Rear axle noise after service 2021 Warlock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dghpts

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,
Question for you all, this dealer's actions don't seem right to me.
I have 2021 Warlock, absolutely love this truck!!!

I just had my truck in for the third free service (bought her used). The service writer suggested since I just went past 30k miles the differential should be serviced. Normally I would do this myself, But I figured WTH and let them do it.

About a week afterward I start hearing noise on tight turns at low speed from the rear axle (like a loose detroit locker), I can also feel it in the seat (my friends in the 70s told me I had a calibrated ass for troubleshooting drive train issues). I used to race Fords and Mopars and worked on a lot of buddies cars as well.
I brought her back to the dealership and was told that they didn't do anything wrong (of course). The service writer took her for a spin around the parking lot and when she came back drove her straight to the service bays. Then she told me that they were going to look into the noise. Two hours later the truck was ready.

I was told that there was no problem, but they did the service again anyway. ???? what? I was then told that the lube for a limited slip was different from a standard differential, I told her I knew that, did they forget to put in lube or put in the wrong lube? She just told me to drive it for a 100 miles or so and if the noise doesn't go away to bring her back in. Interesting, I wasn't given any paperwork for the return, and I got an email a couple of days later saying I missed my scheduled appointment ( the one I made online for the noise).

Well I had to go away for a training class for two weeks so she sat in my driveway for a while, when I got back I went for a ride and sure as $#!+ the noise is back with a vengeance, especially after she warms up. I texted the SW (they all communicate by texts these days) and said the noise was back, was told to " bring it in as soon as you can I will get it right into the back to the tech"

I'm going to schedule another appt online so there is a record (I have an 100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain) and I want this issue logged in case of future problems.

In reading up on this truck I'm seeing that the "anti-spin" differential uses the same caming action a clutch based limited slip uses but the computer applies braking to slipping side to force the other wheel to pick up the load. Or is this on the Gen 5's? What could the noise be?

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
First I would Request paper work for the original visit and what they did! Did they do anything else?? Original and first return visit documentation. Next going to be real hard to guess from the other side of a computer without actually hearing it. If you have a long Screw driver take it with you. See if they will let you in the shop while it is up in the air (probably will not). I assume this is how they are checking it. Or you could jack it up if you have a floor jack. If you do not, Harbor freight is a good place to get one, which can be a very useful tool in YOUR garage. I assume also it is a 4wd? Is the noise from the back? did your service include the front diff. also, again if 4WD. The tip of the screw driver against the cover area and out near the axle bearing (just behind the backing plates) and the other end against your ear. it becomes a cheap (inexpensive) stethoscope. Noise needs to be located before it can be solved. Did they pull the cover and drain and clean, or some places use a fancy vacuum pump and suck out what they can through the fill hole. Which is a poor way to do it. Document it!!! If where you live has an agency that over sees "repair Shop" customer complaints, get them involved. I have seen it happen where they got busy, or someone else finished the job, OR?? where fluid (or enough fluid) was never put in. It that is the case, damage is done. If they do not have the skill to change fluid, do they have someone who can and will fix it?? Things happen, and a good shop will make a proper repair or have it repaired to save a customer. I have never heard of anyone that does it all correct. Wait a minute, MY DAD ALWAYS SAID HE DID!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your Warlock is a Gen4, run your vin# to see if its a Anti spin rear differential, link is below

use all capital letters!!!

Last edited:

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not the first time modifier was forgotten. That's my guess. They forgot and maybe they didn't start from scratch and tried to pull out some fluid to add modifier and then didn't add enough.

OP
OP
dghpts

dghpts

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All, thanks for the assistance.
I did contact RamCares, glad we have such a resource available to us.
I've been back to the dealer twice, they finally admitted there was a problem.
The last time I stopped in to complain they had a different tech test drive the truck and and "found noisy track lock clutches".
Told me to bring her back as soon as I can and leave her. That was Friday.
I just picked her up (tuesday) and they tore down the diff and found worn bearings, and clutch material in the fluid.
So it looks like they DID forget to add lube when they first serviced her.
They replaced the bearings, track lock assembly and clutches, road tested and found good. They must have had quite the test drive they burned almost a half tank of fuel, but as long as she's all fixed it's worth it. So I'll be doing a lot more driving to make sure the fix was good.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
A dealership close to my place, did a oil change & inspection
they never looked at the rear differential.
about 350 - 400 miles later, i was back at the dealership & complained about the noise, i would have taken it back sooner, but i was on a driving job out of State & i could not leave it
They knew that the issue was caused by the dealerships Express Lane service.

1693372543257.png

OP
OP
dghpts

dghpts

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all! I'm back again! I've had her back from the shop for two days, now the noise is back with a vengeance.
I went through the dash cam video of the test drive. The two mechanics are talking about the chipped ring gear and how it seems to be working fine.
So they gave me back a truck with a known damaged ring gear.

Opinions?

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably just ask the service mgr if it was replaced because you are confused by what you heard on your camera. Feel free to post the video of the techs for our analysis and entertainment. :)

cityredneck

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
at my 30k mile service i also had them replace the rear diff fluid. a few day later i noticed noise from the rear axle. went back to the dealership and one of the techs took a ride and heard the noise, he said that it appears that the limited slip modifier wasnt added when they replaced the diff fluid. they replaced the rear diff and have been trbl free for the last 30k miles. the paperwork showed it was replaced under warranty when i got it back.

OP
OP
dghpts

dghpts

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well... they've had her for the last week. They sent me a video, showed the tech spinning the wheel and the opposite one is spinning backwards, like an open diff. They said the replacement they put in must have been defective, so they didn't spin the wheels as a quick check? Also sent me a closeup of the ring gear chip. They said they have to order new ring & pinion. Sooo... I'm supposed to get her back by Tuesday. We'll see how she does.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All,
Question for you all, this dealer's actions don't seem right to me.
I have 2021 Warlock, absolutely love this truck!!!

I just had my truck in for the third free service (bought her used). The service writer suggested since I just went past 30k miles the differential should be serviced. Normally I would do this myself, But I figured WTH and let them do it.

About a week afterward I start hearing noise on tight turns at low speed from the rear axle (like a loose detroit locker), I can also feel it in the seat (my friends in the 70s told me I had a calibrated ass for troubleshooting drive train issues). I used to race Fords and Mopars and worked on a lot of buddies cars as well.
I brought her back to the dealership and was told that they didn't do anything wrong (of course). The service writer took her for a spin around the parking lot and when she came back drove her straight to the service bays. Then she told me that they were going to look into the noise. Two hours later the truck was ready.

I was told that there was no problem, but they did the service again anyway. ???? what? I was then told that the lube for a limited slip was different from a standard differential, I told her I knew that, did they forget to put in lube or put in the wrong lube? She just told me to drive it for a 100 miles or so and if the noise doesn't go away to bring her back in. Interesting, I wasn't given any paperwork for the return, and I got an email a couple of days later saying I missed my scheduled appointment ( the one I made online for the noise).

Well I had to go away for a training class for two weeks so she sat in my driveway for a while, when I got back I went for a ride and sure as $#!+ the noise is back with a vengeance, especially after she warms up. I texted the SW (they all communicate by texts these days) and said the noise was back, was told to " bring it in as soon as you can I will get it right into the back to the tech"

I'm going to schedule another appt online so there is a record (I have an 100,000 mile warranty on the drivetrain) and I want this issue logged in case of future problems.

In reading up on this truck I'm seeing that the "anti-spin" differential uses the same caming action a clutch based limited slip uses but the computer applies braking to slipping side to force the other wheel to pick up the load. Or is this on the Gen 5's? What could the noise be?
Why not take the truck to a master who knows what the hell they're doing? All that gut-grind is SO unnecessary. That dealer doesn't deserve any more chances.

OP
OP
dghpts

dghpts

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Warlock
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sherman, This is the last chance for these guys. I swear if she makes anymore noise after this one, well actually that doesn't matter. I'm not bringing her to this dealer ever again. They told me that they were going over everything to make sure it's perfect. We'll see. I'm supposed to pick her up tomorrow. (Tuesday)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sherman, This is the last chance for these guys. I swear if she makes anymore noise after this one, well actually that doesn't matter. I'm not bringing her to this dealer ever again. They told me that they were going over everything to make sure it's perfect. We'll see. I'm supposed to pick her up tomorrow. (Tuesday)
In my 48th year of professional automotive repair, and having spent over half of the time in dealerships, I really wonder what is so difficult about teaching the trade to competency. The first Ford dealer I worked for in the 70's was staffed in the shop by many German heritage artisans. What an inspiration for me and my young peers to become the consummate professionals such as they modeled. My mentor in this business was a Rolls Royce master. He modeled much more than merely fixing cars. There was professional ethics, pride in workmanship, etc. all that I have valued and applied through the years.

But one needs to understand the second position of money to "get" it. There is SO much more to the wholeness of the trade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat