Spare tire problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They haven't had a full size spare for awhile.My 14 came with a "Temporary" spare on a steel rim,and i don't think i've ever seen a spare tire that was on a factory "Alloy" rim that matched the other 4 "Alloy" rims on the truck,even on the other makes of trucks

IIRC, my spare is the same size as my Winter tires but not a similar tread to a BGF All Terrain. :cool: 245/75/17.

It might be a 245/70/17 but I'm not crawling under the truck until it warms up a bit more. On a warmer day, I might also test to see if a proper full-sized (off my truck) would fit in the spare hanger space.

It would be very evil to have to use the purported to be, full-sized spare along with the BFGs during the winter months.

The feature sheet for my truck claims to have a full-sized spare. They indicate inches but I don't see any further details.

Spare Wheel Size (inches) Full-Size

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
IIRC, my spare is the same size as my Winter tires but not a similar tread to a BGF All Terrain. :cool: 245/75/17.

It might be a 245/70/17 but I'm not crawling under the truck until it warms up a bit more. On a warmer day, I might also test to see if a proper full-sized (off my truck) would fit in the spare hanger space.

It would be very evil to have to use the purported to be, full-sized spare along with the BFGs during the winter months.

The feature sheet for my truck claims to have a full-sized spare. They indicate inches but I don't see any further details.

Spare Wheel Size (inches) Full-Size

My Temporary spare for my 14 is a 235/80 /17 GoodYear

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Temporary spare for my 14 is a 235/80 /17 GoodYear

Now I want to roll under my truck on a creeper and see if my memory is defective. The 80 profile sounds a bit familiar and makes me wonder. :)

On second thought, I'll go get more wood from the woodshed instead.

Then I'll look at my virtual owner's manual from the couch, by the fire. :cool:

Maybe, freezing under the truck will be easier.

spare tire hits.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Now I want to roll under my truck on a creeper and see if my memory is defective. The 80 profile sounds a bit familiar and makes me wonder. :)

On second thought, I'll go get more wood from the woodshed instead.

Then I'll look at my virtual owner's manual from the couch, by the fire. :cool:

Maybe, freezing under the truck will be easier.

View attachment 535448

My spare is under my deck,so it was easy to check,lol

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Holy cow. I'm an idiot. It felt like it was just spinning because it was. It was that lose. Like I could just turn it with my fingers and there was two like that. Thanks for all the info. Problem solved and all lugs checked that tightened. Thanks all
I lost my hearing aids one time , looked all over hell , wife said, look in your ears idiot.
I found them.
Know where everything is , but people just move it on me.
Funny thing is I remember important stuff, what my first car cost, $70.oo ,first handgun was also 70.oo, and who has the best deal on chips.

I have my build sheets for my truck on the computer, so just looked , I have 20 in polished wheels, the spare is " full sizes temporary use spare tire" so a POS tire on a cheap ass steel wheel I guess. Reminds me of the honda guy I seen that was using a donut wheel on the front and winter came , and he was buggered. But his tail pipe was top drawer.

Now that I think about it, it does not say what size the temp spare is , but I am not going to look this winter.
My winter tire are high profile 17" studded that match the factory 20 " (the height)

Last edited:

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I didn’t read all the comments so excuse me if I am posting something already answered but yes the lug nuts have a lame soft steel cover on them. I switched to solid steel they are more expensive but I think they are worth it

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OK, now I feel a bit silly.

For our next at-home quiz, how much clearance is available in the spare area on a 4th gen 1500 Classic?

View attachment 535453

BTW, my spare was on the door jamb tire placard. :cool:

I also need to proof read better,i said mine was an 80 series,and it's actually an 85 series tire,lol

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They haven't had a full size spare for awhile.My 14 came with a "Temporary" spare on a steel rim,and i don't think i've ever seen a spare tire that was on a factory "Alloy" rim that matched the other 4 "Alloy" rims on the truck,even on the other makes of trucks
My 18 and 22 2500's came with full sized, same as OEM tires spares. But they were/are on cheap and ugly steel rims.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
GM has been doing the different size "temporary spare" tires for years. I found a 3rd gen 20" steel wheel and put a matching size tire on it for my truck.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I run 35x12.50 tires so I have to have a full sized tire and I hate the lame way that they are stored on my truck. So I built a tire carrier for it. I plan to an auxiliary fuel tank in that spot. I don’t carry my spare tire all the time usually just when I go camping or on long trips.

Attachments

• IMG_0545.jpeg
    IMG_0545.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 13

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GM has been doing the different size "temporary spare" tires for years. I found a 3rd gen 20" steel wheel and put a matching size tire on it for my truck.
I did this also...found it on Craigslist $25 brand new with tire..unfortunately I had to change the tire to match the bigger 34.1"tires i have...does not fit up underneath...so pissed

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
At least they're still putting a spare in the trucks,they haven't put a spare in the Challengers/Chargers/300's for years ,they figure the sub for the radio is a better option,but hey they give you a can of tire fix,lol.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
At least they're still putting a spare in the trucks,they haven't put a spare in the Challengers/Chargers/300's for years ,they figure the sub for the radio is a better option,but hey they give you a can of tire fix,lol.
They figure not many are capable of changing a flat , and it probably lessens their liability for the smart people who drop their cars on themselves.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They figure not many are capable of changing a flat , and it probably lessens their liability for the smart people who drop their cars on themselves.
Probably part of the reason.

The wife's 21 Pacifica didn't come with a spare. Came with some kind of lame air compressor and a can of fix-a-flat. Flats are, unfortunately, fairly common where we live, and she takes it on road trips pretty often. So I built up a full size spare for it, got a real jack and a good lug wrench. Made her practice with it too. Spare takes up a fair amount of space in the boot, but we both feel better about having it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did this also...found it on Craigslist $25 brand new with tire..unfortunately I had to change the tire to match the bigger 34.1"tires i have...does not fit up underneath...so pissed
you could just let the air out and wedge it up ;)

One time I stopped to check on a 1/2t on the side of the road, a couple out side it and wintertime. They had a flat, and a spare, up under the back , it was frozen under there, nothing moved, the truck was 10 yrs old and spare never used.
He did have a jack, so we pulled the flat off and I took them to town and got a tire put on and took them back out, was not that far, and it was daylight.
So check them , before you need it.

When we drive around on country roads , those wheel fill up with dirt and gravel and freeze up in winter.
I use to like the spare on the inside of the box, if you wanted to show off you had one on each side. But then we got box covers and that don't work anymore.

Last edited:

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK, now I feel a bit silly.

For our next at-home quiz, how much clearance is available in the spare area on a 4th gen 1500 Classic?

View attachment 535453

BTW, my spare was on the door jamb tire placard. :cool:

You can get a full size spare in there easily. I bought a full size 20" steel wheel from Ram and put a LT275/60R20 on it. It fits fine.

I did add a ratchet strap to help hold it in there as I didn't want all that weight just hanging off the spare tire cable.

I tow a travel trailer in the summer a bit and the donut spare is just not going to cut it if I get a flat while towing.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The seized spare tire winches is one of the reasons I built my carrier. Plus if you are stuck and can’t get it out you are f”@&$ed not such a big deal if you’re in a city potentially life threatening in the bush

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The seized spare tire winches is one of the reasons I built my carrier. Plus if you are stuck and can’t get it out you are f”@&$ed not such a big deal if you’re in a city potentially life threatening in the bush
I kinda like the way you did that tire mount..I don't see a tailgate.
Is it off the truck?does it stay off the truck? or does the pic just not show it?
you could just let the air out and wedge it up ;)

One time I stopped to check on a 1/2t on the side of the road, a couple out side it and wintertime. They had a flat, and a spare, up under the back , it was frozen under there, nothing moved, the truck was 10 yrs old and spare never used.
He did have a jack, so we pulled the flat off and I took them to town and got a tire put on and took them back out, was not that far, and it was daylight.
So check them , before you need it.

When we drive around on country roads , those wheel fill up with dirt and gravel and freeze up in winter.
I use to like the spare on the inside of the box, if you wanted to show off you had one on each side. But then we got box covers and that don't work anymore.
I thought of that and did try that with letting the air out just to see if that would do it(not that i would leave that way but i tried)..still no go.
I have the factory Reese hitch thing that mounts on the bumper(big bolt where a ball would go and I think 2 side bolts underneath if i remember right- been awhile since i put that on,truck didnt have a reese type settup)so I dunno if thats a/the reason or not.spare just lays in the bed now in the way whenever I toss sumthing in there.
About the freezing...I never worry about that issue way down here in sw fla.....lol

EDIT...I just searched this hitch as I wasnt sure when I said factory...doesn't look like it's factory..just the reese brand...my apologies.

Last edited: