Spark plug change questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew A Kenning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FYI - My truck is a 2014 1500 5.7 has 110k miles on it and is running great. Changing plugs in line with the 100k mile maintenance. Not noticing and issues with idle or anything.

I am gathering up materials to change my plugs. I have a few lingering questions that I haven't been able to find by browsing the forums.

1. I am finding 2 plugs that are recommended for my truck

NKG 4469 (Iridium IX)or NKG 92145 (Iridium Laser) - I have read both recommended here on the forums. They both seem very similar and both appear to fit the vehicle. Anyone know which are preferred?

2. Im looking at the 6inch gearwrench swivel, but noticed they offer a 3 pack swivel set that includes the 4", 6" and 11" swivel. Ive read both the 4 inch and 6 inch have been used on this forum. The 6" seems to be used more. My question is does the 6 inch swivel do the job or would I be better off with the set of 3 different sizes?

3. My last question is regarding the coils, does it make since to replace the coils along with the plugs?

Thanks for all the help this forum has been to me. I just changed my manifold bolts, and without all the valuable info I found here and the excellent responses I received I wouldn't have been able to do it! No more ticking!!

Matt

Funkychateau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used the 6” today, and I’m happy with it. Worked fine on all but cylinder 7. Might work fine on that one also, just had to leave the project and go shoot some pool. Will find out tomorrow if it’s a do-all tool.

This socket works a lot better than the oft-referenced piece of fuel line for hand-starting the new plugs. The OD fits the head bore close enough to provide centering guidance.

OK, I’m editing my post to add that the tool also works fine to access cylinder #7. So it’s the only socket you need.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Go to the Rockauto website
enter your vehicle description, year model, engine size

Click on IGNITION & scroll down to spark plugs

I find the best thing about Rockauto is that they have notes on each applicable part
I usually go with OEM & read the notes

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990