Supposed to have lsd but doesnt look like i do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As title says, when i got my truck i asked and double checked that it had lsd or anti spin differential as ram calls it, he assured me it did and said they dont order many trucks without it, well doing an oil change today and doing the diffs also sure looks like just an open diff to me unless they work differently then the clutch packs im used to seeing, heres a pic to see what you guys think
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410020380.907938.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When your truck was up on the lift (in neutral) when you turned one wheel forward did the other one do the same?
Pretty sure ram uses a helical lsd so you wont see any clutch packs. More durable than clutch packs too!

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah looks open. What does your window sticker say?

Should say anti-spin differential in the options. You cannot always go off of what the dealer says. If your sticker does show it as an option, Id take it in and have it replaced.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Around here, very few of the trucks on the lot have LS. 90% of the people buying trucks don't know, and don't care. They just want to know if they can swing the payment or not.

If your truck doesn't have LS, you were either lied to, or your salesman is a moron. Either way, the dealership owes it to you to make it right.

I ordered my last two vehicles. That's the only way to do it, if you are "in to it", if you're a real driver that enjoys the driving experience. But to most people, driving is a chore, and the vehicle companies build cars for them. There are exceptions.

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, same here. Dealer told me they don't order their trucks with it, that it was a thing of the past with the traction control and stability control today. I had to order the truck to get it. Says right on the build sheet.

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here they order mostly lsd, im up in northern ontario, never got the window sticker it wasnt on it when i got it, even with the helical gears you would see its housing right? I didnt try spinning tires but will jack up the rear end and try it

OP
OP
iam_canadian22

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just checked moes and the pic of the oem limited slip looks just like mine, looks like i can sleep in relief tonight lol, sorry for the panic

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you lookup your VIN using the link to see if it was in the options listing?

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
A build sheet should tell as well if it was equipped or not with an LSD.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here they order mostly lsd, im up in northern ontario, never got the window sticker it wasnt on it when i got it, even with the helical gears you would see its housing right? I didnt try spinning tires but will jack up the rear end and try it

yeah mine isn't listed on the window sticker either but i think it's standard on the Outdoorsman so that might be way. actually just went to look at it on the build tool but they've remade the build tool and i don't see the LSD listed as standard or an option which is weird

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
All this looking things up and jacking things up....just go find you a quiet spot to do a burnout and see how many tires spin....problem solved.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How the hell do you spin any tires with all the electronic nannies??????

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is a plate clutch LSD, the plates are inside the carrier on the left and right side. Here's a rebuild article that hopefully makes it clearer:
Rebuilding A Limited Slip Differential - Dodge Ram 1500 4WD - Dana Trac-Lok - Off-Road Magazine
The article describes the older Dana TracLok but the AAM PC diff is essentially the same.

The 1500 doesn't use AAM parts, that is the 2500's. To that point the 2500's use a helical lsd and it looks 100% different than the picture from this thread.