Starting after the cp4 recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ctaylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I took my truck in to have the cp4 replaced 3weeks later when I get my truck back it takes forever to start. I took it back to the dealership and they say that is normal with the new HPFP. Has anyone had this issue

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I call BS.. and why did they have your truck for 3 weeks? Should have been a scheduled appointment to get the recall done.
Are you fuel filters fairly new? and how much fuel have you gone through since the HPFP has been replaced?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
clarify ‘forever’.

5, 10, 30 seconds of cranking? Multiple key turns?

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If we are talking more than about a second, thats only normal if they haven't test run it after changing something in the fuel system. With air in the system it's not uncommon for it to not start at all, but that should only happen after you take something loose and let air in. Once it does start once, it should start quickly afterwards.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have had two cummins powered trucks from RAM. Neither one takes maybe 2-3 seconds to fire upon cranking them. Not sure what else to say. Sounds like the fuel isnt getting there quickly on your start.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
only took 6 scheduled hours to do our hpfp recall. No problems starting, not an immediate 1 second start but I'd say no more then 2-3 seconds which is the same as before recall

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If it is taking longer it could be they messed up the computer code install when doing the update for the new CP3 pump...

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Mine died in the parking lot when I went to pick it up. It cranked for about 10 seconds to restart and I was ready to walk back in the service dept but then thought OK, they put in a fuel pump and I had them change the filters, there must be air pockets. I will drive down the road first then come back.
The drive corrected everything and I notice no difference now between new pump and old pump.