Start and stop clunk.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boguthrie58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New here and new to the dodge community. I hope someone her can assure me that I did not make a mistake buying this beautiful truck. 2016 3500 6.7 laramie with 197000 on it. This truck looks like it is at max 3 years old. Ery well kept from the looks of it. The day after I signed the paperwork on it I noticed a cluck when stopping and then when letting off the brake to go. I've been super gentle with the truck since I got it 3 weeks ago. I've looked under the truck only to find nothing out of the ordinary . I'

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did it come any type of warranty? Does it do it every time? While standing beside the truck I would have someone slowly go forward and stop. Keep repeating til you can narrow it down and find the culprit.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
197,000 miles is getting up there. U-joints? Something tranny related? It could be just about anything. I once noticed a "clunk" in my truck only to realize it was just something I had left in one of the floor bins under the rear floor mats. Doubt you'll be so lucky but it's worth checking.

OP
OP
B

Boguthrie58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New here and new to the dodge community. I hope someone her can assure me that I did not make a mistake buying this beautiful truck. 2016 3500 6.7 laramie with 197000 on it. This truck looks like it is at max 3 years old. Very well kept from the looks of it. The day after I signed the paperwork on it I noticed a cluck when stopping and then when letting off the brake to go. I've been super gentle with the truck since I got it 3 weeks ago. I've looked under the truck only to find nothing out of the ordinary .

OP
OP
B

Boguthrie58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everything looks good upon inspection. I guess the Ole go pro is going to get strapped to the bottom of the truck in various positions till I figure this out.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Clunk when stopping and starting, my first thought is U joint somewhere. If U cannot get located, get with a mechanic you trust and have them troubleshoot for you. After solve that issue, have mechanic go over entire truck and check records for MX and then make sure all oil changes are current: ie., check all fluids to include front/rear diffs and transfer case and tranny, engine oil and coolant and bring all up to date (includes brake check also). You need to insure all ok and in operating order. Good luck with your 3500. All above here is just IMHO.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the spline on the driveshaft coming out of the transfer case, It needs to be greased they have been known to clunk when you start and stop.

OP
OP
B

Boguthrie58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the spline on the driveshaft coming out of the transfer case, It needs to be greased they have been known to clunk when you start and stop.
Thanks for all the input. I will get to it
soon and post the repair