Speedometer Needle Bounces at Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caleb Steel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2011 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7

I’ve see this happen several times over the past few years and I’ve reached the point where I can’t ignore it anymore, and I need explore the issue.

Occasionally, and seemingly under no particular circumstances, the following will happen:

While the vehicle is running, in Park, one or several chimes will sound (the kind that are usually accompanied by a light on the dash). No light appears. The idle starts surging up and down a few hundred RPM, and the speedometer starts bouncing from 0-20ish MPH. Put it in gear, or turn it off and back on, and it stops acting up.

Not sure what to make of it. Definitely seems electrical, and so I thought maybe the TIPM might just be having a spasm.

I’d really like to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
2011 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7

I’ve see this happen several times over the past few years and I’ve reached the point where I can’t ignore it anymore, and I need explore the issue.

Occasionally, and seemingly under no particular circumstances, the following will happen:

While the vehicle is running, in Park, one or several chimes will sound (the kind that are usually accompanied by a light on the dash). No light appears. The idle starts surging up and down a few hundred RPM, and the speedometer starts bouncing from 0-20ish MPH. Put it in gear, or turn it off and back on, and it stops acting up.

Not sure what to make of it. Definitely seems electrical, and so I thought maybe the TIPM might just be having a spasm.

I’d really like to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

The only thing that comes to mind is what happened with the first gen Chrysler Pacifica’s, to where if the alternator was going bad the speedometer would go to 20 immediately in drive and the transmission wouldn’t shift. Due to the chimes, i’d think bad instrument cluster.

Sent from Blue Onyx

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Put a code reader on it even if there isn’t any CEL and tell me what you find.

Sent from Blue Onyx

OP
OP
C

Caleb Steel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a code reader on it even if there isn’t any CEL and tell me what you find.

Sent from Blue Onyx

Thanks for the reply. I knew I forgot something - I’ve checked it with a reader several times and it’s had no codes come up.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thanks for the reply. I knew I forgot something - I’ve checked it with a reader several times and it’s had no codes come up.

Then i’d suspect bad instrument cluster.

Sent from Blue Onyx

OP
OP
C

Caleb Steel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Then i’d suspect bad instrument cluster.

Sent from Blue Onyx

Thanks. One of my original suspicions was perhaps the alternator, but several days ago I drove it for awhile with the diagnostic tool monitoring it, and the voltage stayed at 14.3. One more thing I do want to do is hook the tool up and try to replicate it, just to see what, if any, readings fluctuate when it starts acting up. With it being random, it will be tough to replicate. It will be interesting if it is the instrument cluster, since an altered idle accompanies the chimes and speedometer moving. But, I guess with electronics anything is possible.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ignition switch? I've heard if you have a ton of stuff on your keychain it puts stress on the switch over time. The switch activates chimes, the problem stops when you turn it off then back on...seems like an outside shot but worth exploring.