Steering wheel breaking down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good day, I was curious if anyone else is having this problem (or potential for a problem).

When I first test drove my truck, 2020 Laramie 2500, I remember being surprised at how comfortable the steering wheel was but also thinking that it might not hold up. Now here we are 17,000 miles later and the top portion of the steering wheel (from about 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock) is starting to break down/peel/flake/de-laminate.

I have an appointment next week for the dealer to take a look at it as I do not think this should be happening this quickly, but was wondering if anyone else is having similar issues? I do not know if the steering wheel changes on any package other than the limited?

Thanks

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 2017 Laramie steering wheel cover is in excellent condition.

Your issue sounds like a material defect to me.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
It's happen to some. Not just a Ram issue. It doesn't matter what brand it is. Any with leather along the top of the steering wheel can show wear quickly. Some people's skin seem to react to the leather more harshly. Not sure what it is. I was glad to have wood on the top of mine. Just for that reason.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I had a 2003 1500. It was on its third steering wheel when I sold it. First one was covered under warranty. Second one about ten years. Third one was still good when I sold it.

Contributing factors: natural skin oils, always gripping the wheel in the same place, exposure to UV rays, materials defect.

Ram should replace yours since it’s still under warranty and may well be due to materials defect.

Going forward; wipe your hands often, change your grip, and use a sun screen.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hand sanitizers can be damaging to leather as well. The use of which is pretty high right now. My steering wheel still looks brand-new, but I've only got about 4k miles on my Laramie. Time will tell I suppose.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Before COVID; gives B.C. a new meaning now doesn’t it?......anyway, B.C. when I bought my 2017 new, my co-pilot put a pack of wet-wipes in the console and has successfully, well at least when she’s looking, trained me to use one before driving. 32K on the 17 before giving it to my son and the steering wheel still looked and felt like new. Needless to say there’s always a pack of wet-wipes handy in the 19.

CptDondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
Huh. Interesting, my steering wheel “leather” is coming apart as well. I just got a cover but I’ll let the dealer know and see if they replace it. Then I’ll put the cover back on.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Mine has a bad spot I can see and feel. It's not anywhere near where I hold the wheel.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I found a 2020 Longhorn steering wheel on ebay for a steal and swapped that into my laramie. My original was in good condition, but I hold the steering wheel at or near the top at least 90% of the time. Having wood there instead of leather means I won't have an issue with the leather breaking down. Plus, I like the feel of a wood steering wheel better than the leather on the original Laramie steering wheel.