Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Impressive noack across the board to say the least
thanks again trav. What are the saying for the drop in noacks? Dave promised 5w30 would not change but it has- visc up a tenth, and noack down 2 points. Might be a little worse at the cold piston slap deal, but might even be better at quieting a hemi. More better? I think so if all additives stay the same and noack drops 2, it was not enough to move the needle on hths not really surprised the hths must have moved but not enough to reach 3.8.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just based on theory and stats and your reportings, my guess would go something like this.

Hemi tick killing scale Corey's truck. Feel free to fill it out with the other oils you tried or move these. Kinda simplify it? Was amsoil 0w40 = to 5w30 redline or 0w30 redline? better?

Scale 1-10 how much tick was killed?

5. Redline 5w20
7. Redline 0w30 New Formula "Guess"
8. Redline 0w30 Old Formula
9. Redline 5w30

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The point of HP oils is to be best in the extremes hot and cold, pour points and noack/hths is what is used to gauge these. I did omit visc at 40 and ccs, just these values tells the story. Why did NOACK get so much better and everything else goes away from performance? Except for noack this stuff looks like group 3 shelf oil. Thanks travis for adding the real missing piece, the viscosity details changes things a bit. I'm sure redline has it's reasons for building this 0w30 this way, it will benefit many applications, but in a hemi it seams less than old formula 0w30.

Old Formula 0w30

Pour Point, °C-60
Pour Point, °F-76
NOACK 9
HTHS 3.4

New Formula 0w30

PP C -48
PP F -54
NOACK- 5
HTHS- 3.3

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
thanks again trav. What are the saying for the drop in noacks? Dave promised 5w30 would not change but it has- visc up a tenth, and noack down 2 points. Might be a little worse at the cold piston slap deal, but might even be better at quieting a hemi. More better? I think so if all additives stay the same and noack drops 2, it was not enough to move the needle on hths not really surprised the hths must have moved but not enough to reach 3.8.
Im not sure what Dave says about them but BITOG only made one mention of it and it more or less said what was lost in pour point was gained in noack

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Im not sure what Dave says about them but BITOG only made one mention of it and it more or less said what was lost in pour point was gained in noack
Less vii's in the new formula? Perhaps some good aspects yet to be revealed.

Hemi tick engines are lie detectors, if you think your oil is improved we will either prove it for ya or prove you lied about it.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The point of HP oils is to be best in the extremes hot and cold, pour points and noack/hths is what is used to gauge these. I did omit visc at 40 and ccs, just these values tells the story. Why did NOACK get so much better and everything else goes away from performance? Except for noack this stuff looks like group 3 shelf oil. Thanks travis for adding the real missing piece, the viscosity details changes things a bit. I'm sure redline has it's reasons for building this 0w30 this way, it will benefit many applications, but in a hemi it seams less than old formula 0w30.

Old Formula 0w30

Pour Point, °C-60
Pour Point, °F-76
NOACK 9
HTHS 3.4

New Formula 0w30

PP C -48
PP F -54
NOACK- 5
HTHS- 3.3
It seems odd to me that CCS, NOACK, and pour point is either the same or within a degree of each of the 3 new oils. 0w16, 0w20 and 0w30. Maybe dave can clarify those values

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I was curious about lifter issues and what's causing them, I did a bunch of reading, and found these videos as "proof" that Red Line cures the "HEMI Tick".

Well, as far as I can tell from these videos, I can confidently say that the only tick that Red Line will get rid off, if used correctly, is the one bellow:

1669828536609.png

Last edited by a moderator:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The old 0w30 RL I believe was only 3.4 HTHS

I recall 3.2 HTHS. It was definitely lower than 5W-30, in addition to higher NOACK. Which is why I only run 0W-30 in winter.

Speaking of which, it is 18 degrees F as we 'speak" with howling wind up here in the tundra, garden spot of the world. Or maybe North Dakota, the "Garden" State. ha ha ha

Anyway, you get to go 1st, as I pulled a @Burla and hoarded several years of old RL 0W-30. Which I just switched over to just in time.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I recall 3.2 HTHS. It was definitely lower than 5W-30, in addition to higher NOACK. Which is why I only run 0W-30 in winter.

Speaking of which, it is 18 degrees F as we 'speak" with howling wind up here in the tundra, garden spot of the world. Or maybe North Dakota, the "Garden" State. ha ha ha

Anyway, you get to go 1st, as I pulled a @Burla and hoarded several years of old RL 0W-30. Which I just switched over to just in time.
Seems to me like you're overthinking this. A "HEMI" is just like any other engine. It needs oil to run. I mean, don't put cheap stuff in it, but spending so much money on oil is crazy. Have you thought about using some Lucas Oil Stabilizer maybe?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to me like you're overthinking this. A "HEMI" is just like any other engine. It needs oil to run. I mean, don't put cheap stuff in it, but spending so much money on oil is crazy. Have you thought about using some Lucas Oil Stabilizer maybe?
Have you read any of the 4600 pages before this?

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Engine builder talks about ZDDP additives in engine oils, when to use it and when it's not making any improvement
starts @19:40 if my link don't start at the right time.
Hole video is about flat tapped cams/lifters and rollers true the years and fails from an engine builders standpoint

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just based on theory and stats and your reportings, my guess would go something like this.

Hemi tick killing scale Corey's truck. Feel free to fill it out with the other oils you tried or move these. Kinda simplify it? Was amsoil 0w40 = to 5w30 redline or 0w30 redline? better?

Scale 1-10 how much tick was killed?
-50. PP 5w20
3. PYB 5w20
4. PUP 0w40/5w30 mix
6. Redline 5w20
7. Redline 0w30 New Formula "Guess"
8. Amsoil SS 0w40
9. Redline 0w30 Old Formula
10.Redline 5w30

I put the oils I ran off the top of my head in the order I think they worked. SS 0w40 looks to be, at least on paper, better than the new RL 0w30 at killing tick. But I won't know for sure until I run it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was curious about lifter issues and what's causing them, I did a bunch of reading, and found these videos as "proof" that Red Line cures the "HEMI Tick".

Well, as far as I can tell from these videos, I can confidently say that the only tick that Red Line will get rid off, if used correctly, is the one bellow:

View attachment 507895
So that last video is mine. Did you click the link in the description to the video of my truck ticking away on SS 5w30? Because if that's not "proof" I'm not sure what is.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Engine builder talks about ZDDP additives in engine oils, when to use it and when it's not making any approvement
starts @19:40 if my link don't start at the right time.
Hole video is about flat tapped cams/lifters and rollers true the years and fails from an engine builders standpoint

A couple things, I wonder if they ever considered redesigning the hemi to have offset lifter contact, that would be a huge deal who knows maybe that could have stopped hemi tick, dunno.

And he talks about damage the same way, it is always one lob. So clearly the issue isnt with the other 7, must be doing something right on the other 7 lobs?

And warranty catalytic converters for 100k miles, is that a thing on new rams or any vehicle?

Not if this is true..

The last warranty included in Ram’s warranty program includes the Federal Emissions Warranty. It lasts for 2 years or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. Special components are covered by an 8 year or 80,000 miles warranty. This warranty ensures that vehicles meet or exceed all federal emissions regulations as required by the EPA.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Dude, just no. Read the hemi tick threads before making generalized ignorant statements on an enthusiast forum.

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First time poster. That was a lot of reading... forgot more than I remembered lol. Started at the beginning and jumped around after that. A true wealth of information.

Been on Redline 5w 20 for the last 600 miles (was on PUP 5w 20 since 1,500 miles, currently at 27,000 miles). Winter scared me of the 5w 30, should have went 0w 30 but this is my first dip into the non-certified oil pool and took baby steps, my 2020 still has two years and 20K of warranty left.

I'm trying to quiet a faint tick/knock that sounds distant and sometimes isn't even there. Never hear it on cold start in the garage, only when it gains a little heat then goes away at temp. Possible exhaust manifold? I'd think it would make noise instantly instead of coming on gradually with a little heat.

This is still in the hold your breath stages and the tick actually sounds a little louder now after the first 600 miles, but overall the engine is smoother than I could imagine. Going to hang in there and let the magic Voo Doo do it's thing.

Could the tick be increased by using the small RP filter (10-48)? I recently ditched the small Wix after finding out their media doesn't filter squat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500