Startup Chatter and Noise (Video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This video is quite telling regarding the cold startup noise. This RAM 1500 Limited was purchased NEW off the dealer out with only a few miles. NOW with only 370 miles later it has developed a startup metallic chatter and tick that last for over a minute in this video. I will be contacting my dealer rep tomorrow. I am quite frustrated!!

Check out the video!

Do others have this same noise on startup and if so any luck getting RAM to deal with it?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
This video is quite telling regarding the cold startup noise. This RAM 1500 Limited was purchased NEW off the dealer out with only a few miles. NOW with only 370 miles later it has developed a startup metallic chatter and tick that last for over a minute in this video. I will be contacting my dealer rep tomorrow. I am quite frustrated!!

Check out the video!

Do others have this same noise on startup and if so any luck getting RAM to deal with it?

Hi @LonestarRammer - I had a chance to follow up with you on this, but wanted to touch base to say we are just a private message away and happy to provide further support if it would be of interest.

Mark
RamCares

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Check out the video!

Like CG2742 said, redo the video with your vehicle outside in the driveway and also take the video with the hood up and standing at the front of the truck. However after listening a few times this did not sound like lifters

OP
OP
LonestarRammer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi @LonestarRammer - I had a chance to follow up with you on this, but wanted to touch base to say we are just a private message away and happy to provide further support if it would be of interest.

Mark
RamCares
Update: I have sent two emails and text messages to my dealer along with a link to the video and have received NO response. I know RAM is better than this.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't hear anything to speak of either. Mostly just heard an exhaust echo, which is pretty normal with today's exhausts and the way the systems are setup to warm up the cats as quickly as possible.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Update: I have sent two emails and text messages to my dealer along with a link to the video and have received NO response. I know RAM is better than this.

I sincerely apologize for the communication troubles with your dealer. Please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support in addressing the concerns that you are experiencing. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
LonestarRammer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I sincerely apologize for the communication troubles with your dealer. Please do not hesitate to follow up with our customer care team for further support in addressing the concerns that you are experiencing. You may call in at 866-726-4636 or submit your info here to receive an email follow up. https://bit.ly/3fy5Kfo

Mark
RamCares
Submitted....

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry if I missed it, but were you able to compare another new hemi eTORQUE cold startup with your startup?

From my lowly notebook computer speakers, that startup sounds normal, but it's impossible to tell by computer speaker.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
All I mainly hear is an aftermarket exhaust

Dogpatch

Senior Member - Ram Nut
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys can’t here that jingling in the video?
I can. Sounds like someone rattling loose parts. Like a handful of wrenches.
Obviously it quiets down once lubrication is dispersed.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
My 2014 used to be a bit like that until I switched to a higher quality oil. Not saying thats the magic bullet in your case, but its what did it for me.

The 5.7 Hemi is not a quiet engine. Never has been, never will be. No offense, but I honestly thing you're just being paranoid, especially with an engine that is not broken in yet.

Good luck @ the dealer, and please keep us posted of any outcomes.

Jim_Just_Jim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the AC on when starting? If so, try starting it without the AC on and see if the noise is less noticeable.

When shopping for Rams last week, I noticed a metallic "chatter" sound that was more pronounced on some trucks. It seemed more noticeable on the trucks when the AC is on. Like it was possibly a clutch or bearing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I hear it, sounds like the factory forgot to lube a bearing in a pulley, my guess if correct it wont get better just worse and will be an easy fix. That is nothing internal as far as my guess would be worth, but I know nothing about the e torque. The hemi sounds strong past that little issue though, no hemi tick for sure. Do you own oil change though, and early, and visualize if there is any metal and if so how much.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963