Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice design, poor execution. I don't know about any other modern engine - last 20 years, or so - where you have to worry about engine failure before the 100K miles mark.
Porsche with ims bearing, I'm sure at least a few BMW engines.

That makes FCA on par with the Germans! :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
I would never buy a hemi again. I don't know what options are out there, it may be buy a 1990's windsor and rebuild it.

I count myself as a lucky one, 3 Hemi trucks and zero issues, ran the first two apx 180,000
And the 2012 has 118,000.
I probably just jinxed myself. Lol

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question for anyone in forum especially Corey, anyway to fix a stuck caliper pisten in the brakes? It's been hung, took me a while to diagnose, long story. I was messing with it and got it better by doing a couple 4 corner pulls, but it's still hanging. Brake bleed entire system? It was likely contamination that when I compressed piston to get off rotor made it's way back up, someone in forum pointed out it is better to bleed brakes before compresing piston, but too late. I'm not sure that will help, but it might? Worse case I will have new fluid. Ideas?

You would have to take it completely apart, smooth the bore out, replace the square gasket, etc etc. Not worth it IMO...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You would have to take it completely apart, smooth the bore out, replace the square gasket, etc etc. Not worth it IMO...

Yeah thanks, rebuilts aren't that bad, gonna mess with it today, if it still is hung I will just cough up 67 bucks. Nice most places don't need cores anymore. So I can play doctor on the core, see what I can learn anyhow.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Nice design, poor execution. I don't know about any other modern engine - last 20 years, or so - where you have to worry about engine failure before the 100K miles mark.

That's what I feel 100%, great design for sure, but they sure ****** something up and didn't care an ounce to fix it. There is nothing about that great hemispherical design that created this, it was the assholes at fca not caring about the pieces that go into that great design. Sorry, I will only fall for that once when I know there are a bunch of bullet prood trucks out there from the 90's and earlier. I'm simple, I don't need all that fandagled stuff anyhow. I'm also in CA, trucks out here just do not rust.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah thanks, rebuilts aren't that bad, gonna mess with it today, if it still is hung I will just cough up 67 bucks. Nice most places don't need cores anymore. So I can play doctor on the core, see what I can learn anyhow.

67$ for a new caliper ?

Id jump on that.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thats a good deal.

Time is also valuable. And you would spend a good amount of time re-building. And IMO you should do the other side at the same time. Do both rear breaks.

Thats good part of a day.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
yeah, I already spent more time and energy on this brake job then just paying someone to do it. Cut my losses, I still have to tune the hemi and do those brakes as well.

I already threw a wheel bearing at the right that was perfectly fine, there is only 45k miles on that vehicle, I'm not fixing something that isn't broke, with my luck I will brakes something else fixing that. Well, now I have a spare wheel bearing, so if the right or left rear goes out, I have it in stock, lol.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive never rebuilt a caliper. Honestly never even considered it once I found out how cheap it is for a reman set. And then when I bought my first reman set and they even had the factory markings, I figured I would never ever rebuild a caliper.

The problem you might run into is that the remans get remanned so many times, eventually things are looser than they should be and/or dont last as long. Bores are too big, etc.

Ive learned it enough that if I ever need to replace factory calipers on my vehicles, Im going to buy a reman set but just never turn in my cores. Then maybe one day Ill rebuild my factory set just to have them as spares.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I contacted Dave at Redline a while ago and he suggested that i NOT put shock proof in my diff. Even if i mixed it.

He would not elaborate much beyond “it is not designed for long intervals ”

I was told the same thing. I wanted to try it since my 9.25 was not lasting very well with 4.56 gears.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Valvoline. It may be silly reason to be completely sold on Valvoline. I had an 85 Dodge truck with a 318. Going to my cousins wedding down in Albany, Ky. Somewhere between here(Indianapolis) and there. Blew an oil pan gasket. My cousin's Oldsmobile was broke down a few miles away from his house on a two lane road, had to use a ditch to make a u turn after we went past it. Pulled his Oldsmobile home. Woke up the next morning checked the engine oil level, it was missing 4 of the 5 quarts. Drove the truck for a few years afterwards. I used Valvoline MaxLife in it. My current truck is Valvoline SynPower. I still have a free oil change at the dealership, but I refuse to use Quaker State/Pennzoil. Far as oil goes, Mobil 1 is or used to be the preferred oil by a lot of performance engine builders.

Quaker State and Pennzoil were terrible I hated them too. Then Shell bought them and now they are some of the best oils on the shelf. Probably been this way for 15 plus years now. I had to turn in my Valvoline for the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Only thing I would change is I'd put PYB 5W-30 in at #4 position [emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There is no PUP 5W-30 on the list! WTH

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Qsud 5w30 is preferred over Pup 5w30?

Here the qsud can be had for a few bucks less than pup.

No way. But I do like QSUD to save a little dough.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no PUP 5W-30 on the list! WTH

For some reason PUP 5W-30 only has approximately 60 ppm molybdenum ?
The 0W-40 PUP has approximately 230 ppm of molybdenum ....this is why PUP 5W-30 doesn't make my list ,[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500