Speaker Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Average J0e

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Lone Star SLT 1500 Rambox
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
I want to upgrade my 6 speaker non-alpine, no amp or sub system. I'm going to keep the 8.4 head and don't plan on adding an amp or sub. I'm torn between several speaker brands. I've been comparing Sonic Electronics and Crutchfield for speakers. Below are a few that I have been looking towards. I've always liked Cerwin Vega home and Pro series and JBL home speakers. But the write ups I have seen on the MTX brand say they put out the best bass.

1. Cerwin Vega H7694 - Rear doors
Cerwin-Vega V469 - Front doors
Cerwin Vega H735 - Dash

2. MTX Thunder693 - All doors
JBL Club 322F - Dash

JBL Club 9632 - All doors

JBL Club 322F - Dash

I'm looking for your input on what you think sound the best with a stock head, even if it's not listed above.
So tell me what you like the best and why please!

Thanks in advance!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had Kicker 6x9s front n rear in my 17 and left the dash alone(just sold the 3.5s), sounded good on oem head unit.
I put Focal IC-690s front n rear in my 19 then after a bit added CDT unity 8 2" dash speakers on oem head unit. Sounded awsome but not awsome enough so added kicker key amp.

Just the Focals on oem radio was a GREAT upgrade and not too pricey imo

atc06jh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would go with option 2. MTX has always been great for bass and JBL has come a looonnngggg ways. Kinda makes me want to look into this setup as well now.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
I put infinity primus 6x9s front and back doors, they come with spacers that you can use to get them to fit the front. They are far clearer than stock and they are only 2.7 ohm. Installed them yesterday, I just wish our factory deck had a more useful EQ, it is god awful.

update: after several hours of listening and messing with the EQ, I ended up going back to stock. Some songs sounded great on the primus speakers, but many just hurt to listen to. Way too much treble, not enough mid or bass and I maxed the EQ out trying to get it right.

Last edited:

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm going a different direction for door speakers.
I upgraded to 75w Rockford Fosgate 6x9s a couple years ago. Well, sounds like 2 of them have bit the dust and the fact that most 6x9 are ill fitting in the doors I decided to go with separates.
6.5" midrange and a 1" tweet. Need to use an 6x9 to 6.5" speaker adapter but pricing on these seemed pretty expensive for flimsy plastic. I decided to make my own out of plywood. Easy enough. Take a OEM speaker, trace around it and cut it out with a jigsaw. I stacked 4 10" square pieces of plywood and cut them all at once. I used a 5.75" hole saw to cut the hole the same way. Eazy pezy. :D
I threw on a walnut stain to darken them up.
I chose SKAR speakers. Quality is pretty good and not too expensive. If you want to check these out buy factory direct for best pricing. www.skaraudio.com
I hope to get these installed this weekend so I'll report end results if anyone cares.

IMG_20210616_080939473.jpg IMG_20210616_080956886.jpg
IMG_20210616_081122807.jpg