Surface Scratches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While debadging my Ram, I have acquired several light surface scratches where the badges used to be. Definitely nothing that penetrated the top protective coat, as you can't feel them, and can only see them from an angle. But, I know they're there and would prefer for them to be gone!

What products have you guys used with the best success at removing these sort of scratches? I had some Meguiars scratch X in my pile o junk drawer in the garage, and that really did nothing, so looking for better/different suggestions...

Appreciate whatever help you can throw my way...

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Last edited:

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Last edited:

Hudson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
ulitimate compound by hand is very mild imho. The clear coat is middle of the road as far as harndess goes.

scratch x will definately do nothing for you

OP
OP
Hoff

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if you run you fingernail on the scratch does it catch?
Pictures would help in this situation
If scratchx did nothing then try this
https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-compound.html

If that does not help the scratch is deep and may require machine polishing

Nope, no catch when I run my nail down the scratches. They're definitely just surface scratches... I'll look for this Meguiars product. Appreciate ya...

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go with ultimate compound or ultimate polish if it's really light scuffing. Easily done by hand with a microfiber towel (short nap side) or microfiber application pad. All can be found at Wal-Mart.

OP
OP
Hoff

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just tried to get a good picture, but it's so cloudy and the area is shiny from my attempts earlier, it's not catching the scratches... they're definitely light though, so I'll hit up the Wally World and find this Ultimate Compound and give it a shot... just a microfiber, huh? No need for a buffing pad or anything?

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they're really superficial, gonna sound silly but you might wanna consider giving some water and toothpaste a shot. Might save you a little coin.

OP
OP
Hoff

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they're really superficial, gonna sound silly but you might wanna consider giving some water and toothpaste a shot. Might save you a little coin.

I actually considered giving that a shot, but figured I'd give it a legit shot first. With her being only a couple weeks old (to me, anyways), I'm ok with spending a couple bucks to do it right!

Simpleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While debadging my Ram, I have acquired several light surface scratches where the badges used to be. Definitely nothing that penetrated the top protective coat, as you can't feel them, and can only see them from an angle. But, I know they're there and would prefer for them to be gone!

What products have you guys used with the best success at removing these sort of scratches? I had some Meguiars scratch X in my pile o junk drawer in the garage, and that really did nothing, so looking for better/different suggestions...

Appreciate whatever help you can throw my way...
Try this polish it has a nice bite to it you wont be disappointed check out my thread

20200210_190348.jpg

DURASPANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're not experienced at paint correction. Please go ask a detailer.
I've been painting vehicles for over 30 years and can fix anything but good detail people know how to repair/hide imperfections without removing as much top coat as I would to fix factory finish. You can never get that back.

AdamsPolishes

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A shiny one
Like mentioned if you can catch your finger nail in them you can't remove however you can lessen the scratches.
That being said if they are light scratches you might be able to remove them with our Revive polish.
Or if they are a little deeper our Machine Polish with blue pad will get the job done.

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/polishing-paint-correction-detailing

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My process to remove any imperfection Including swirls, clearcoat scratches or heavy contaminants is:

1) wash and dry
2) Apply preferred cutting compound with RO polisher (I use mcg’s ultimate)
3) Apply preferred polish (mcg’s for me)
4) Apply wax (mcg’s tech for me)

If is doesn’t do the job, you may need to seek professional advice