Strange vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikebhc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 4x4 with a V6, stock tires, and 25K miles. The truck runs just as good as when I first drove it off the lot...except for one thing. When the front windows are closed, and only the back ones open (or half open), there is a horrible vibration that seems to be coming from the rear axle/tires. The steering wheel and console shake pretty violently If I open the front windows (quad cab) it goes away. If I have all of the windows open, there is no vibration at all. Tire wear seems even and air pressure is fine. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I have full MFG warranty until the end of the year.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do you have a sliding back window
If you do, when the truck is shaking pretty good, crack the rear window open an inch & see if it changes anything

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's called Helmholtz Resonance effect. Look it up.
Mine does it too.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It sounds like He has a shake in his steering wheel
not a
Helmholtz resonance sometimes occurs when a slightly open single car window makes a very loud sound, also called side window buffeting or wind throb.
If he had the helicopter sound of turning blades, that would give him a WHOMP WHOMP, like some of the larger shop fans

OP
OP
mikebhc

mikebhc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
Do you have a sliding back window
If you do, when the truck is shaking pretty good, crack the rear window open an inch & see if it changes anything
No back window, but opening a front window alleviates the problem. Thanks for responding.

OP
OP
mikebhc

mikebhc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
It's called Helmholtz Resonance effect. Look it up.
Mine does it too.
I looked this up, and I believe this is what I'm experiencing. I rarely drive with only my back windows open. Usually just the fronts or all of them. Thanks for your info.

OP
OP
mikebhc

mikebhc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
It sounds like He has a shake in his steering wheel
not a
Helmholtz resonance sometimes occurs when a slightly open single car window makes a very loud sound, also called side window buffeting or wind throb.
If he had the helicopter sound of turning blades, that would give him a WHOMP WHOMP, like some of the larger shop fans
Steering wheel is sound...and yes, it's definetly a "whomp...whomp " sound. Thanks for your response.