Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
So another Wisconsin winter has past and no cells or anything else stupid happened running Redline 0w-30 in either of our Hemis (Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7). The Jeep will be done soon and that will be the last of my redline stash. After that oil change it will be the new SP version of Redline 0w-30 (have to try it eventually) and hopefully it’ll be the same quiet and smooth Hemis we have now. Time will tell right…

On a side note we do run in EVERY tank Amsoils upper cylinder lube which seems to helps quiet down injector noise. IMO we have very quiet hemis and aren’t embarrassed by any weird sounds I hear from other vehicles (hemis or not).

This is just my oil strategy and our money and it’s been working for us so far. Thanks

1DDC2DB9-0D7E-4331-8DAB-B6E7DEEB7E5E.jpeg

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
yes you did a thing right there... lol

5w30- More specifically what hemmiman said, anything but 0w40.

nice truck!

Thanks, I got lucky and found this as it came off the truck, there are no trucks on lots around here, and they had a line behind me wanting it.

So no 5/40 redline ? I have around 2,000 miles before I will change it since it’s still under 90 miles. Lol
Same oil filter as the 5.7s ?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just so we understand why Redline did this, look up low saps- from machinelube.

So molybdenum by itself is not an ash issue, perhaps neither is zinc, however in engine oils they add phos to zinc = zddp, and they add sulfur to moly = moDTC, and those additives do or "can" add ash. It is no issue to hemi's, but "can" cause issue with di turbos and diesel particulate filters. I hope some day redline will just have specific lines for this, been calling for that 7 plus years, but it looks like they have targeted weights to be low saps friendly, and 0w30 is one of them.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5w40 would be a good option as well, it is just that 5w30 is a replacement and upgrade from 0w40 the manu wants you to run. Since 5w30 doesnt have the rules lowering the additives as otc and it has those base oils, it will be thicker then 0w40 srt oil in most of the interval. 5w40 is worth considering, just know it has some serious lacking at cold start protection, and listen to the engine and if itsnt knocking or slapping in the cold you may opt for that 5w40.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you think about 0w30, who is using it and recommending it, you can see why redline set that weight aside for the reformulation. Redline has a huge following amoungst the mercedes and bmw crowd, and as a bonus they pick up the latest gm dexos spec. Look at link and see what low saps c2 and c3, and you see why redline did what they did. IMO we are lucky they left 5w30 alone, considering the group they targeted with 0w30.

I doubt redline had any unsderstanding about 0w30 redline and it's place in hemi tick, and even if they did you see how important these considerations are in the high performance euro cars. Prior to the reformulation of redline's 0w30, it was not a great option for this large group both di gas plus light and medium duty diesels. It makes some of us mad, but it is a very smart move in the grand scheme of things. And since they still have pao/ester base oils we will soon see if that will still keep hemi's quiet. Someone please do a uoa 0w30 in a hemi tick engine at some point, this would be super helpful. C2 and C3 considerations...

LowSAPs_C2-1_500w.jpg

LowSAPs_C3-500w.jpg

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Thanks, I got lucky and found this as it came off the truck, there are no trucks on lots around here, and they had a line behind me wanting it.

So no 5/40 redline ? I have around 2,000 miles before I will change it since it’s still under 90 miles. Lol
Same oil filter as the 5.7s ?
5W40 worked great in my 6.4.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

So now guys with low saps 5w30 specs have 0w30 reldine as an option, and we know how much more stout 0w30 redline is against the competitions 5w30.

LOW SAPS C2

C2 oil is often specified for French cars. It is now becoming the specification of choice for other car manufacturers. C2 oil can have a 0W-30 or a 5W-30 viscosity.

LOW SAPS C3

C3 oil is usually associated with the German car marques: BMW, Mercedes Benz, and ***. C3 oil can have a 5W-30, 5W-40 or 0W-30 viscosity. In this example, clever oil technology has allowed the inclusion of the C2 performance level.

You can see what and why redline made this move.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wait - why is low SAPS matter to spark ignition engines? They've used pretty much the same 3 way passive catalyst since its invention in 1975, yes? Not easily 'poisoned' by saps, except for tetraethyl lead additive, which was removed from all gasolines at the same time.

I understood lows SAPS was a big deal for diesels because the EPA TIER IV final exhaust emissions limits required (1) Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (passive) (2) Particulate Filter (active regeneration) (3) Selective Catalytic Reduction (active with urea injection).
The SAPS additives poison the SCR catalyst.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah for sure, if you notice my "" you would see what I was saying, but thanks for the more scientific point.

More to the point, these applications embrace 0w30, and not many other applications do, so redline stuck 0w30 in their low saps friendly formula and left the others alone.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah for sure, if you notice my "" you would see what I was saying, but thanks for the more scientific point.

More to the point, these applications embrace 0w30, and not many other applications do, so redline stuck 0w30 in their low saps friendly formula and left the others alone.

Ah......apologies for anality. Decades of working with technical people will do that to a guy.

JimK59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2021 1500 classic 5.7 Warlock, 5000 miles just came up, changed oil with Castrol Edge and a Mobil One filter. Dash indicator said oil had 12% life left.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Been stocking up on 5w30. Noticed that 0w30 is out of stock on the RL website, so I'm guessing they're sold out of the old formula and now any future purchase will be the new formula? In any event, found some 0w30 for sale on Walmart website ($100 for 2 gallons), and snatched it up for next winter...I'm hoping it's the good ol' stuff that I've been using the past few winters!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
accidents dont get worse then this, ram 2500 a bunch of people dead, why would a 38 year old have a 13 year old driving? we will never know they are both amoung the dead. But the weird this that was the "cause" of the wreck, who knows maybe a more experinced driver could have prevented this, dunno. But the cause was a failed spare? like wth?

I see another post, it was just a blow out. Several of the young people killed = no seat belt. As someone who survived a head on, seat belts do save lives.

The kid could have panicked, I have had blowouts as well. Had a blow out and rolled, but that was a back tire, nothing you can do with back tire blow outs. Usually if you get a blow out on the front, if you don't hit the brakes you can safely slow it down. My bet, it blew kid hit the brakes not understanding the proper technique on front blow out, rest is sad news.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
nice to watch psi lesson 5 minute mark. Why it is desirable to gain psi with a pump and not oil weight.

Is this not for pre 2009 rams?

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
nice to watch psi lesson 5 minute mark. Why it is desirable to gain psi with a pump and not oil weight.

Is this not for pre 2009 rams?
The engine was a pre 09 but i think it will still work in a pre 09 ram. Hellcat pump seems far to much work for a pre 09 compared to the melling high volume but the hellcat pump is a direct fit on an 09-current engine

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
you guys think maybe mds is the main cause in the exhaust bolt issue? having some cylinders hot and some cold, and cooling rates are different when you turn the truck off and it is cold outside?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tesla had 2 of the top 5 selling vehicles in CA this last year, but it has revealed an issue. It takes 1/2 hour to an hour to charge a tesla at the fastest super charger stations. You think you spend a long time in the costco gas lines, imagine it being a tesla gas line. They do now have home chargers that can take up to 40 hours to charge. I hope they fix this, our local area has smart charges for electric vehicles so when you are shopping you charge your car, the only problem is tesla doesnt use those. It would be nice to have one type f charging system as well? Are you ready to go back to horse and buggy yet?

OIP.jpg