Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
^^^Glad my wife isn't the only one like this. The number of times I've driven her vehicle for whatever reason over the years and immediately noticed some godawful noise that's super obvious. Then when I ask her about it shes like "oh yeah it's been doing that for several weeks..." or "really? Haven't noticed..."

LOL..!!!

Thats the exact case for my wife. She was driving with a howling wheel bearing for over 4 weeks. I get in to go with her somewhere and can hear it at 10MPH!!! .

“Wow...!! You have a totally shot wheel bearing!”

Wife
“ its been like that for a while so I thought it was normal.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Keep in mind that the manufacturer warranty and the Lifetime Maximum Care warranty are two different things. The Lifetime Max care warranty starts after the manufacturer warranty ends. Lifetime max care is under FCA Service Contracts LLC and the manufacturer is FCA US LLC. Two different legal entities, with two different contractual agreements / warranty guide lines. The manual from the manufacturer "Recommends" PUP 0w40 while the Lifetime Maximum Warranty contract states Only Recommend AND Approved fluids shall be used. And if a third party does maintenance on the vehicle you MUST keep all recipes to prove proper fluids were used.
According the the Lifetime Max Warranty they have the right to deny warranty claims if maintenance conditions are not fulfilled. Aftermarket Oil filters are considered "Aftermarket" and Will voild your Lifetime Max Warranty. But that has nothing to do with the manufacturer warranty.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Keep in mind that the manufacturer warranty and the Lifetime Maximum Care warranty are two different things. The Lifetime Max care warranty starts after the manufacturer warranty ends. Lifetime max care is under FCA Service Contracts LLC and the manufacturer is FCA US LLC. Two different legal entities, with two different contractual agreements / warranty guide lines. The manual from the manufacturer "Recommends" PUP 0w40 while the Lifetime Maximum Warranty contract states Only Recommend AND Approved fluids shall be used. And if a third party does maintenance on the vehicle you MUST keep all recipes to prove proper fluids were used.
According the the Lifetime Max Warranty they have the right to deny warranty claims if maintenance conditions are not fulfilled. Aftermarket Oil filters are considered "Aftermarket" and Will voild your Lifetime Max Warranty. But that has nothing to do with the manufacturer warranty.

Probably should've read the fine print better, but I don't feel all that bad knowing I got the truck + lifetime for cheaper than lesser spec'd trucks at other dealer lots. I've been using SRT filters and RP 20-820's with varying combinations of PUP, PP, and RL in the truck since new with RL fluids in everything but the 8 speed. Based on how its currently running with the amalgamation of left over RL 0W-40, PUP 0w-40, and a single quart of PP 5w-30 I'm probably going to switch it over to 100% RL 0W-40 next oil change so I don't need to keep two different grades on hand. Honestly the truck will probably end up with a Whipple or Procharger on it or being replaced with something else by the time I would need the lifetime warranty anyways.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Exactly right.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
HammerHead said:
According the the Lifetime Max Warranty they have the right to deny warranty claims if maintenance conditions are not fulfilled. Aftermarket Oil filters are considered "Aftermarket" and Will voild your Lifetime Max Warranty. ............

So they can deny warranty just based on the aftermarket filter alone even if it was not the cause of failure? I highly doubt that situation.

If the aftermarket filter was the actual cause, then of course as that liability would fall on the aftermarket filter maker.

The Max warranty contract I have, has the following language:

YOUR RESPONSIBILITY: Your responsibility is to

properly operate, care for and maintain the vehicle as

prescribed in the owner’s manual supplied by the

manufacturer. You should retain all maintenance receipts to

avoid any misunderstanding as to whether or not the

maintenance services were performed as required.

Depending on circumstances, Chrysler Service Contracts

reserves the right to inspect, investigate, or demand proof of

maintenance BEFORE performance of repairs.

Owners manual language does not forbid use of aftermarket parts outright, just parts that fail to meet their minimum specifications.

Secondly, the Max warranty contract I have, has the following language in regards to aftermarket parts for what the plan will not cover:

Repairs to a covered component caused by the failure of

a non-covered component and/or an aftermarket

installation not performed by an Authorized Chrysler

Dealer,.....................

Once again, this is not language that you will be denied warranty just for the sole use of an aftermarket filter, only if said aftermarket filter caused the failure.

I get you called and talked to somebody, but their advice at the end of the day is not gospel, it is what the contract language says is. Path of least resistance is to use OEM parts, outright deny warranty for aftermarket filter and parts without actually causing an issue, I am not sold on that.

I think it is a "Chicken Little" non issue for 99.9% of Max Care users out there. I will even go so far as to offer and pay for their next dealer receipted oil change to the first person to show me a documented example of a Max Care Warranty being denied for the sole reason of a aftermarket oil filter alone and was not the cause of the oil related failure or non MS spec'd oil with correct weight and API SM/SN was adhere to.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So they can deny warranty just based on the aftermarket filter alone even if it was not the cause of failure? I highly doubt that situation.

If the aftermarket filter was the actual cause, then of course as that liability would fall on the aftermarket filter maker.

The Max warranty contract I have, has the following language:

Owners manual language does not forbid use of aftermarket parts outright, just parts that fail to meet their minimum specifications.

Secondly, the Max warranty contract I have, has the following language in regards to aftermarket parts for what the plan will not cover:

Once again, this is not language that you will be denied warranty just for the sole use of an aftermarket filter, only if said aftermarket filter caused the failure.

I get you called and talked to somebody, but their advice at the end of the day is not gospel, it is what the contract language says is. Path of least resistance is to use OEM parts, outright deny warranty for aftermarket filter and parts without actually causing an issue, I am not sold on that.

I think it is a "Chicken Little" non issue for 99.9% of Max Care users out there. I will even go so far as to offer and pay for their next dealer receipted oil change to the first person to show me a documented example of a Max Care Warranty being denied for the sole reason of a aftermarket oil filter alone and was not the cause of the oil related failure or non MS spec'd oil with correct weight and API SM/SN was adhere to.

I hope you are right but, the lifetime warranty is a contract and as such is not subject to the Magnusson moss warranty act.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I hope you are right but, the lifetime warranty is a contract and as such is not subject to the Magnusson moss warranty act.

Yeah, I get that MMWA is not applicable here. As I mentioned, the Max Care copy I have read and quoted is pretty clear to follow the owners manual and does not cover repairs that aftermarket parts "cause" a failure.

Max Care has been around awhile. Would think the various FCA product boards would be littered with tales of woe if they were denying coverage for just having aftermarket parts installed even though it did not cause the failure.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I get that MMWA is not applicable here. As I mentioned, the Max Care copy I have read and quoted is pretty clear to follow the owners manual and does not cover repairs that aftermarket parts "cause" a failure.

Max Care has been around awhile. Would think the various FCA product boards would be littered with tales of woe if they were denying coverage for just having aftermarket parts installed even though it did not cause the failure.
Check the jeep forums. It's happened, but im sure there were other larger mods in play too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Check the jeep forums. It's happened, but im sure there were other larger mods in play too.

Nah, I am not going to search the interwebs for hearsay statements. My original offer still stands that I will pay for someones receipted dealer oil change if they can show an instance were Max Care claim was denied solely for use of a aftermarket oil filter or non MS spec'd oil alone with no cause of either for the failure.

So far, it is a bunch of statements of people scared of the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain in this regard.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah, I am not going to search the interwebs for hearsay statements. My original offer still stands that I will pay for someones receipted dealer oil change if they can show an instance were Max Care claim was denied solely for use of a aftermarket oil filter or non MS spec'd oil alone with no cause of either for the failure.

So far, it is a bunch of statements of people scared of the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain in this regard.
In on your side about maxcare actually doing what we paid for. But there are definitely stories from owners on the jeep forums. Pretty sure they weren't lying, but jeepsters tend to mod more advanced than us rammers.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
In on your side about maxcare actually doing what we paid for. But there are definitely stories from owners on the jeep forums. Pretty sure they weren't lying, but jeepsters tend to mod more advanced than us rammers.

Owned a Wrangler and have seen some of the threads. AFAIK, it was all regular warranty shenanigans and not the Max Care. The worst one I remember was one guy with a Wrangler 3.6 being denied warranty for using a aftermarket oil filter but in the end, he got coverage as it was 90% of the dealer being an ass in how they handled the claim and the crappy oil filter housing design on the early 3.6 engines.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

One could always ask their dealership am how they handle non OEM oil filters. Btw, I use RP filters.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
One could always ask their dealership am how they handle non OEM oil filters. Btw, I use RP filters.

If they suspect the aftermarket oil filter, then the burden transfers to the customer to prove otherwise. All the major USA based oil filter makers have a recover and claims process if their filter is suspect of causing damage. So long as the dealer or the customer has not hacked it open or torn it apart, they send out a recover kit that has you fill out a form stating the details, provide receipts for out of pocket expenses for repair (customer has to foot the bill until the claim in processed) and have the suspect filter sent back for them to analyze and determine if filter was at fault. If at fault, they usually work with a third party claims service for payout.

While it is a uncomfortable leap of faith to have the various filter makers make their own determinations if their filters are at fault, they have done so with quite regularity in the past.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If they suspect the aftermarket oil filter, then the burden transfers to the customer to prove otherwise. All the major USA based oil filter makers have a recover and claims process if their filter is suspect of causing damage. So long as the dealer or the customer has not hacked it open or torn it apart, they send out a recover kit that has you fill out a form stating the details, provide receipts for out of pocket expenses for repair (customer has to foot the bill until the claim in processed) and have the suspect filter sent back for them to analyze and determine if filter was at fault. If at fault, they usually work with a third party claims service for payout.

While it is a uncomfortable leap of faith to have the various filter makers make their own determinations if their filters are at fault, they have done so with quite regularity in the past.
That being said most of the filter warrantys stop at replacing faulty filter. As far as any damage that said filter caused I would assume would be up to arbitration or a court.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That being said most of the filter warrantys stop at replacing faulty filter. As far as any damage that said filter caused I would assume would be up to arbitration or a court.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

There is precedent out there where Fram, AMSOIL, Champion Labs, Baldwin and even Purolator have voluntarily paid out for repair claims. Some Ching Chong **** relabeled import house brand from China, well you are probably up **** creek on that one.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mopar might be a labeled ching ching don't filter.

Reactions: U&A