Stupid Radio canbus, anyone do it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thesmoother

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 sxt
Engine
i installed a touchscreen radio it works fine but will not turn off when ignition is off. first thought i crossed the ign positive with the constant voltage but i had it right. only way to turn it off is unplug the ignition wire.
i know i need a pac or canbus unit whatever they are called but for 70-100 bucks i didnt know if there was a work around since i dont need stearing wheel controls, and no factory amp just simple factory 4 speaker setup.
i have all the radio, speakers and amps to install but dont know what i need to get the radio to turn off with ignition. anyone figure this out?
thanks guys
08 ram 1500 std cab BTW

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you use the $6 harness to wire it in or just splice directly into the OE wires?
I think what you need to do is find a good source for the RAP (Retained Accessory Power) that shuts off with the CANBUS when you open the door.

Man, I wish my '04 had that. Ah modern luxuries...

OP
OP
thesmoother

thesmoother

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 sxt
Engine
i wired the radio into a harness that plugs into factory harness. have to research that RAP. this is so stupid just to install a radio, never heard of any other manf doing it this way. thanks

G8rDuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this an 08 thing? My 07 didn’t have that issue when I installed an Alipine Ilx-007

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KPMH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i installed a touchscreen radio it works fine but will not turn off when ignition is off. first thought i crossed the ign positive with the constant voltage but i had it right. only way to turn it off is unplug the ignition wire.
i know i need a pac or canbus unit whatever they are called but for 70-100 bucks i didnt know if there was a work around since i dont need stearing wheel controls, and no factory amp just simple factory 4 speaker setup.
i have all the radio, speakers and amps to install but dont know what i need to get the radio to turn off with ignition. anyone figure this out?
thanks guys
08 ram 1500 std cab BTW
On my '15 Tradesman, I used the driver's side cig lighter as an ignition controlled power source for the switch when I installed some running lights. Had to take the trim around the radio off to get to it but it works great. Switch is permanently on and lights come on and off with ignition and I don't even think about it any more. Just a thought.

Pete

IMG_3206.JPG

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can remove your cigarette lighter connection & tie into that wire

Or if you don't smoke, replace the lighter with a power outlet

fication-Accessory-3-Color-LED-Light-for-All-Phone.jpg
AP81D200705DX7V5.jpg

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Your harness adapter is probably tapping into the canbus wire instead of ignition on. Make sure you triple check that adapter against a service manual wiring diagram for your model year.