Stock Goodyear SRA tires replace or run 'em poll

Should I replace the new Goodyear SRA tires that came with my new RAM?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Really seems like quality control is the issue with the SRAs.

It's been my experience that most factory installed tires are not the greatest. My wife's 2017 Jeep GC has Michelins from the factory and at 27k they're almost at the wear bars. IDK what it is about factory tires but I have yet to have a vehicle that the factory tires have lasted more than 30k or so..

yeah almost wonder if they shift off some of the passed QC but barely tires for use as "factory truck tires"

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My OEM wheels and tires (SR-A’s) back in service for winter #3. No issues that I notice. Had the front end aligned last week. The tech indicated that the camber was way out and may have been that way since new (21000kms on it now). With the 2” drop in the rear the caster and toe needed attention to. Maybe worth doing if you have not done so. My steering wheel was off center a bit which prompted the alignment check.

T.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I'm cheap, run them down.

That said, I recently replaced mine (about a month ago) at 32k miles, and I'm 10000% happier with the new shoes than with the old ones.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The OEMs are marginal in snow. If you have ‘real’ winters, better to upgrade to more capable tires.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sorta wanna call BS on the above post, to a degree, but I won’t. There are to many variables to consider.

Firstly. I’m in southwestern Ontario (Port Huron, Detriot Michigan type weather).

Secondly: Even with 4-wheel drive my common sense helps to tell me when I can and when I should not venture out with a basic street tire in service.

The SR-A’s are not the full on Off Road tires, that is a given. But my set, so far (winter service only) are doing ok with (as far as I can tell) none of the ills others are seeing. I’ll continue to burn them down for as many km’s as I can. Flame suit on.

T.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found the SRAs to be surprisingly good in the snow. Rain is another story....

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I was also happy with my SRA'S , But my RAM is a street queen ! SO my driving style is mild ! I went to a dedicated snow so never used them in winter, only with a dusting ! Now I have AT/S Good Years so will see how they are in the snow ! If they suck I will put my snow tires on :)

Last edited:

Firehawk54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just replaced mine (from a 2013 Ram 1500 I just purchased from my dad) had only 10,000 OEM miles on them. Found that they were quite "slippery" when any water whatsoever was on the ground and especially starting up a hill. That said, they were 6 years old too, so that may have played a role.

I just had Nitto Terra Grapplers mounted on mine Saturday. Feels much more sure footed. Snow tomorrow morning here in Utah, so maybe I will find out how they do.

FH

Farmer17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I bought a new 2018 Ram V6 Tradesman quad cab with 17 inch aluminum wheels and factory SR-A tires and they have been great. I have about 43K miles and they've been very smooth and quiet with excellent handling and they should last me another 10K miles but I will buy something a little more aggressive next time, they're ok in rain but awful in the mud.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found the SRAs to be surprisingly good in the snow. Rain is another story....

Same here, over all for what most people use these trucks for they are ok.

I beat the **** out of them in order to replace them, in the snow/dry they were pretty good, in the rain towards the end they sucked.

Wookiee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am in Ontario, Canada. My 2017 has 74000kms /46000ms on it. I've run the SRA's through lots of snow. Didn't have a problem until recently with spinning in the rain. Just replaced them today with Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S.... Seemed like the best choice for my daily driving commute. Only put 6km on driving home from the shop so will have to see how they are. Got a great price on them plus a mail in rebate..... Zoom zoom...

WSeanMac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine were brand new and slipping in heavy rain. I didn't want to take a chance in winter with a brand new truck so I replaced them with blizzaks. I can tell you that even my wife noticed the difference in the ride immediately. Those stock wranglers must be what gives it that cruzin' in a lazy boy feel ! it is noticeably bumpier now but we had a lot of snow the last few days and no traction issues with the BZ's... I am used to vehicles with a stiffer ride anyway (RX7's and mustang)

Still deciding if I will keep the wranglers for the summer and wear them out or see if I can sell them now while they are new and use the $$ towards a better summer tire...

Ramcolorado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kept mine till 19,000k, but have hated them since day one. Just my opinion but terrible in snow. I feel like I am riding on ice all the time! Live in Colorado so used to snow driving. Getting them off now and I can’t wait!

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RAMSnowCrop2.jpg We had significant snow fall here last Tuesday. I'd say it was maybe a foot to a foot and a half deep give or take... Four wheel lock and the SR-A's pulled right through the un-tracked street build up without any issue I could detect. Not a vote for or against the SR-A's..just stating my experiences again. I'll run them till they are worn out. Mostly used in winter service.

T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Crew Cab
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI
The Goodyear SR-A were not the best street / highway tire, but they are not the worst either. Dry pavement roads, highway speeds and snow w/ 4x4 they performed good (no towing). But they are like Gremlins, you can’t get them wet or bad things can happen.

Wet pavement in the rain they have no grip, no stopping power and feels like you will hydro when you hit a puddle. My dealership swapped my tires at 1.5 years (warranty) and I just had the second set taken off this week (even though there was still good tread left).

I went with Michelin Defender’s and the ride is like night & day vs GY. Smooth and quiet at highway speeds. Have to be easy with my brakes because these stop excellent. No chance yet to try them in the rain, but based on scores 9+ for all categories on tire rack, I should be fine.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the dealer switch the tires from my 2015 to 2019 before it left the lot.Not a fan of Goodyear tires.

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I’m at 42k miles on my stock Goodyear SRA’s.

Reading these comments makes me feel that I know how to drive in the rain and take care of my tires better than some of you guys and ......that’s funny as all I do is rotate and balance them twice a year. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6

Reading these comments makes me feel that I know how to drive in the rain and take care of my tires better than some of you guys and ......that’s funny as all I do is rotate and balance them twice a year. Lol.

I also had good luck with my SRA tires

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Right!!! I have had zero issues with them aside from driving down some dirt/gravel roads they don't handle the best on them but you feel how the truck is handling and react. Helps i prob drive a forklift and have for 30 years and those tires are bald AF and hit water with that.... Thats a ride...LOL