Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I was thinking the same thing, GL-4 is hard to find locally it's mainly a special order product. My 4Runner is an automatic, transfer case is manual engagement. One big down side to the Toyota Transfer Case LF fluid is that it's $85 per liter.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline makes a ton of gl4's just for that, listen to dave, way cheaper then that. All their "gear" fluid page is gl5, but their gl4 specialty page has as many offerings. right around 20 bucks a qrt, im sure it takes less then 2 quarts? Id ask dave if he recomends gl4 or gl4ns for that, I dont know the answer he will.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Defiantly no brass or copper in the gears, manual calls for GL-5 for both front and rear diffs but no GL rating on the Transfer case fluid.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Defiantly no brass or copper in the gears, manual calls for GL-5 for both front and rear diffs but no GL rating on the Transfer case fluid.
It does say LF in toyo owners manual for t case fluid, which under redline is MT-LV

So if it says LF, doesnt that mean it will be gl4? crazy. Do they have a LF gl5? this I do not know, if so there ya go.

Your Toyota vehicle is filled with “Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear oil LF” at the factory. Use Toyota approved “Toyota Genuine Transfer Gear oil LF” or an equivalent of matching quality to satisfy the above specification. Please contact your Toyota dealer for further details

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Toyota and Lexus LF Fluid Unique to a few 2010+ SUVs (4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, GX460, LX570) is the 75w synthetic LF transfer case fluid. Unfortunately the fluid is only made by Toyota for these applications and is considerably more expensive than the 75w85 synthetic LT/LX.

thats all I got...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This additive makes me feel better(archoil). I don’t own a diesel anymore but it’s been going in the oil for at least 6 years Anyone tried it?View attachment 498442
I have a bottle of that sitting on a shelf that I've been debating on using for years now lol

I know it works really well in the Powerstroke Diesels with the HEUI injectors so it definitely works in certain applications

Rod Knock

Reaction score
OK guys, I have something interesting I'd like to discus! This is in reference to the Transfer Case fluid in the Toyota 4runner, there is a lot of discussion on the Toyota recommended fluid that is a 75w. Some say it is a GL-4 and some say it is a GL-5; most of us are running a 75w90 GL-5. Dave at redline said that Toyota is using a GL-4 since 2010. I found a VOA of the Toyota 75w online, and I provided the VOA on the Amsoil 75w140; I have never seen such an interesting additive package on a gear/transfer oil like the Toyota fluid, its loaded. I also reached out to Amsoil tech line and they were pathetic, no help at all. The Toyota fluid looks to be a GL-5 with 2298ppm Phosphorus but I've gotten conflicting information. The Toyota owners manual has "NO" GL-? rating for the transfer case fluid!
My 4Runner is closing in on 60k and I'm planning to service both diffs and the transfer case, Front and rear diffs will get Redline 75w90 GL-5 but I'm thinking of switching the transfer case fluid from a 75w90 back to the Toyota 75w. Wanted to get your opinions.
View attachment 498523
The fluid you want for that transfer case is Red Line MT-LV. Ravenol also makes a 75W fluid for that transfer case, but the Red Line is easy to get from Elite Race Fab, Amazon, etc.

DO NOT USE GL5 GEAR OIL IN THE TRANSFER CASE!!! - I can't stress this enough.

You won't be able to identify by the additive package if it's a GL4 or GL5 fluid. Don't try to play chemist with a $30 VOA, you will loose. People in the business call that an Elemental Analasys for good reason. Those elemebts you see on there can be part of a friction modifying compound or anti-wear package. 99% of the people have no clue what Esters look or smell like, their toxicity level, what color raw additive packages are, how dense they are, or why Group III base oils are better than PAO for most use cases. If you're not a formulator or chemist, don't play Russian Roulete with your vehicle.

The transfer case fluid in your Toyota is a Type F automatic transmission fluid with a more robust additive package but with a Low Viscosity. You could also use Mobil Fluid LT, but it will be a hair thicker.

Red Line 75W-90NS is a GL4 type gear oil, but I wouldn't use that in a transfer case as it lacks the correct additive package.

Just use Red Line MT-LV if you want something safe and reliable. Ask David Granquest at Red Line, he will confirm.

AMSOIL is mostly a marketing company that makes some weird and stupid recomendations. They don't have anything in their lineup that would work in your transfer case.

I hope this bit of info helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Defiantly Brass/Copper synchronizers in the transfer case; video is of a 2017 Tacoma TC but they share the same TC with the 4runner. Halfway through the video you'll see the synchronizers. I'm defiantly draining out the GL-5 75w90 that I got in it right now; according to the Redline website it's the Sulphur in GL-5 fluids that cause damage to brass/copper components. Dave was right from the get-go!
Just put my order in with Redline, 2 quarts of MT-LV 75w GL-4 for the TC, and 5 quarts of 75W90 GL-5 for the diffs.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Never heard of a transfer case spec'ing GL-5. Almost always a synchro in there with non-ferrous metal, which GL-5 EP additives will chew up quickly. Borg Warner just uses ATF for their old-time chain drive cases. GL-4 is spec'd for most manual transmissions.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't know why those boys use gl-5 in the t case either, I thought most people ran atf of whatever type. I think maybe the fact a manu specs gl-4 is the nature of the issue, that just confuses people because I doubt you will find this on the walmart shelf. I believe if toyo just kept atf in the t case there would be nothing to think about. However, there must be a reason why they spec'd gl4 "LF" for their transfer cases, maybe their was a damage stream and the numbers dictated for more protection. Good news, you will likely get a much better fluid from redline then toyota and at 1/4 of the cost because redline specializes in the gl4 fluids. Actually never spent anytime thinking about this one, so glad hammer brought it up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Never heard of a transfer case spec'ing GL-5. Almost always a synchro in there with non-ferrous metal, which GL-5 EP additives will chew up quickly. Borg Warner just uses ATF for their old-time chain drive cases. GL-4 is spec'd for most manual transmissions.
Back in the day,there were some gearboxes that called for a straight grade 50 weight mineral oil (engine oil),wonder where it would compare in todays market for some of the oddball lubes used now.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Back in the day,there were some gearboxes that called for a straight grade 50 weight mineral oil (engine oil),wonder where it would compare in todays market for some of the oddball lubes used now.

Most gear fluids "90" weights is about 40 weight, so there ya go. 75w140 redline is visc 27, so it looks like that is thicker then 60 weight. Difference being that they use modifiers for the cold but at operating temps that 50 weight is actually thinner then what we run now.

205.6<9.3
309.3<12.5
4012.5<16.3
5016.3<21.9
6021.9<26.1

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I think Toyota is a good company and have built a good rep in the US, but on this TC fluid issue I think they can do better. No GL-? recommendation in the owners manual; would be nice if they added GL-4 to make it clear to their consumers.
Interestingly there's a guy on YouTube called the Care Care Nut that is a Toyota Master Tech, been working on toyo for over 20+ years, and he said that dealerships ALL put 75w90 GL-5 in the diffs and TC unless it warranty work; warranty work being the only time the toyo fluid is used. Whatever bulk 75w90 GL-5 they have or a quick run to the parts store is standard operating procedure.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

I remember some of those old Eaton Fuller syncromesh big truck transmissions in my Mobil Oil days - 16 speeds! (maybe Burla is old enough to have driven one of these gems) Had to park those in a garage up here in the northland, or they wouldn't move in the winter!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I think Toyota is a good company and have built a good rep in the US, but on this TC fluid issue I think they can do better. No GL-? recommendation in the owners manual; would be nice if they added GL-4 to make it clear to their consumers.
Interestingly there's a guy on YouTube called the Care Care Nut that is a Toyota Master Tech, been working on toyo for over 20+ years, and he said that dealerships ALL put 75w90 GL-5 in the diffs and TC unless it warranty work; warranty work being the only time the toyo fluid is used. Whatever bulk 75w90 GL-5 they have or a quick run to the parts store is standard operating procedure.

Japanese are pretty internal, as are the Germans. They have their own specs, and much more based on ISO instead of SAE. Heck, USA won't even adopt the metric system accepted everywhere else! (Probably because the French invented it?)

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Most gear fluids "90" weights is about 40 weight, so there ya go. 75w140 redline is visc 27, so it looks like that is thicker then 60 weight. Difference being that they use modifiers for the cold but at operating temps that 50 weight is actually thinner then what we run now.

205.6<9.3
309.3<12.5
4012.5<16.3
5016.3<21.9
6021.9<26.1

yeah - the difference was in pour point and borderline pumpability temperature. All that wax in mineral made jello for lubricant below zero.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I like toyota, I like old tech, my 2010 rav 4 was something you could have bought in the 90's, not overly complicated. A sleeper is Nissan, they also take a long time before embracing the craziness you see with all the american makes and honda. Sadly nobody really makes a good truck anymore, so you end up picking the best of the 3 evils, but for suv's and sedans you can't go wrong with Toyota or nissan. Now that is probably changing, I don't follow it, but depending on the application do some research, those old tech toyotas and nissans are the best thing going not considering trucks. For a small truck pre last gen nissans are just dang near bullet proof. The best truck company ever couldn't even field a small truck, lol? But they can't compete with the big 3 in real trucks, but they could have? For some reason decided not to. Buy a new di honda, chances are you will be replacing the transmission at least once.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fluid you want for that transfer case is Red Line MT-LV. Ravenol also makes a 75W fluid for that transfer case, but the Red Line is easy to get from Elite Race Fab, Amazon, etc.

DO NOT USE GL5 GEAR OIL IN THE TRANSFER CASE!!! - I can't stress this enough.

You won't be able to identify by the additive package if it's a GL4 or GL5 fluid. Don't try to play chemist with a $30 VOA, you will loose. People in the business call that an Elemental Analasys for good reason. Those elemebts you see on there can be part of a friction modifying compound or anti-wear package. 99% of the people have no clue what Esters look or smell like, their toxicity level, what color raw additive packages are, how dense they are, or why Group III base oils are better than PAO for most use cases. If you're not a formulator or chemist, don't play Russian Roulete with your vehicle.

The transfer case fluid in your Toyota is a Type F automatic transmission fluid with a more robust additive package but with a Low Viscosity. You could also use Mobil Fluid LT, but it will be a hair thicker.

Red Line 75W-90NS is a GL4 type gear oil, but I wouldn't use that in a transfer case as it lacks the correct additive package.

Just use Red Line MT-LV if you want something safe and reliable. Ask David Granquest at Red Line, he will confirm.

AMSOIL is mostly a marketing company that makes some weird and stupid recomendations. They don't have anything in their lineup that would work in your transfer case.

I hope this bit of info helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca