Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlainPractical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
2016 Ram 1500 Express/Classic. From day 1 horn has been quirky (works sometimes not others) - I assumed it was just a "Ram Thing". But... Now I have lights on the steering wheel blinking and horn either 1) does not work 2) works sometimes 3) gets stuck on (yep, good times rolling down the road with the horn blaring).
The steering wheel controls (cruise and gear and menu control) all work fine. The blicking *may* be tied to bumps in the road and/or me shaking the horn "pad" - see the video I attached (I could not upload the video, so here is the link https://www.wevideo.com/view/2399174041).
I thought clockspring, but I have zero airbag codes (so nothing to indicate the truck is loosing contact with the squibs). If the clockspring were reasonably priced, I would replace it anyway - just to eliminate it from the troubleshooting list - but it ain't.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
sounds like a pinched wire,either way pull the wheel and look

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
2016 Ram 1500 Express/Classic. From day 1 horn has been quirky (works sometimes not others) - I assumed it was just a "Ram Thing". But... Now I have lights on the steering wheel blinking and horn either 1) does not work 2) works sometimes 3) gets stuck on (yep, good times rolling down the road with the horn blaring).
The steering wheel controls (cruise and gear and menu control) all work fine. The blicking *may* be tied to bumps in the road and/or me shaking the horn "pad" - see the video I attached (I could not upload the video, so here is the link https://www.wevideo.com/view/2399174041).
I thought clockspring, but I have zero airbag codes (so nothing to indicate the truck is loosing contact with the squibs). If the clockspring were reasonably priced, I would replace it anyway - just to eliminate it from the troubleshooting list - but it ain't.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.
There was a recall on the steering wheel harness. It may not have been applied to your truck or was damaged during the recall repair. The harness is very fragile and I experienced the horn short myself when I damaged mine adding the additional steering wheel controls. I fixed mine by applying a liberal coating of liquid electrical tape.

Kusanation

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I’m running into the same issue at the moment. It started off with my heated steering wheel turning off faster than usual and now as resulted into the same issue shown in the original posts video. Any clue? Could it be I have a short?

OP
OP
P

PlainPractical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry for the super late update - I did pull the wheel and found nothing. Put it all back together magically hoping for the best, but realized I forgot a part (I think it was a screw) so had to take it back apart again. On the second removal I went to fix the routing of the wires and one of them came right out of the harness. Got a new harness (it was easier for me than repairing) and I was good to go. I *think* the harness was under $25. It holds like 4 or 6 skinny wires (like 22 gauge). Good luck!