Speaker upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all. Want more and better sound quality out of my 8.4” non Alpine stereo system. Definitely want to upgrade the factory speakers. Does anyone who has already done it have any suggestions? And also contemplating maybe adding an amp, but I know our trucks have very sensitive electrical systems.

Just not sure what path to go down and wanted some input. Thanks

haleme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are not replacing your headunit, look at Crutchfield. They have the kits to add an amp to your factory system and a nice selection of speakers.

I'll be watching this thread because speakers are my next purchase for my truck.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My SQ build.
NetAudio harness
Kicker Key 200.4 amp in bi-amp mode for door and dash
New wires to dash
Kenwood excelon 6x9 components with 3.5’s in the dash.
Kicker KS 6x9 two way in rear door for fill.
Killmat applied over kill in all doors
Plus speaker foam behind kenwoods in front door and foam rings for all door speakers.
Front stock door speakers are wired in parallel to the dash so you need to run new dash speaker wire. Buy the netaudio harness. Life saver. Use the factory wire to door speakers. Also used the metra adapter for the speakers.
I will be adding a 12” sub fox box, sub tbd. Kicker key 500.1
The Kicker Key is is an awesome little powerhouse that corrects bass roll off as well as sets timing etc with the use of a microphone for set up. My system absolutely cranks, SUPER clean and precise cannot wait to get the sub installed, everyone who takes a ride thinks I already have one.
Seal all speakers with foam tape and deaden the doors and foam ring the speakers. Makes a huge difference.

WFO2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I to also have been looking at Crutchfield for Infinity referance speaker for all six of my speakers on my 2022 8.4 inch led system .

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
IDSandman, did you startoff with intent or did you take any baby steps. ANC bypass harness you used? So far I've only installed dash corners in my 2019 8.4 standard 6 speakers, no sub. IDSandman, where did you get power for your amp? Maybe help us on this part of your effort please. From what I read if I bypass the ANC, add the Infinity 9032 6x9 door speakers I'll lose bass without an amp. I'll find out next week for sure, starting with the rear doors.

For the dash corners I used Infinity ref 3032 cfx. I removed from the speakers the little 4.7uf cap and put a 4 ohm resistor inline along with the spare 270uf cap that came in the box with the speakers. I used a through hole type resistor similar to this one (couldn't find 4 ohm picture) https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Fv4AAOSw4CFY5Jez/s-l400.jpg. I bought the 25 watt version since it's small and fits nicely foam taped or hot melt glued to the back of the speaker magnet. The resistor I used is discontinued at digikey but other brands are available. Far superior to axial lead type resistors dangling from wires and much higher wattage too. The 270uf cap puts the crossover at near 90 hz but the speaker takes it fine, sounds full and rich, blends with front doors perfect. If you use just the speaker as it comes in the box it sounds loud and with pure tin like a tweeter, don't do it. May have to tailor the cap spec later if I use your amp IDSandman. I do have a pair of Faital Pro 3FE22 "8ohm", same as stock ohms, 40 watt speakers to try. I'll have to cut the mounting tabs a little, no big deal. Intent is to remove the need for the series resistors but use the 270uf cap to start. I did mount the 270uf and flat resistor on the back of the Infinity magnets using hot glue on the capacitor. Don't touch the capacitor with the hot glue gun,it will melt. Drip the glue where the cap and speaker magnet meet. On the label on the back is fine, not much weight these components. Nothing dangles and if done right is a simple plug in.

Haleme, I put 6x9 Kickers in my 2017 5 inch stock radio, just in the (4)doors and never got around to the dash. It sounded fine, far superior to stock.

I discussed the ANC with Crutchfield tech the other day and we seem to agree that trucks without stock subs may use the back door speakers for the ANC operation, not sure. But for sure there's no mid or highend back there with the stock speakers and fading more than two bars toward the back door, stock speakers, affects the front fidelity a lot. Either way anyone going down this road needs to know you have to bypass, disable the ANC if you have it. If not and you just replace the door speakers bad ANC feedback happens when you drive around 2k rpm. Not all but most appear to have this problem. ANC, Automatic Noise Control cab quieting system in 2019 above trucks.

Last edited:

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK....the tread title interested me then you guys started talking GREEK...for the simple minded ones..can I not just take the front door speakers out and replace them with better ones? I was told something about crossover..by a Radio installer..who wanted about $1000 to do my Ram Warlock. Can someone PLEASE tell me the least expensive way to upgrade the front speakers and what I need...I've heard the name Kicker .. and Crutchfield...Thasnks guys ..sorry to interrupt.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds straight forward. OK so just remove the old and put the new in with a small connector they supply. Is that correct..and tips..quirks with doing this?

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dave Haddon, I was speaking GEEK. The ANC (Automatic Noise Control) system is only in Diesels. My post above is for those that want to do the dash speaker properly. If they do it this way they'll be shocked at the sound difference.

Dave, your speaker changing is very simple. Pull out the stock speaker. Use an adapter cable on the speaker leads and put in new speakers. I don't know your truck but you may need some 6x9 spacer shims in your front doors, depending on the speakers you choose. You won't need crossovers. I used 6x9 Kickers in my last truck. This go around I'm going full up Infinity. Door panels are easy, especially if you watch a Youtube or two specific to your truck. I would suggest after installing your speakers you do good cable management and tie wrap the cables. Make sure that the leads aren't at the back of the speakers where they'll get caught as the windows go up and down. Pull them around and tie them at the speaker sides someplace. Check this before you put the speakers in the door. Make darn sure you check window clearance carefully. Also distance from front of speaker to your door panel speaker grills.

Kicker has about 3 different levels of 6x9 door speakers, of course levels of cost too. I used the cheapest version ones from Walmart in my last truck. Sounded good to me then. They usually keep this version in the stores. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kicker-4...-Coaxial-Speakers-Pair/178986800?athbdg=L1200 You'll have to buy the adapters separate but only $10 two doors. Like these four door ones https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-6514-Adapters-Chrysler-Vehicles/dp/B01GEIP95C but check for your truck model first. They only go on one way so no brainer stuff. Shims look like this. You'll need to figure this out if you need them in the front. Could be 1/4inch thick or more if you need them but like these https://www.amazon.com/Metra-82-6902-Universal-Spacer-Speakers/dp/B00TQOX080/ref=sr_1_8?crid=X4SL9R2MMI4D&keywords=6x9+speaker+spacer+shims&qid=1644737198&s=electronics&sprefix=6x9+speaker+spacer+shims,electronics,135&sr=1-8 If you have to use shims make sure you can still put your door panels on and not hit the speakers. Sometime the door panels have to be put over the speakers and then raised up. You'll figure it out. If you need to use shims it's best to put foam tape on both sides so they don't buzz. They don't always sit flat to the door or speaker.

I figured the last time if I didn't like the speakers at least I could take them back to the store instead of shipping hassles. I hope this is what you were asking for

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perfect..you nailed it thanks JoeSee..
Think I will also do Kickers as per the Crutchfield site here in Canada..comes with those adapters..either the 6.5 or 6x9 like you...cheers dave

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Maybe this Dave
Consider doing 4 doors if there's
speakers back there. Sounds so good. Also, get the plastic door panel removal tools from Crutchfield. You'll thank me. Using the scribe pick like the guy in the video does makes me cringe. A proper size flat head screw driver to start to lift the little covers then insert the thinnest flat plastic tool to work around the edges till they come loose.

GWillings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
ANC is not only in diesels, unless I have been putting gas in a diesel and by some miracle it just works.
Dave Haddon, I was speaking GEEK. The ANC (Automatic Noise Control) system is only in Diesels. My post above is for those that want to do the dash speaker properly. If they do it this way they'll be shocked at the sound difference.

Dave, your speaker changing is very simple. Pull out the stock speaker. Use an adapter cable on the speaker leads and put in new speakers. I don't know your truck but you may need some 6x9 spacer shims in your front doors, depending on the speakers you choose. You won't need crossovers. I used 6x9 Kickers in my last truck. This go around I'm going full up Infinity. Door panels are easy, especially if you watch a Youtube or two specific to your truck. I would suggest after installing your speakers you do good cable management and tie wrap the cables. Make sure that the leads aren't at the back of the speakers where they'll get caught as the windows go up and down. Pull them around and tie them at the speaker sides someplace. Check this before you put the speakers in the door. Make darn sure you check window clearance carefully. Also distance from front of speaker to your door panel speaker grills.

Kicker has about 3 different levels of 6x9 door speakers, of course levels of cost too. I used the cheapest version ones from Walmart in my last truck. Sounded good to me then. They usually keep this version in the stores. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kicker-4...-Coaxial-Speakers-Pair/178986800?athbdg=L1200 You'll have to buy the adapters separate but only $10 two doors. Like these four door ones https://www.amazon.com/Metra-72-6514-Adapters-Chrysler-Vehicles/dp/B01GEIP95C but check for your truck model first. They only go on one way so no brainer stuff. Shims look like this. You'll need to figure this out if you need them in the front. Could be 1/4inch thick or more if you need them but like these https://www.amazon.com/Metra-82-6902-Universal-Spacer-Speakers/dp/B00TQOX080/ref=sr_1_8?crid=X4SL9R2MMI4D&keywords=6x9+speaker+spacer+shims&qid=1644737198&s=electronics&sprefix=6x9+speaker+spacer+shims,electronics,135&sr=1-8 If you have to use shims make sure you can still put your door panels on and not hit the speakers. Sometime the door panels have to be put over the speakers and then raised up. You'll figure it out. If you need to use shims it's best to put foam tape on both sides so they don't buzz. They don't always sit flat to the door or speaker.

I figured the last time if I didn't like the speakers at least I could take them back to the store instead of shipping hassles. I hope this is what you were asking for

I used the NETAudio loop back wiring kit, and their ANC bypass kit (my 2020 Ram is NOT diesel, 1500 BigHorn).
All 4 doors have DS18 PRO X6.4, DS18 PRO-TW220 Aluminum Bullet Tweeter in the dash, 2 DS18 GEN-X104D in a NETAuido ported box under the back seat, Audio control LC-4.800 and SKAR Audio RP-1200.1, with the factory stereo.

d_coyne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Has anyone been able to effectively solve the window switch rattling issue after upgrading? It's been driving me nuts. The only thing that I have found to work is turn it up louder than the rattle.

casey54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JoeSee is correct. Do all four doors and get the plastic door panel tools. I used the Kicker 46CSC654 6-1/2" 2-way for the front and 46CSC6934 6x9 3-way for the rear from Crutchfield. Came with everything needed for the install. Sound improvement was phenomenal. I have bought upgrades from Crutchfield for four vehicles now. Great service and price.

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A side note to those considering the Infinity speakers. My rather long dash speaker post above was done using Infinity Ref 3022cfx speakers. That's a 3year old part number. The new part number is Ref 3032cfx. Funny thing is they're the same speakers.

The same thing follows with the door speakers. I received two sets of Ref 9623ix doors speakers yesterday. Again, that's an old part number but the same speakers as new Ref 9633ix. My set is new, unopened. The boxes my speakers came in are prettier than the new style boxes. I could've bought the 9633ix part number from the Vendor for the same price. I just didn't care knowing what I know. I like the old pretty boxes.

Here's where I got my speakers. Note this link is for the newer part number. They currently say they only have 8 left, but read on. https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-REF-9633IX-Coaxial-Speakers/dp/B07Q2R3Q48/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1QAP1OV4ZLOQJ&keywords=infinity+ref-9622ix&qid=1644859101&sprefix=9622ix,aps,129&sr=8-1

If this Vendor runs out of the newer part number get the older one. You'll get a prettier box. https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-REF-9623ix-Speaker-Edge-Driven-Tweeters/dp/B01E8OZ1KM/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1QAP1OV4ZLOQJ&keywords=infinity+ref-9622ix&qid=1644859390&sprefix=9622ix,aps,129&sr=8-11&th=1 PLUS, if you didn't search for this link, you wouldn't have seen all the other speakers listed. The other strange thing is if you look at the Ref 3022cfx dash speakers in this link, they say Made In the USA. Is this true, I don't know but just sayin what it says.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey JoeSee..did some research during Super Bowl. Crutchfied e mailed me back saying My 2021 Ram 1500 due to a 40% Volume loss with new speakers,for some reason needs all the following..the Infinity Ref speaker( $450) and associated PAC ampPro ($330), Sound Ordinance M100 amp ($180 ) Crutchfield CK80, Kicker wire ($78)...what the ?????...I thought I could just change the 3 inch dash speaker and put the 6x9 speakers in the door.....This is crazy...forget this nonsense...all I wanted was to plug and plat some speakers for a fun couple of hours enjoyment on an afternoon messing with my truck...Not spend over $1140,...geeezzz !

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
GWillings, I stand corrected on the ANC only in diesels. Watched a lady at a gas station putting gas in a diesel. Good thing for her it was a Government truck.

Dave Haddon, the simple question of "speaker upgrade" as this thread titile is called ain't so simple. Like you, I've been trying to get further along by reading forums first. Going to try the Faital dash speakers tomorrow. Thursday bypass ANC and do the front door speakers. Then I'll know what I'm up against.

Socks you said "yes you can, plug and play". Did you get a 40% loss in sound? Do you have an amp?

I'll do amps and everything but sheesh.

Last edited:

JoeSee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here's a couple of pictures of what I described in my first post with the Infinity Ref 3022cfx dash speakers. To use the big 270uf Capacitors that came with the speakers. I hot melt glued while testing. Probably fine but I'll secure it better.

Before I did this mod out of the box these speakers sounded like crap in my dash. Ever wonder why they put the big Capacitors in the box? It de-sucks the speakers.

The 270uf capacitor changes the speakers from being a mid to high range speaker to a more full range speaker with a low cutoff around 100hz.

This has only been tested in a stock radio setup, no amps. This wiring will match the impedance of the stock speaker. It's survived everything I've thrown at it with the stock radio for the last week. Use it with high power amp I have no clue.

You have to remove the small 4.7uf to use the big 270uf one. After de-soldering and removing the small cap you solder the now loose internal speaker wire back to the plus terminal.

Use any reasonable wattage 4ohm resistor you choose in series with the Capacitor then attach them to the plus terminal. The resistor I used is not available anywhere, maybe because of the chip crisis, I don't know. I used the type I did because 30watt or more resistors are big and long. I did not try this without the resistor. I have no idea how it sounds as 4ohm only in these trucks.

Picture 1 is the components in place and Picture 2 is a closeup of the rewire after the small Capacitor is removed. I left their little black wire tube on it in case I wanted to change it back.

Attachments

• speaker 1.jpg
    speaker 1.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 24
  • speaker 2.jpg
    speaker 2.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 22

themaniscody

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Standard 8.4in with 6 speaker set-up (diesel? Maybe that matters for ANC or something?).

Not picky at all with audio quality, however the volume at 70+ mph windows down isn't loud enough for me.

I also looked into Crutchfield thinking better speakers would improve audio levels but was hit with 40% volume reduction.

What's the proper path for increasing volume of speakers?

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was to.d you need something called PAC' ampPro and a Sound Ordinance...works out to an extra $500 bucks on top of theSpeakers on top of a few other goodies...decided Togo with a set of Pioneers ( $230 )and be done...will let you know in 10 days or so when the PonyExpress..operative word “Pony “ delivers the goods