steering wheel clinks in new 2023 1500 Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillColl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Ram experts,
I recently purchased a 2023 1500 Laramie and soon noticed an articulation through the steering wheel during any acceleration/deceleration. It feels as if there is a loose brace in the steering column or possibly universal joint that has some play within the joint. It only happens after driving for about an hour, and when I took it to the dealer they were unable to replicate the problem (only a 10 minute drive to them). It also happens when driving over speed bumps or inconsistencies in the pavement. It is only felt through the steering wheel and is accompanied by a very faint sound that is similar to knocking of tubes. It feels much like when a torque wrench indicates reaching the set limit (tink-tink). It is quite frustrating attempting to describe the issue, especially when the maintenance folks cant experience the issue. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue and what the remedy was. I thought maybe a steering linkage or possibly motor mount issue, but not sure why it only happens after the truck is well-warmed up.
Thanks for any insight you may have!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Should probably ask that question in 5th gen, since this is 3rd gen.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Should probably ask that question in 5th gen, since this is 3rd gen.
when you see a post in the wrong section, or even if you post something in the wrong section just report the post and forum staff can move it(like I did with this one).

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well that's no fun.

OP
OP
B

BillColl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealer replaced the rack & pinion set, problem fixed. Guess there are some faulty ones coming off the line.