Stop running on fewer cylinders ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DOC L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
How can you over-ride a 2019 1500 from running on 4 cylinders when cruising ?? A friend of mine demonstrated it on his truck and told me that he had learned how from the forum ??

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should have plus/minus buttons on your steering wheel like in pic.
Set plus to 8 on speedo evic and it bypasses the 4 cylinder mode.
It works that way on my 17 and assume its the same on your 19.
Someone else will chime in to verify or poopoo my writing

Screenshot_20191119-191804_eBay.jpg

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me its a BS feature and nothing but annoying. I never noticed a change in MPG.. Mine is always in plus 8 or occasionally tow haul mode

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tow haul doesn’t bypass. Just holds gears longer. Tow haul and 4 cylinder work for me around town doing under 45. Once I hit 45 the 4 cylinder shutdown has no effect. Around 25-30 when it goes into 4 cylinder my truck claims it’s getting 28-30 mpg but with all 8 claims 16 mpg. Not so sure how true that is as the factory mpg gauge is wrong. Just click the gears till it says 8 and it’ll lock out 4 cylinder shutoff. But you have to do that every time you put the vehicle in drive. It’ll still automatically shift through gears

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
To me its a BS feature and nothing but annoying. I never noticed a change in MPG.. Mine is always in plus 8 or occasionally tow haul mode

As @Hemi395 can attest, there is no mileage increase because they send more gas to the 4 cylinders that are working LMAO? There has been no good tech added to trucks in the name of gas mileage, it all doesn't work for **** and all will lessen life of parts. Heated tranny fluid, heated diffs, mds, **** thin fluids, etc etc, it is all garbage. There is one thing however that really works, buy a pennstar w/o all that **** of you want mileage over a hemi, then you get it. All the gov't did was ruin hemi's in the name of being PC or some ****. Force this ideology on everyone, even though all if it at best buys you 1 mpg. And they could have got there w/o doing all of this garbage, just ask Ford. All fca did was through garbage on a great engine that has the huge benefit of a hemispheric cylinder. There is way more potential in the hemi design then what chevy or ford has, but they are kicking our ass and laughing at the gov't tech we put up with. FCA doesn't deserve the Mopar name IMO.

2020 trucks below, and look at MPG's as well!

Ford f150 450hp 10 speed
chevy 420hp 10 speed
Ram 5.7 still what it has always been 390hp 8 speed

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As @Burla mentioned I've been running with MDS off for over 2 years now and have seen MAYBE .5 mpg loss on the highway. However I've also added Bilsteins at 2.8 so I have a feeling the loss has more to do with that than MDS being turned off.

As soon as it goes into MDS the injectors pulsewidths doubles on the 4 active cylinders. Doesn't sound like fuel savings to me...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I tell ya, if your listening Ram, put a Sport button in all trucks with V8.
Turn off MDS, puts tranny in Sport shift.

My 392 Charger drove totally better with that on.

Octane

Reaction score
As @Hemi395 can attest, there is no mileage increase because they send more gas to the 4 cylinders that are working LMAO? There has been no good tech added to trucks in the name of gas mileage, it all doesn't work for **** and all will lessen life of parts. Heated tranny fluid, heated diffs, mds, **** thin fluids, etc etc, it is all garbage. There is one thing however that really works, buy a pennstar w/o all that **** of you want mileage over a hemi, then you get it. All the gov't did was ruin hemi's in the name of being PC or some ****. Force this ideology on everyone, even though all if it at best buys you 1 mpg. And they could have got there w/o doing all of this garbage, just ask Ford. All fca did was through garbage on a great engine that has the huge benefit of a hemispheric cylinder. There is way more potential in the hemi design then what chevy or ford has, but they are kicking our ass and laughing at the gov't tech we put up with. FCA doesn't deserve the Mopar name IMO.

2020 trucks below, and look at MPG's as well!

Ford f150 450hp 10 speed
chevy 420hp 10 speed
Ram 5.7 still what it has always been 390hp 8 speed
The new Rams with pentastar has start/stop technology which is worse than mds.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really can't believe that now you can't get a longhorn or limited without that garbage (starting MY 2020)...really disappointed with that as my next target was going to be a 2020 longhorn. Aside from the start/stop, I'm not interested in having/paying for etorque at all. Probably only a matter of time until all the models have etorque, truly the next mds?

And a disclaimer, if you have/like the etorque I have no issue with that, to each their own. I merely want the choice rather than to either have it forced on me or buy a different truck.

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tow haul doesn’t bypass. Just holds gears longer. Tow haul and 4 cylinder work for me around town doing under 45. Once I hit 45 the 4 cylinder shutdown has no effect. Around 25-30 when it goes into 4 cylinder my truck claims it’s getting 28-30 mpg but with all 8 claims 16 mpg. Not so sure how true that is as the factory mpg gauge is wrong. Just click the gears till it says 8 and it’ll lock out 4 cylinder shutoff. But you have to do that every time you put the vehicle in drive. It’ll still automatically shift through gears

Mds has never kicked in when in tow/haul mode in my truck.. only shifts up to 6th gear and no MDS in mine when in tow/haul

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mds has never kicked in when in tow/haul mode in my truck.. only shifts up to 6th gear and no MDS in mine when in tow/haul
You have the 6 speed. It is programmed different than the 8 speed

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just put in in plus 8. Tow haul mode doesn’t always bypass the mds.

I don't use T/H often, but when I do, MDS has never kicked on.

Once I hit 45 the 4 cylinder shutdown has no effect.

I would argue that it has no effect at any speed. But if you're saying that MDS does not activate above 45MPH you must have a special truck. Both my '15 and '20 did/will/do activate MDS up to 55 at least.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't use T/H often, but when I do, MDS has never kicked on.

I would argue that it has no effect at any speed. But if you're saying that MDS does not activate above 45MPH you must have a special truck. Both my '15 and '20 did/will/do activate MDS up to 55 at least.
Well It doesn’t unless decelerating. It won’t activate because I’m on 35s and it can’t push them in 4 cylinder mode

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have the 6 speed. It is programmed different than the 8 speed

No I have a 2019 8 speed . When in tow/haul mode it only shifts to 6th gear and mds does not activate.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I have a 2019 8 speed . When in tow/haul mode it only shifts to 6th gear and mds does not activate.
If you have the 8 spd tow haul does not lock out mds. Nor does it lock out any gears. Unless your truck is different than the rest. Tow haul my truck still shifts into 8th just at a later mph. Somewhere around 65-70 I hit 8th instead of 50 and mds still activates with tow haul. Mds activates any time the engine is under a certain load and tow haul actually reduces engine load by keeping the rpms higher by keeping in a lower gear to reduce strain.