Strange gauge on dashboard, unknown purpose, please help identify

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
If your are assuming there are no airbags because the ride is rough, that probably won't be an indicator, as they will make for a rougher ride when unloaded. That is, if they are inflated. If they aren't inflated, they won't really affect the ride much. If you heard air escaping when you toggled the switch, you probably have airbags that you let air out of. You may not hear anything when they inflate, but the air may escape directly from the toggle when releasing pressure (depends on the system).

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I looked. There is clearly after market struts that have lifted the truck up likely 8 inches above stock, but not the suspension air bags that would make sense for all the parts I found. It's all good, its not hurting anything for it all to be down there, just irratating that none of it seems to work or is useful in some way.

This truck is only 6 years old, but clearly has lived a hell of a life so far...
Struts don't lift a truck, nor do shocks, springs do the lifting. It's hard to believe you are ex military with a cdl and don't know the basics of a suspension system. All the pics you have taken are pointing to an air lift/helper system in that truck, actually looks like they started out with helpers that you manually fill through that valve at the rear, then most likely upgraded to onboard air with the compressor, tank, guage on dash, and the increase/decrease switch. The tank probably still has low pressure/atmospheric pressure, that is why you hear air release when you hit the switch, but compressor is probably toast.
Take so e pics of the rear shocks/springs and axle area, and post them up

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Struts don't lift a truck, nor do shocks, springs do the lifting. It's hard to believe you are ex military with a cdl and don't know the basics of a suspension system. All the pics you have taken are pointing to an air lift/helper system in that truck, actually looks like they started out with helpers that you manually fill through that valve at the rear, then most likely upgraded to onboard air with the compressor, tank, guage on dash, and the increase/decrease switch. The tank probably still has low pressure/atmospheric pressure, that is why you hear air release when you hit the switch, but compressor is probably toast.
Take so e pics of the rear shocks/springs and axle area, and post them up

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That added was my second thought. We used to put an air **** on the rear of trucks with "T" lines to shocks that U could go to gas station and Air up them Munro's, LOL...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Ricktara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think it's a compressor to inflate airbags. The bags probably got damaged and we're removed. Just add a set of bags and you will have a compressor already the change pressures as needed.

Mitch1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins Diesel
Definitely an air ride setup. I had an airbag pressure gauge in my Peterbilt. They come in handy guessdamating your trailer load weight by the increased pressure. In his case tongue weight. The valve stem on the back is not normal and not a trailer hookup. They would use glad hands. My guess is the air compressor went bad and he added that valve to manually fill the system at an air pump. You are reading zero because there is a leak in the system. Take an air hose and manually add air in the back and listen for leaks.

Last edited:

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Schrader valve is on our work dually here at the shop...goes into a "t" then into both shocks as turkeybird has stated...i think this valve was prolly to evacuate the air....where do the outputs of that "t"fitting go?I like mitch1204 reply also

Last edited:

Jay Morrgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V-8
The air inflators by the license plate may be for manual inflation in case the pump fails. I had airbags on my Dodge and the air pump failed frequently, so I had each side run to the license plate so I could use an airtank or pump at a gas station to inflate the bags and then adjust them with an air gauge.

warcar1947

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hEMI
On systems that I have used on other trucks the valve by the license plate was for attaching a coiled air hose to use for inflating your tires or anything else you need to inflate. the switch on the dash next to the gauge had to be turned on for it to work.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
Be a cool setup to be able to air down the tires for some off roading and then air them back up when you’re done

Scott Sprankle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You have a set-up for rear air bags, with an on-board compressor and air tank. I used them on my work trucks to level them up when I pulled a heavy trailer. Your previous owner removed the air bags and left the rest of the system, probably when he installed the lift kit. The Schrader valve by the rear tag was to air up the tank when the compressor quit.

LarryRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You may have air shocks. they look pretty much like a regular shock, except there is a fitting for connecting an air line.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you sir. So another part to remove later then.
Do not remove that, that is factory you will mess up the fuel system
The wires are cut on the compressor, so it is likely full of crap and rust, Pull it off and strip it down and clean up,it may start working. The line to the back I think is a pressure line to fill the tank, from a shop compressor so you don't have to wait for that small compressor pump up that tank.
Would be a handy set up on a service truck or blowing up tires or air stuff at the lake. Put a quick coupler some where and carry a air hose and you have it made. A compressor may not be that much to replace if that one is toast.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
would be nice to track down the previous owner or stock he/she and get the exact info.

Jrws6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cunnins
Maybe the previous owner took there airbags/ air shocks and Train Horns with them before they sold it. lol
Enjoy they new rig!
Post some pics