MLV....it is heavy stuff.
If you do it in sections...you will notice a difference and it can snow ball due to how effective it can be. It's tedious work tho

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've always used dynaliner for sound deadening, but I hear Focal makes some now that's top notch.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
MLV is where it is at for sure and when you are looking at specs on it make sure you get at least 1lb per 1sqft as that seems to be the standard in mobile audio. Oh and the higher the weight per sqft the better.