Steering Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

christoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 Hemi 4x4, and just 2 days ago, under normal driving, my steering went for s@*&t.

It feels like the power steering went. I checked the fluids, and they are ok. I checked underneath, and everything seems fine. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I have a lift kit on it, but like I said, I wasn't in the bush, it was during normal city driving.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

I appreciate the help.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like possibly a power steering pump failure. Sounds like it may not be pushing fluid.
Is the pump making or has it made any strange noises?
Hard to tell without more info/driving it.

OP
OP
christoff

christoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks chedched.

It has never, and it does not make any noises.

When I turn left or right, it drags, it feels like there is no power steering at all, but like I said, it doesn't make any noise when I turn.

chedched

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
As far as I know, the power steering isn't controlled electronically. This means there is a mechanical failure. If the fluid is at a good level, I'd assume the pump quit or the rack has quit. I can't think of a real good way to test either one but my money is on the pump.

HemiSport07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the same issue on my 07 check the rack to make sure there aren't any leaks sometimes it can be just a small leak. I'm betting its the pump though you could buy a rebuilt one from oreilys discount ect. But I have always had bad experiences with the reman pumps went threw two remans before I even could leave the shop the shaft had so much play in both it was trying to throw my belt off so I went with a mopar $$$$$$ dodge does not sell the same one that is on your truck now they have an upgraded new pump which look like the one of the forth gen it's a new pump design, bracket, and reservoir. I put it on with no issues if you are going to change it out your self it is a real easy project pull the clutch fan and shroud off the radiator. You will probably need a fan clutch removal tool mine was a pain.I then had bought some cheap ATF4 and pulled the line on my power steering pump cooler started the truck why my buddy flushed about 2 quarts threw it to remove all the metal shavings the best I could Once that's done you can take off the belt. You will need a power steering pump pulley removal tool they can be rented and most all big auto part store I pulled my pulley off with it still on the truck take not on where your pulley sit on the old shaft that's where you will want to press it done on the new ps pump shaft. I think it 4 bolts to take the pump off pump the new pump on and reverse the steps I did flush another 2 quarts with the new pump when you have it all together fill it to full start the truck turn your wheels from left to right it will help get any air out of the system full as needed and you'll be ready to go let me know if you got any question

OP
OP
christoff

christoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ta
hanks HemiSport07.

I appreciate your advice.

I will let you know what happens.