Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Correct. I have 2018

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Mines a 14 with 80k on it now with the 6speed xsmn and 3.55 gears .

The 8 speed had only been out for one year in the trucks so I went the more proven 6 speed ...didn't want to chance it. Wish I had gotten the 8speed with 3.92 gears now [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mines a 14 with 80k on it now with the 6speed xsmn and 3.55 gears .

The 8 speed had only been out for one year in the trucks so I went the more proven 6 speed ...didn't want to chance it. Wish I had gotten the 8speed with 3.92 gears now [emoji848]

Let's ruffle some feathers... just because.

Unless you're constantly towing the 3.92 is overkill with the 8 speed. For my use - occasional camping trip, haul to the dump, appliance pickup there's no need for the 3.92 gearing.

I was in a bind and needed a vehicle right away... sold mine and canceled the ecodiesel order due to issues. As such I wasnt too picky with gears, I wanted the blue sport with rambox and LSD. I preferred the 3.21 and it just so happened to be the one in the lot ready to be picked up.

My order was for a fully loaded red EcoDiesel. Funny how decisions change

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Unless you're constantly towing the 3.92 is overkill with the 8 speed. For my use - occasional camping trip, haul to the dump, appliance pickup there's no need for the 3.92 gearing.

I was in a bind and needed a vehicle right away... sold mine and canceled the ecodiesel order due to issues. As such I wasnt too picky with gears, I wanted the blue sport with rambox and LSD. I preferred the 3.21 and it just so happened to be the one in the lot ready to be picked up.

But i bet most everyone that has the 8 speed and 3.92’s would never say they wish they got 3.21’s.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

I think you blew it, you should have got a prius with a trailer for the few times you use it. Probably can use walmart or amazon oil as well.

I would keep chatting, but I have re-up my NRA membership and blow some stuff up while I run some none epa oil in my 11 mpg truck that is 100% responsible for all of this climate change.

roselle_prius_trailer_img_5892_jpg.jpg

GottaBeKD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you blew it, you should have got a prius with a trailer for the few times you use it. Probably can use walmart or amazon oil as well.

I would keep chatting, but I have re-up my NRA membership and blow some stuff up while I run some none epa oil in my 11 mpg truck that is 100% responsible for all of this climate change.

roselle_prius_trailer_img_5892_jpg.jpg
Ouch. Prius... that's below the belt.

May need to go to the range to shoot off some of that hurt.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Only thing I dislike about my 3.92 gears is my gas mileage is crap on i95. Lol. I get average 14 mpg since I put AT tires on my truck. But I get plenty of smiles

thats your tires, not the 392 gears. i got around 18.5 hand calc on crap goodyear sra driving backroads on my last truck. obviously better on highway (which i rarely went). even winter i got better than 14 here in maine. and i idled alot.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
On the longer trips I typically drive the posted speed limit ++ no more than +5 mph or keep up with the flow of traffic if I'm going too slow . These are interstate speeds so 65 - 75 posted depending on where I'm at so my speeds are always in that range . As far a traffic , that is what it is ...I do like to travel at night and after about 10pm there's less vehicles on the road so cruise control on with very little interruptions for long stretches at a time .

I always travel with MDS on just because ( I've tested that theory in my truck ) I get essentially the same mpg with MDS on or off , meaning no notable difference. I've experienced a .2-.3 mpg increase with MDS on & Off so for me I just leave it on unless I'm towing .
Remember my truck is all stock just bills at +2.8 , +1.5" rear spacers , OCC and different fluids .

My daily driving for the most part is 35-55 mph to and from work about 40miles .
I'm not an aggressive driver at all .
I do off-road quite a bit which kills mpg and I tow and haul something at least twice a month which also kills mpg .
I think my mpgs are mainly due to my non-aggressive driving style and very little to do with me being full of hot air [emoji1787][emoji1787] I do run the AC pretty much all the time though [emoji848]
I'd venture to say if my truck was used as a grocery getter and long trips only I'd get over 20mpg year round .

The 3:55 ratio also helps.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thats your tires, not the 392 gears. i got around 18.5 hand calc on crap goodyear sra driving backroads on my last truck. obviously better on highway (which i rarely went). even winter i got better than 14 here in maine. and i idled alot.
Yea I’m aware. I got 18 hand calculated average and 20 hand calculated highway non stop at 70 mph before the AT tires. Now I’m lucky to see over 14.5 hand calculated average
What kind of AT tires are you running?
Procomp AT sports factory size e load range 10 ply they’re a lot heavier than factory. That’s what killed my mpg

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I’m aware. I got 18 hand calculated average and 20 hand calculated highway non stop at 70 mph before the AT tires. Now I’m lucky to see over 14.5 hand calculated average

Procomp AT sports factory size e load range 10 ply they’re a lot heavier than factory. That’s what killed my mpg

I’d personally never go to a E rated tire again if I could help it. Too bad they don’t make more C rated tires in 20 inch line the raptors KO2. E is just overkill and make it ride super stiff in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

You forgot about the fun factor with the 3:92.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

Its definitely the tires

I went from a stock 49LBS tire to a 72LBS tire and it killed my milage. And im going to a 81 lbs tire after this one possibly.

It is what it is. And taller gears HELP gas milage once you start going oversized tires (or just heavier).

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi

The reason I wish I went with the 8 speed xsmn and 3.92 gears is I would've already lifted the truck and run 35"-37" tires .[emoji16]
Sorry should've mentioned that earlier [emoji1360]