Steering Wheel "rocks back and forth" in constant radius turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txh2oskier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2016 2500 Tradesman with a Cummins Diesel. The truck is stock and has 155K miles on it. I frequently travel a road where there is a constant radius turn to the left that goes for 1/10 of a mile or so. Speed through this turn is 40 MPH. When I hold the steering wheel steady through the turn, the steering wheel will rock back and forth maybe an inch or so. It's not so much that the wheel jerks back and forth as it is the resistance goes away and then comes back. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Something I should get fixed or continue to live with.

Thanks

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
4WD? Any number of things. Worn ball joints, track bar, steering stabilizer (if equipped), tie rod ends, tires, road surface, front axle binding, hub unit, etc. Might get up under it and check the steering and driveline components for loose or worn joints, ball joints etc. Vertical movement in ball joint should be okay, any lateral movement not okay

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My 2015 Ram 3500 has 120k miles. It was feeling “choppy” when I would go into a curve. It was much more noticeable at lower speeds.

When I took it in for some other maintenance last month, the dealer looked into the cause and determined it was the front axle universal joints behind the wheel hubs.

I had them replaced, and the truck drives fine now.

The dealer originally thought it was my steering gearbox based off the symptoms though.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
It is part of the charm of a RAM heavy duty. I had the toe of mine aligned to 0 degrees or 0 inches and that fixed it for me. Problem was finding a real alignment shop that would do the alignment. All of the chain places would only align to "What the computer says ..." due to "liability".

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
I have a 2016 2500 Tradesman with a Cummins Diesel. The truck is stock and has 155K miles on it. I frequently travel a road where there is a constant radius turn to the left that goes for 1/10 of a mile or so. Speed through this turn is 40 MPH. When I hold the steering wheel steady through the turn, the steering wheel will rock back and forth maybe an inch or so. It's not so much that the wheel jerks back and forth as it is the resistance goes away and then comes back. Any ideas on what might be causing it? Something I should get fixed or continue to live with.

Thanks
Take a look at your steering column under the dash .At the midway point where the column attaches to the shaft coming through the fire wall,there is a shear pin that holds the two parts together that could be the issue.With a flashlight watch that joint and as you move the steering wheel you see alot of play,thats what needs to be addressed.This was my issue and i found a nylon bushing that i pressed into and around that shear pin.Problem solved,and to make sure it wouldnt come out i wrapped the joint with electric tape

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take a look at your steering column under the dash .At the midway point where the column attaches to the shaft coming through the fire wall,there is a shear pin that holds the two parts together that could be the issue.With a flashlight watch that joint and as you move the steering wheel you see alot of play,thats what needs to be addressed.This was my issue and i found a nylon bushing that i pressed into and around that shear pin.Problem solved,and to make sure it wouldnt come out i wrapped the joint with electric tape
You know, I was wondering about the possibility of something like this. I have a 15, 2500 that is in good condition. No play in any of the front end components that I can find, but there is occasional bumping in the wheel that doesn't feel like a wear part. I was waiting to put a new damper on the front until I find it.. . Better check the column shaft and couplings

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
You know, I was wondering about the possibility of something like this. I have a 15, 2500 that is in good condition. No play in any of the front end components that I can find, but there is occasional bumping in the wheel that doesn't feel like a wear part. I was waiting to put a new damper on the front until I find it.. . Better check the column shaft and couplings
I went through the same thoughts and changed a few items until i read online about the bushing issue,and it was the issue with my truck and more than likely just about most trucks on the road have this problem

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
I went through the same thoughts and changed a few items until i read online about the bushing issue,and it was the issue with my truck and more than likely just about most trucks on the road have this problem
Google (Diagnosing Dodge truck steering issues)

G563500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I hate to bump an old-ish post. But I have the same deal. I attributed it to the power steering, I believe it to be the pump. I have no play in the steering shaft anywhere, and have had this since about 50,000 miles. I am at about 140,000 and going to replace the entire front end, but I believe it to be the PS pump. It does not do it at slight angles, only when taking a turn at highway speeds with a maintained steering angle to take a long sweeping turn. Let me know if you find a fix for it.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm at 140k and have the same issue. You can replicate it while parked, leaving me thinking it is something with the PS pump and some valve inside. With it idling of course, you can turn the wheel a 1/2 a turn, hold it, and it'll try to bump back. While annoying, I've grown used to it and it hasn't caused me any problems. No one seems to know how to solve it.