Spare wheel/tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
If I understand correctly, a 35x12.5 tire should work in the factory spare location provided that you air it down and have a good pump for when you need it. I don’t remember reading whether I can use an aftermarket wheel (method nv 18x9) in the factory spare location. Anybody know if it’s doable?

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
If I understand correctly, a 35x12.5 tire should work in the factory spare location provided that you air it down and have a good pump for when you need it. I don’t remember reading whether I can use an aftermarket wheel (method nv 18x9) in the factory spare location. Anybody know if it’s doable?
It fits air down. For some it takes 2 people to put it up there though. One for the crank and one under it pushing it around, and saying wordy dirtys. Haha.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
It probably would work if the center cap can be removed.

JHD1827

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't tried yet but I will say any wheel will fit. The tire is the only limiting factor. The wheel is held up by a cable with T bar on the end that goes through the center hub section of the wheel. If I step up to 35's my plan is to keep the factory spare rim. I think the steel T will mar up your pretty wheel over time. The only reason I would buy a 5th wheel would be if it was a bed mounted 37. If you haven't yet drop your spare to get an idea of what your working with. It may be possible to add some rubber pads to the T but I think road grime/dust will still wear a spot on the wheel. Good luck!

Im going to test fit a 35 off my Jeep before I make the change. My factory spare is 1/8" from touching the heat shield. I'm not convinced a 35 will fit until it does..

TerrysWagon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I was able to get a 35x12.5 in the spare stow spot but I had to air it all the way down and since I don’t have on board air that kinda defeated the purpose and I removed it.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Watch out for dry rotted,heat cracked tread.