Spare tire problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did your's look like they had the same low clearance levels, the same as the OP's?

I have the 20-inch chrome clad wheels and I just used the 22mm deep socket black oxide for impact guns that I use for all my 2500 and 3500 Chevy trucks. If anything, I think the impact socket is on the thicker side.

OP
OP
W

winedawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I bought a socket that works BUT they just spin. Is there a chrome cover on the lug nut. How do I take that off. I'm really disappointed with Ram right now

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I bought a socket that works BUT they just spin. Is there a chrome cover on the lug nut. How do I take that off. I'm really disappointed with Ram right now

That sounds like the socket isn't properly seated on the lug nut. Is there any chance that the socket is seated against the plastic cladding somewhere?

OP
OP
W

winedawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy cow. I'm an idiot. It felt like it was just spinning because it was. It was that lose. Like I could just turn it with my fingers and there was two like that. Thanks for all the info. Problem solved and all lugs checked that tightened. Thanks all

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy cow. I'm an idiot. It felt like it was just spinning because it was. It was that lose. Like I could just turn it with my fingers and there was two like that. Thanks for all the info. Problem solved and all lugs checked that tightened. Thanks all
Torque Wrench Sir, TQ to 130 ft Lbs. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TQ sequence also.

ADDED: YUP, it always makes sense to check things that are important and can impact your safety. What size socket did U get?

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
and just fer c h i t s and giggles, here is the sequences: Once U have gone through the pattern once I always go back through a second time, just an old habit from playing with Humvee wheels, and something I have done, known for a long time.

lugs.JPG

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

How did you manage to get the socket properly seated on the lug nuts?

I recall some time in my past having a similar issue on somebody's wheels.

AFAIR, I had to forcibly push the socket against the wheel to compress the cladding sufficiently to get purchase on the lug nuts. Quite the PITA.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm. Well, just go to AutoZone and search on "PowerBuilt Billy Club Lug Wrench"
I thought U were doing a funny till looked up, and behold it is a thing, LOL.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Is the lug but capped. I know you figured it out but imagine you toque it oiff that it just spins w/o loosening. It is an issue with cappened lugs, see pics. This is why a lot of us move to solid lugs. If someday you are gonna upgrade those ihsy plastic oem cr@p rims, you might want to get the right color lugs. So black if you will get black rims.

3189zfNR7DL._SY445_SX342_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

solid lug nut...

s-l1600.jpg

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I keep one in my 2500, as it allows me to break the lug nuts free easily on the road. I use a 4 way at home.
Ah, the old 4 ways. Been a while since I've used any of mine, maybe time to get rid of them. I have some of the stronger battery powered impacts from DeWalt and Ingersoll Rand. My newest DeWalt (DCF900) has several strength settings. So I snug up the lugs on the low setting and finish with a torque wrench.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
For many years, the OEM lug nut wrench and jack included with most vehicles has been a complete joke. They're not designed to be used, they're covering the manufacturers a$$ that they have supplied sufficient tools not to leave you stranded.

I beg to differ. At least for my own Ram 1500 the OEM lug wrench and jack kit has performed well enough several times...

The real problem is the so-called "matching full size" spare. I've been buying trucks and SUVs for towing for 40 years. This was the first time I bought a vehicle with a towing package and 4wd that didn't come with a matching, meaning identical, rim and tire for the spare. Not only was the "full-size" spare too narrow, it only had enough tread to be barely street legal. Only Stelantis would do this on a truck with 4 ATV tires outfitted for towing. I was so pissed, I refused to take delivery until they got me a 5th matching rim and tire for a spare. It was a special order truck, the sales guys were pissed because I'd been working with them for months to get a truck equipped for off road towing. They knew what we had ordered. The order sheet even said "matching full size rim and tire". Apparently the real problem was that Stellantis was running out of rims and tires, so they swapped out the $500 alloy rim and tire, no credit, no discount, no nothing on the paperwork. To Stelantis, a matching full size spare means that the outside diameter of the tire is the same, but nothing else is. Not the load rating, not the traction rating, not the speed rating. This is the real scandal.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I recently bought a 2021 1500 lonestar. It didn't come with a kit for the jack so I bought one online. The lug wrench fits the nuts but it won't fit in the slot. The plastic chrome wheel covers makes it so the wrench won't slide into the slot. Anyone else with
this problem or do I have the wrong lug wrench. Thanks in advance
You looked under the seats, on the newer ones ,behind the rear seat? Don't all trucks come with jacks, not that they are worth much. I carry a long HD bar and Ratchet and set of sockets
I run winter wheel& tires and they use a special splined socket.
Think the last time I changed a tire was in 1998 or 9. On the farm I had a 20ton floor jack.
Dad use to carry a small china crap one in the back of the truck, Better then nothing and the factory POS. If you don't have jack or spare, that is when you will have a flat seems like.

Some people it would not matter as they can't change a wheel, run into that a couple times

BTW, I would maybe talk to the dealership or a top line tire shop and ask about those covers, look different them mine are , I have no problem, but the nuts stick out more, mine is older thou.

A ps , while I have the same spare tire ( I think) the wheel is not the chrome one, it is just the basic blk steel. I have let it down and up to check the winch, but never had it on the truck. Last truck ,I don't remember .

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I beg to differ. At least for my own Ram 1500 the OEM lug wrench and jack kit has performed well enough several times...

The real problem is the so-called "matching full size" spare. I've been buying trucks and SUVs for towing for 40 years. This was the first time I bought a vehicle with a towing package and 4wd that didn't come with a matching, meaning identical, rim and tire for the spare. Not only was the "full-size" spare too narrow, it only had enough tread to be barely street legal. Only Stelantis would do this on a truck with 4 ATV tires outfitted for towing. I was so pissed, I refused to take delivery until they got me a 5th matching rim and tire for a spare. It was a special order truck, the sales guys were pissed because I'd been working with them for months to get a truck equipped for off road towing. They knew what we had ordered. The order sheet even said "matching full size rim and tire". Apparently the real problem was that Stellantis was running out of rims and tires, so they swapped out the $500 alloy rim and tire, no credit, no discount, no nothing on the paperwork. To Stelantis, a matching full size spare means that the outside diameter of the tire is the same, but nothing else is. Not the load rating, not the traction rating, not the speed rating. This is the real scandal.
They haven't had a full size spare for awhile.My 14 came with a "Temporary" spare on a steel rim,and i don't think i've ever seen a spare tire that was on a factory "Alloy" rim that matched the other 4 "Alloy" rims on the truck,even on the other makes of trucks