Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh man, that is huge. They wont even allow that here, i tried for a second home, they wont allow a separate service or even more amps unless it is a business zone. The best you can do is get a board with 10 extra amps, like thanks for nothing? guess I need to do more research.
I’m now retired after 40 years as a 134 JW It’s comparable to installing a 50 amp electric oven large AC or welder on a questionable 100 amp service and panel. A decent 200 a service will handle the charger but yearly maintenance is required This is my mess I did after moving to Wis.I ripped out everything while we waited 2 yrs to sell our Illinois house image.jpg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I’m now retired after 40 years as a 134 JW It’s comparable to installing a 50 amp electric oven large AC or welder on a questionable 100 amp service and panel. A decent 200 a service will handle the charger but yearly maintenance is required This is my mess I did after moving to Wis.I ripped out everything while we waited 2 yrs to sell our Illinois house View attachment 498382

Does the fast charger (Stage 2) use 240V or 120V?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I’m now retired after 40 years as a 134 JW It’s comparable to installing a 50 amp electric oven large AC or welder on a questionable 100 amp service and panel. A decent 200 a service will handle the charger but yearly maintenance is required This is my mess I did after moving to Wis.I ripped out everything while we waited 2 yrs to sell our Illinois house View attachment 498382
unfortunately for me I live on an all electric property, so everything is on the 200 service, out buildings, pool, hot tub, water heater, heat pump, house, cook tops, sub panel, etc. I have been told I need more, but can't get it. The cost would be enormous, I would have to switch what I can to gas to free up 70 amps or so. It is really hard to swallow because I went solar on my last home paid cash, now that money is gone. At some point, the juice aint worth the squeeze. I tried, now the lady that bought my old home is living the dream. We just ran out of starch for new projects to be honest.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
unfortunately for me I live on an all electric property, so everything is on the 200 service, out buildings, pool, hot tub, water heater, heat pump, house, cook tops, sub panel, etc. I have been told I need more, but can't get it. The cost would be enormous, I would have to switch what I can to gas to free up 70 amps or so. It is really hard to swallow because I went solar on my last home paid cash, now that money is gone. At some point, the juice aint worth the squeeze. I tried, now the lady that bought my old home is living the dream. We just ran out of starch for new projects to be honest.
Do you know how much your solar panels produce?

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is exactly the problem we have here. The electric grid is so antiquated it can barely keep up with the demand in the summer as is. You go and add a bunch of fast chargers to people's houses plus public ones and you have a recipe for an extended blackout. I can see EVs being practical in the city and suburbs. But in rural America they're just not practical as of 2022.

When they come out with an EV pickup that can tow more and has more range while towing than a diesel truck, I'll consider it. Until then, EVs just don't fit my needs. And it seems I'm not alone.

Yep, I can just imagine 1000's of the same situation happening across the country.

However, these fanatics won't stop until we are like Argentina. Their President announced a Climate Emergency in that country, even though they produced less than 1% of the global emmissions. The country is now on the brink of collapse with 60% inflation, power and food shortages along with other commodities nearly impossible to obtain. It's a chitshow, but our government thinks they can do better. That's quite scarry.

I don't have anything against EV's, or the other pretty words that go along with this fiasco. But get things in order before the big push.

Last edited:

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it was natural gas it would be great but the propane goes fast,just a few items like a large on demand hot water or genny draw over 200k each.With smart switching and soft start capacitors a 200 amp is usually sufficient.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, I can just imagine 1000's of the same situation happening across the country.

However, these fanatics won't stop until we are like Argentina. Their President announced a Climate Emergency in that country, even though they produced less than 1% of the global emmissions. The country is now on the brink of collapse with 60% inflation, power and food shortages along with other commodities nearly impossible to obtain. It's a chitshow, but our elitist leaders think they can do better. That's quite scarry.

I don't have anything against EV's, or the other pretty words that go along with this fiasco. But get things in order before the big push.
I still tell everyone even though I don’t want the business anymore to get a genny and a ATS on my last home a bad storm had it running me and the friendly neighbors for 10 days at 60 amps. I had to shut it down to do a oil change. My new cheeseland 17 kwimage.jpg

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read most were 240 50 amp
240V 10A will charge an EV, it just takes a long time. 6-12+ hours depending upon the state of charge when you start charging. Most houses will cover that with solar and solar storage, the bigger issue will be the amount of fast chargers required for mass transport routes and cities, all clustered together. Fast chargers use significantly more current.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
OK guys, I have something interesting I'd like to discus! This is in reference to the Transfer Case fluid in the Toyota 4runner, there is a lot of discussion on the Toyota recommended fluid that is a 75w. Some say it is a GL-4 and some say it is a GL-5; most of us are running a 75w90 GL-5. Dave at redline said that Toyota is using a GL-4 since 2010. I found a VOA of the Toyota 75w online, and I provided the VOA on the Amsoil 75w140; I have never seen such an interesting additive package on a gear/transfer oil like the Toyota fluid, its loaded. I also reached out to Amsoil tech line and they were pathetic, no help at all. The Toyota fluid looks to be a GL-5 with 2298ppm Phosphorus but I've gotten conflicting information. The Toyota owners manual has "NO" GL-? rating for the transfer case fluid!
My 4Runner is closing in on 60k and I'm planning to service both diffs and the transfer case, Front and rear diffs will get Redline 75w90 GL-5 but I'm thinking of switching the transfer case fluid from a 75w90 back to the Toyota 75w. Wanted to get your opinions.
1658537389883.png

Attachments

• Amsoil 75w140.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 4

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't think I have heard of that one before, I forget but didnt gl-5 drop like 2002-2004 ish? So many years later toyo went back to gl4? Because the average joe wont find gl-4 on any oil shelf. I am curious, I'll see what is going on. says gl4 is active, mostly for manual, is it a manual?

The designation API GL-4 denotes lubricants intended for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speed and load or axles with hypoid (see note)gears operating under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual transmission and transaxle applications where MT-1 lubricants are unsuitable. The manufacturer's specific lubricant quality recommendations should be followed.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
what year is the forerunner? dont they spec whatever trans fluid in the same year?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does toyota use brass or copper in gears anywhere? We are used to newer oils taking out protection, but in 2002 they still cared about protection, so they actually added more. Kinda suprised gl5 is still the standard.

The main difference between GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils is the amount of EP additives. Sulphur/Phosphorus containing products are used as EP-additive. This additive has the purpose to prevent the occurrence of micro-welds on the gear flanks at the local high temperatures which prevail in EP circumstances (temperatures well in excess of 800℃!) GL-5 has roughly twice the amount of EP additives compared to GL-4, which is why it is often used in high-pressure circumstances such as in a front axle and rear axle differential.

Sulphur/Phosphorus additives however have an unfavourable property: they can react aggressively towards bronze and copper. This can be disastrous for the synchromesh rings of a gearbox. Therefore it is not recommended to use GL-5 in a gearbox unless the manufacturer allows this.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thats why they don't want gl5 in manual transmissions, too slippery.