Started a case with RAM today - lemon law??

Do your heated seats stay on

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never was disrespecting just giving my opinion. A warranty claim is one thing but he’s talking about a LEMON LAW over a heated seat. You don’t think that’s overboard?

And thanks for your service to our country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A few pages back I stated I was not actually intending to lemon law the truck. However, another member on here has already been through the steps of replacing the seat and the heating elements inside the seat and still the issue has not been solved. My dealer is the one who mentioned, and quite possibly jokingly, that if they can't get it fixed they may have to just put me into a new truck. I'm fully aware of how the lemon law works and what it actually means. If you read it, you'd see that my truck as well as the other guys does in fact qualify to be a lemon. It doesn't matter that it's a relatively small problem, it's still in fact a problem that if the dealer can not fix it after so many attempts then that may be the only option.

What I'm getting from your comments are that when you purchase something, you're ok with if possibly works as it should or maybe it doesn't. Cheap things you can't expect much from, but for a 40-50k$ truck, I'd like to think everything works as it should and if not, Ram can at least fix it. As of now, they have failed both me and quite a few others regarding this issue.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
My research into the lemon law tells me. A. Each State can have their own version of the law. B. In Ca you must meet one of the three tenants. 1. vehicle is less than 18 months old and have less than 18,000 miles. B. Dealer has attempted unsuccessfully to correct the defect 2 or more times. C. The defect represents a safety or injury to driver issue.
Dealers have become more aware of their customers lemon law rights. In some cases they will simply skip the "certified notification to FCA requirement" and mandatory arbitration. They have either had experience with the process or know that they have a factory defect or design problem. They just cut to the chase and offer money back or replacement. In other cases, they just can't find or fix the problem. The research I have done shows that some dealers consider a lemon law return, an opportunity. They replace the vehicle with one they have in inventory. The inventory vehicle is more highly featured providing an up sell opportunity. I don't know what Fl lemon law is, but the member apparently does. In his case, is it possible that the defective seat warmers "may" cause an injury,,,don't know. But if they are not working as represented,,,FCA and dealer must address. Just my POV given that my truck is now lemon law qualified for the exhaust leak. Sure hope our member gets this resolved.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My research into the lemon law tells me. A. Each State can have their own version of the law. B. In Ca you must meet one of the three tenants. 1. vehicle is less than 18 months old and have less than 18,000 miles. B. Dealer has attempted unsuccessfully to correct the defect 2 or more times. C. The defect represents a safety or injury to driver issue.
Dealers have become more aware of their customers lemon law rights. In some cases they will simply skip the "certified notification to FCA requirement" and mandatory arbitration. They have either had experience with the process or know that they have a factory defect or design problem. They just cut to the chase and offer money back or replacement. In other cases, they just can't find or fix the problem. The research I have done shows that some dealers consider a lemon law return, an opportunity. They replace the vehicle with one they have in inventory. The inventory vehicle is more highly featured providing an up sell opportunity. I don't know what Fl lemon law is, but the member apparently does. In his case, is it possible that the defective seat warmers "may" cause an injury,,,don't know. But if they are not working as represented,,,FCA and dealer must address. Just my POV given that my truck is now lemon law qualified for the exhaust leak. Sure hope our member gets this resolved.

It COULD be considered a safety concern as from what I've gathered, the seat is turning off because it's exceeding the temperature regulations, thus, maybe could cause a fire?? Not sure on that as the seat as stated previously barely gets warm. So, I don't actually think it's reaching a max temperature and triggering the safety shut down. But, the dealer does have a certain amount of times to try and correct the problem before we must figure out another option. IF it does come to that point, i'm certainly not paying more for a "new" truck. I've already paid more than I should have for this one. So, if they can't fix it, hopefully they can get me into a "new" truck for the same amount I currently have financed. Luckily, I'm a regular at my dealer as I've bought at least 6 or 7 vehicles from them so they try to work with me as much as possible. So, we shall see.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
It COULD be considered a safety concern as from what I've gathered, the seat is turning off because it's exceeding the temperature regulations, thus, maybe could cause a fire?? Not sure on that as the seat as stated previously barely gets warm. So, I don't actually think it's reaching a max temperature and triggering the safety shut down. But, the dealer does have a certain amount of times to try and correct the problem before we must figure out another option. IF it does come to that point, i'm certainly not paying more for a "new" truck. I've already paid more than I should have for this one. So, if they can't fix it, hopefully they can get me into a "new" truck for the same amount I currently have financed. Luckily, I'm a regular at my dealer as I've bought at least 6 or 7 vehicles from them so they try to work with me as much as possible. So, we shall see.
Yep. I would expect a good out come from your dealer.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep. I would expect a good out come from your dealer.
I'm hoping so. My salesman told me that if they couldn't get it resolved, they would try to put me in a 2019 instead. Obviously they have to do whatever RAM tells them to do, but I wouldn't be terribly upset if that did actually happen. I know I don't want another 2018! Now, we did test this on a 2018 with ventilated and heated seats and it didn't seem to have the issue. So, maybe that would be an option too if they can't get it figured out, just put me in a truck with the cooled and heated seats since they don't seem to have the problem.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do thank all of you for your input. It sucks that some of us are having to go through this and get the run around. But, I'm hopeful there will be a solution of some type soon for those of us affected.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've never heard of a configuration of cloth seats with "VENTILATED" option, just the heated option.

The only configuration with both ventiliated and heated would be the leather trimmed which is an option in most any configuration, which you've stated you don't have (you have the mesh sport seats)

You said you tried "ventilated" seats in another 18. I would be curious to see that truck's window sticker, because I tried looking for that option when I bought mine, and it didn't exist....

Uprgrade option with the cloth seats.

Heated Seats and Wheel Group $545 A/C Auto Temperature Control with Dual Zone Control Heated Front Seats Heated Steering Wheel 8–Speed Automatic 8HP70 Transmission

Leather trimmed option with both options.

Leather–Trimmed Bucket Seats $1,545 Power 10–Way Driver / 6–Way Passenger Seats Heated and Ventilated Front Seats

So, I am very curious as to what 18 trim level with CLOTH seats you "tested" that had BOTH the ventilated and heated seats. Is that a vehicle that is on this dealers lot?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe I missed something again. Specifically, what kind of seats do you have in your '18 Sport?
The ones with the fake leather along the sides of the seat and the cloth material in the center. The big horn we tested had the all leather seats but had the same problem. The limited we tested had the leather seats but also had the cooled seats, that truck did not have the same problem.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok, you're comparing cloth with the heated option to leather with heated and cooled.
Different seat of seats totally.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never heard of a configuration of cloth seats with "VENTILATED" option, just the heated option.

So, I am very curious as to what 18 trim level with CLOTH seats you "tested" that had BOTH the ventilated and heated seats. Is that a vehicle that is on this dealers lot?

I don't think I said I tested one of their trucks that had CLOTH heated and cooled seats. If I did put that, I misspoke. As stated above, we tested two other trucks on their lot. One being a 2018 big horn but it had leather seats (upgraded I assume) and had ONLY the heated seats and steering wheel. This truck showed the same problem my truck has. We tested another truck which was a 2018 limited. This truck also had the leather seats but had the ventilated seats as well as the heated seats. This truck did not seem to have the problem my truck has.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, you're comparing cloth with the heated option to leather with heated and cooled.
Different seat of seats totally.
Yes - that's the comparison we've tested. It seems the trucks that come with the heated AND cooled seats, are not having this issue. So I think it's something with just the heated seats only trucks..

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My brother has the 18 Big Horn wtih the leather heated seats and the steering wheel. I'll ask him if he's ever noticed this. Probably not, since in TN its hot now, and he probably has never even tested the seats.

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Very possible.

The heated/ventilated seats (leather) are probably designed a bit differently.

Yes - that's the comparison we've tested. It seems the trucks that come with the heated AND cooled seats, are not having this issue. So I think it's something with just the heated seats only trucks..

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brother has the 18 Big Horn wtih the leather heated seats and the steering wheel. I'll ask him if he's ever noticed this. Probably not, since in TN its hot now, and he probably has never even tested the seats.
Please do and report back. Have him test both the driver side and passenger side. The other guy on this thread stated his problem began on the driver side then moved to the passenger side..

GLucas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 HEMI
They removed my original seats and installed Laramie Heated/Vented seated and the issue still showed up. It is computer software temperature control problem. The programming is inconsistent as one seat will control the temp within safe operating limits while to other side trips on high temp. to safe itself. It is a defect they should recall and fix.
Speaking of recalls I just got this in the mail today!
The programming on the power train control module is bad and being recalled for a reprogram.
Probably the same ppl that programmed these seats.

OP
OP
F

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They removed my original seats and installed Laramie Heated/Vented seated and the issue still showed up. It is computer software temperature control problem. The programming is inconsistent as one seat will control the temp within safe operating limits while to other side trips on high temp. to safe itself. It is a defect they should recall and fix.
The programming on the power train control module is bad and being recalled for a reprogram.

well shoot. There goes my idea of them trying to install the heated and cooled seats equipment idea..

gregs2018ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
There are two oustanding recalls U05 and U61. Which one was your letter about?

The programming on the p
ower train control module is bad and being recalled for a reprogram.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007