Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Ram can't be that stupid
Yes, they can.

I have not seen evidence that they are closed at high temps, just speculation.
How many DS trucks equipped with the HEMI and 8HP70 have you driven? I have seen plenty of evidence of cooking engines, both with the EcoDiesel and HEMI.

I was going to get my mechanic to put in an oil cooler but apparently all 5th gens already come with heavy duty cooling as standard.
You have an oil heat exchanger installed from the factory, not a cooler. The DT trucks are built and programmed differently. RAM never bothered to provide updates to correct the problem in DS trucks. I know, as I had a Tech Authority subscription, so I painstakingly checked every service bulletin and recall.

We've been through this extensively
I can't wait to do it all over again. Maybe the @Wild one wants to join in.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have read all the threads on this and I think Ram can be that stupid. I feel they do stay closed at speed for that ever popular (if not imagined) fuel mileage savings. I see that the shutters do not cover the bottom 1/3 or less of the shutter assembly so the electric fan can kick in and pull more air when the shutters are closed. I would rather have more air flow than that provides. Given that people have seen they are not on many of the newer trucks or any of the older ones leads me to believe that they are just not required. Possibly an experiment that they are moving away from. I intend to keep the stock thermostat because we get real winter here. If I have issues next winter I will put the shutters back in but I don't think that will happen.
The 4th Gen Warlocks don't have the shutters Shaun. It makes you wonder why they're still employed on the other 4th Gen trim levels

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Unfortunately you're the one who's getting gimself into trouble when others try to help help you. You've been nothing but nasty to the @Wild one, while he tried to genuinely help you.
I gave up dealing with him,my head was starting to get sore from beating it against a brickwall,lol

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Unfortunately, you're the one who's getting himself into trouble when others try to help you. You've been nothing but nasty to the @Wild one, while he tried to genuinely help you.
lol, if you've been here long enough you know that wild one is more than capable of speaking up for himself and will dish it out like candy. You're adding nothing but drama at this point. Just move on.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
lol, if you've been here long enough you know that wild one is more than capable of speaking up for himself and will dish it out like candy. You're adding nothing but drama at this point. Just move on.
I also get tired of beating my head against a wall. You've caused your fair share of head aches,lol;)

Rod Knock

Reaction score
That's why you keep replying to me despite your promise that you blocked me. One tires of hoping.
Apparently you bruise easily ;)

Passive-aggressive behaviors are those that involve acting indirectly aggressive rather than directly aggressive. Passive-aggressive people regularly exhibit resistance to requests or demands from family and other individuals often by procrastinating, expressing sullenness, or acting stubborn. If you treat us here the way you do, I'd hate to see how you treat people in real life.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will put my tinfoil hat on and say that they're still using them to shorten the engine's life. It has nothing to do with emissions or efficiency.
I think its the trifecta for fca. Higher temps lower emissions and thinner oil leading to better fuel economy. Hot engine thin oil cam and lifter fails dealer offers great price for a trade on a new truck with the same failure

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Who would like a 5W-30 that flows at crazy low temperatures (around -60C), can be run year-round, and has so much Moly that you don't even need working rollers at the end of your lifters, just working lifters.

It's streable, emissions friendly, and can be run for up 10K miles.

Here it is:

1653870875946.png

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
i use Castrol and a 1/4 of a bottle of LUCAS oil additive ! reason is use to drive big truck and used it in that never a lick of trouble. put it in my son's dodge neon he is not mechanically inclined ran it out of oil told me one night the little genie lamp like light was on ! i went checked oil and found it was empty ! so i thought damage was done so i drove it to work never made a sound ! drained the oil like a drop changed filter put oil and lucas back in it and drove it for another 3yrs never smoked or made a sound and run like a champ !! that sold me on the stuff ! thats what i do all the time now on evey engine i own ! 1653871529570.png

Rod Knock

Reaction score
i use Castrol and a 1/4 of a bottle of LUCAS oil additive !
A friend of mine blew two turbos within 300K miles in his Cummins N14 because he was using two to four gallons of Lucas per oil change (14-gallon sump). Took a lot of convincing to get him to give up that garbage when he got his third turbo.

If you can explain what Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer does exactly, I'm willing to keep an open mind and try it.

Good luck!

Last edited: