Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good lord I posted this in the wrong place[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Hope Ron misses this one[emoji23]

Carry on[emoji2957]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Idiot[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Bro, I quoted Dexter, then you quoted me talking about Dexter, and I responded about* Dexter. He spams that comment literally any time anyone asks about running X oil or a UOA. Come to think of it, I think he is the one @Burla blocked because of posting stupid (spam) comments...

Edit*
OK, Point noted, Sorry.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
0W40 was not successful in my truck regardless of the brand even redline. A simple jump to redline 5w40 fixed it.

I may just try RL 5w40 next oci, was concerned about warranty,but.....
I NEED SOME PEACE AND QUIET.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I may just try RL 5w40 next oci, was concerned about warranty,but.....
I NEED SOME PEACE AND QUIET.

Give it time and she will quiet down with this oil.

Remember if you’re running a larger filter to an extra oil

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Give it time and she will quiet down with this oil.

Remember if you’re running a larger filter to an extra oil

I'm using RP 1048. I cut open the last 3, no metal or anything sticking to a magnet. Those suckers are well built. If I go large how much more oil? I always keep the dipstick at or slightly above the line.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I'm using RP 1048. I cut open the last 3, no metal or anything sticking to a magnet. Those suckers are well built. If I go large how much more oil? I always keep the dipstick at or slightly above the line.

About 1/2 quart extra (no less) is good for the large filter.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So hows everyone doing ? I dont get on here to much as I have working on getting my Nova up and running.
Just picked up 5 quarts of Penzoil and have a RP filter coming for it , After I get a few thousand miles on it I am going to switch it over to RL as well.

Still running RL in my Ram and still very quiet at 32k but the oil temps sure runs warm , keeps any moisture burnt off anyway..lol
Does anyone think going to 5w20 would lower the oil temps ? I have seen in the high 240s in the summer.
I dont know maybe I should not worry about it

None Ram related pic..lol

View attachment 192389

View attachment 192390

View attachment 192391
Long time no see Sir . Too Long [emoji106]
Car looks great !

I think it's awesome that your giving the car to your daughter , well kinda giving it to her [emoji23] still Daddies car right [emoji106][emoji106]

A big NO on dropping to 20wt imo.

Stick with the 5W-30 Redline.
Your towing oil temps are on target imo[emoji106]
Redline 5W-30 has fantastic thermal stability and is still very stable above 275° from what I've read .

I've had my Redline 5W-30 oil in the high 250s many times and once above 260° in the summer while towing 7k up into the mountains and my UOA showed near Zero breakdown in viscosity ,not to mention Great wear #s at the same time .

I'd bet your non towing temps are between 210-220° ? If so again if so on target imo .
Nice to see you back around my friend , looking forward to more pictures and videos of your "daughters" car [emoji16]

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Burla or anyone of course, i have a curious question. I know there are many many , disagreements on many different topics on here, but i was thinking about one in particular.

Its going it sound like an MDS question, but more of an oil question. I'm wondering the people having same truck/year/engine with the complaint of "feeling" the MDS kick in, (that would be me also), vs the ones that swear they don't. I'm excluding if the newer trucks may have fixed the issue. I'm wondering instead of there being just people bickering back and forth about it, are they actually all correct. In other words there are trucks/people feeling it and others actually are not. Heres the question.

Is the oil type, more so the WEIGHT, the difference? Don't know if this warrants a poll, but maybe just some chiming in. Heres why i may think this. I swear when i bought my truck, i hardly noticed the MDS, and DEFINITELY didn't have the lag when wanting it to cut off. So is the thicker oil delaying, for milliseconds the kick out, not enough to hurt anything, not enough to ever cause a CEL. Just enough to notice.
Mine is extremely noticeable when it kicks out MDS. It's like a transmission downshift almost. I've had mine turned off for awhile now and it's so much more responsive. The type and weight of oil did have some affect on how smooth it went into MDS but nothing has changed how it comes out of MDS.

Also as a side note, I've not noticed much of a difference in MPG with MDS off, MAYBE .5MPG on the highway. I think this is because the injector pulsewidth doubles for the 4 active cylinders while the 4 MDS cylinders are inactive. I made a thread a couple years ago illustrating that:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/do...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Not really sure how that's supposed to save fuel if the 4 active cylinders dump double the fuel in.

JMO, I think MDS is a marketing gimmick and a solution for the EPA to get the CAFE up a bit.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Mine is extremely noticeable when it kicks out MDS. It's like a transmission downshift almost. I've had mine turned off for awhile now and it's so much more responsive. The type and weight of oil did have some affect on how smooth it went into MDS but nothing has changed how it comes out of MDS.

Also as a side note, I've not noticed much of a difference in MPG with MDS off, MAYBE .5MPG on the highway. I think this is because the injector pulsewidth doubles for the 4 active cylinders while the 4 MDS cylinders are inactive. I made a thread a couple years ago illustrating that:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/do...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Not really sure how that's supposed to save fuel if the 4 active cylinders dump double the fuel in.

JMO, I think MDS is a marketing gimmick and a solution for the EPA to get the CAFE up a bit.

EXACTLY!!!

Its all politics! And ALL *********.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
RP 20-820 oil filter fit 6.4?

Yup yup,

PLENTY of room.

Clean the meating surface that the oil filter ring contacts when switching to the larger filter. The OD of the ring is ever so slightly larger.

Last edited:

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
@Burla or anyone of course, i have a curious question. I know there are many many , disagreements on many different topics on here, but i was thinking about one in particular.

Its going it sound like an MDS question, but more of an oil question. I'm wondering the people having same truck/year/engine with the complaint of "feeling" the MDS kick in, (that would be me also), vs the ones that swear they don't. I'm excluding if the newer trucks may have fixed the issue. I'm wondering instead of there being just people bickering back and forth about it, are they actually all correct. In other words there are trucks/people feeling it and others actually are not. Heres the question.

Is the oil type, more so the WEIGHT, the difference? Don't know if this warrants a poll, but maybe just some chiming in. Heres why i may think this. I swear when i bought my truck, i hardly noticed the MDS, and DEFINITELY didn't have the lag when wanting it to cut off. So is the thicker oil delaying, for milliseconds the kick out, not enough to hurt anything, not enough to ever cause a CEL. Just enough to notice.

Going from a lean running 8 cylinder to a rich running 4 cylinder while the other 4 are doing compression strokes without detonation is a HUGE! change in power output.

Oil will not make a noticeable difference in the “feeling” of MDS coming on and off IMO. If so it will be very little.

The simple fact that you have extreme power surges instantly your going to feel it and the trans and driveline will absorb the abuse from it.

Its a STUPID design.

And on the same note where Corey mentioned how you get double the fuel pressure in the active 4 cylinders..... there’s no way in heck the EPA does not know about it. They’re simply collecting their check and they’ll do nothing about it. All about money.

Last edited:

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going from a lean running 8 cylinder to a rich running 4 cylinder while the other 4 are doing compression strokes without detonation is a HUGE! change in power output.

Oil will not make a noticeable difference in the “feeling” of MDS coming on and off IMO. If so it will be very little.

The simple fact that you have extreme power surges instantaneously your going to feel it and the trans and driveline will absorb the abuse from it.

Its a STUPID design.

And on the same note where Corey mentioned how you get double the fuel pressure in the active 4 cylinders..... there’s no way in heck the EPA does not know about it. They’re simply collecting their check and they’ll do nothing about it. All about money.

They have to show they are playing the game. Yep.

No what i meant by feeling. Was the theory that rhicker oil maybe was delaying the pin in the lifters unlocking. In other words signal from pcm is sent but delay was thickess of oil.

But your right they know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Long time no see Sir . Too Long [emoji106]
Car looks great !

I think it's awesome that your giving the car to your daughter , well kinda giving it to her [emoji23] still Daddies car right [emoji106][emoji106]

A big NO on dropping to 20wt imo.

Stick with the 5W-30 Redline.
Your towing oil temps are on target imo[emoji106]
Redline 5W-30 has fantastic thermal stability and is still very stable above 275° from what I've read .

I've had my Redline 5W-30 oil in the high 250s many times and once above 260° in the summer while towing 7k up into the mountains and my UOA showed near Zero breakdown in viscosity ,not to mention Great wear #s at the same time .

I'd bet your non towing temps are between 210-220° ? If so again if so on target imo .
Nice to see you back around my friend , looking forward to more pictures and videos of your "daughters" car [emoji16]

Thanks for the info it does make me feel better that others have the same type of temps. Will just keep motoring on with what I am using. :)

I was able to set the motor in place last night and bolt up the transmission , still have a ways to go and waiting on my parts to come in.

20200122_164612.jpg