Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Could the tick be increased by using the small RP filter (10-48)? I recently ditched the small Wix after finding out their media doesn't filter squat.
Try one of the large filters like FRAM Ultra XG2, Mopar SRT 5038041AA, Wix XP 57899XP, Mopar 04884899AC, Purolator PBL24651. Flip a coin and take your pick, they're all great oil filters. The smaller filter can make it problematic for the oil to lubricate the lifters fast enough, just as a bad ADBV inside the filter can cause fast drain back when you turn off your engine, which in turn will cause it to briefly tick when to start it up again. Change the filter to a bigger one and you should be good to go. You can forego Royal Purple, their quality on everything is questionable as they're not an ethical company. Your opbeservations about the oil used are correct: it's the filter, not the oil. I hope this helps you.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try one of the large filters like FRAM Ultra XG2, Mopar SRT 5038041AA, Wix XP 57899XP, Mopar 04884899AC, Purolator PBL24651. Flip a coin and take your pick, they're all great oil filters. The smaller filter can make it problematic for the oil to lubricate the lifters fast enough, just as a bad ADBV inside the filter can cause fast drain back when you turn off your engine, which in turn will cause it to briefly tick when to start it up again. Change the filter to a bigger one and you should be good to go. You can forego Royal Purple, their quality on everything is questionable as they're not an ethical company. Your opbeservations about the oil used are correct: it's the filter, not the oil. I hope this helps you.
Royal Purple are great filters and consistently rated very high. You didn't plug Amsoil filters?

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Royal Purple are great filters and consistently rated very high.
By who?

You didn't plug Amsoil filters?
No, because he has an immediate need to address the issue and all the filters I listed can be purchased locally. The equivalent AMSOIL filter is model EAO11. The AMSOIL filter is a fantastic oil filter that can go for up to 25,000 miles and has a 99% efficiency at 20 microns. It is highly rated and there are many YouTube videos showing the excellent build quality AMSOIL filters.

1669916852333.png

Last edited:

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I use Shell Rotella T4/Super Tech HD Diesel Oil now since I don't haul as much as we did while traveling full-time rving. While doing that I ran T5 or T6.

Take a whole 3 gallons of oil too. So depending on availability and price at the time I go from the T4 to or from Super Tech.

No issues with any of these oils well. Had truck now pushing 2 years this coming April and have put on over 31k miles on it. I change out oil every 5-6k miles.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By who?

No, because he has an immediate need to address the issue and all the filters I listed can be purchase locally. The equivalent AMSOIL filter is model EAO11. The AMSOIL filter is a fantastic highly rated oil filter that can go for up to 25,000 miles and has a 99% efficiency at 20 microns. It is highly rated and there are many YouTube videos showing the excellent build quality of these filters.

View attachment 507939

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I use Shell Rotella T4/Super Tech HD Diesel Oil now since I don't haul as much as we did while traveling full-time rving. While doing that I ran T5 or T6.

Take a whole 3 gallons of oil too. So depending on availability and price at the time I go from the T4 to or from Super Tech.

No issues with any of these oils well. Had truck now pushing 2 years this coming April and have put on over 31k miles on it. I change out oil every 5-6k miles.
You have to try AMSOIL Max-Duty 100% Synthetic Diesel Oil (5W-40 & 15W-40) and install an AMSOIL Bypass filtration system. You will be able to run cleaner, better oil and extended your oil change intervals.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have to try AMSOIL Max-Duty 100% Synthetic Diesel Oil (5W-40 & 15W-40) and install an AMSOIL Bypass filtration system. You will be able to run cleaner, better oil and extended your oil change intervals.
@MADDOG is Amsoil a site sponsor?

jimspencer741

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I do the 5-6k mile range because of the heavy towing we do.

Never been a fan of amsoil - never used them nor gonna switch lol - plus at over $57 per gallon, not worth it.

Rather get Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic for $26 per gallon.

Average recommendation for diesel pickup oil changes is between 5-7k or at the least every 6 months.

At $57/gallon x 3 = $171
At $26/gallon x 3 = $78

Doesn't seem worth it to me hahaha

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
First time poster. That was a lot of reading... forgot more than I remembered lol. Started at the beginning and jumped around after that. A true wealth of information.

Been on Redline 5w 20 for the last 600 miles (was on PUP 5w 20 since 1,500 miles, currently at 27,000 miles). Winter scared me of the 5w 30, should have went 0w 30 but this is my first dip into the non-certified oil pool and took baby steps, my 2020 still has two years and 20K of warranty left.

I'm trying to quiet a faint tick/knock that sounds distant and sometimes isn't even there. Never hear it on cold start in the garage, only when it gains a little heat then goes away at temp. Possible exhaust manifold? I'd think it would make noise instantly instead of coming on gradually with a little heat.

This is still in the hold your breath stages and the tick actually sounds a little louder now after the first 600 miles, but overall the engine is smoother than I could imagine. Going to hang in there and let the magic Voo Doo do it's thing.

Could the tick be increased by using the small RP filter (10-48)? I recently ditched the small Wix after finding out their media doesn't filter squat.
I would expect the 10-48 to cause tick in hemi tick engines, which sounds like you are on the border. Please change it fram xg2 or ro 20-500 and lets see what happens. Also, redline takes 500 miles to kick in, I am subscribed as I'd love to hear another success story. If this doesnt happen for you lets try and figure some things, pay attention to when it ticks and how it ticks. It sounds like the most dangerous tick, warm idle tick which I preach needs to be gone from that engine if possible. How cold does it get where you live?

The smaller filters have been a known issue for a long time and should never be used imo as there is no reason for them. Sadly we cant get the real deal 20-820's anytime soon, but there are a couple options. The question is should you opt to add a quart of thicker redline to that sump when you change the filter. So currently you have no piston slap at cold start??

There is a reason why the ram guys think of 5w30 as hemi honey, literally none of the original guys stuck with 5w20. It worked in my ram but not in others. When attacking a hemi tick I'd suggest also adding thicker oil, specifically 5w30 redline.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You chose to run the cousin filter to this below, if a manu goes to the trouble to say DONT use this filter, I'd trust them. Now, in your defense sadly RP hasn't made any statements, I'm not really sure how invested they are in their oil filter division. Now, this only happens in some rams, but when your ram is already ticking, choking it off is a death nail, and yes I know first hand. As posted I had just a filter cause my engine to tick, changed it 20-820 and havent looked back. Literally I changed it right after an oil change that left my truck ticking, topped it off with 5w30 redline and my filter, no tick. YES the wrong filter should never stay on. Now, for the guys who use the 10-48 and like it, this has nothing to do with you keep on keeping on. I might consider the larger filter anyhow, but that would be a choice, but if your engine is ticking no way is the small filter appropriate. There is plenty I disagree with below, the issue is not contamination, it is the filter design and restriction of flow. But point is, many issues with there on rams.

AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter Temporarily Not Recommended for Select Ram and GM Applications
We are no longer recommending the AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filter for 2007-2013 GM vehicles with the 5.3L engine and 2013-current Ram vehicles with the 5.7L or 6.4L engines. There is no cause for alarm if you or one of your customers is using the EA15K50 Filter with one of the listed vehicles; we are acting out of an abundance of caution. We have sold thousands of AMSOIL EA15K50 Oil Filters to customers with one of the GM or Ram engines listed above. A very small percentage of those customers have reported gauges or check-engine lights indicating slightly lower than normal oil pressure.

Our industry-leading high-efficiency media removes more particles of smaller sizes than most competing filters to better prevent engine wear. In the GM and Ram applications listed, the EA15K50 Filter is capturing a large number of deposits and reaching its holding capacity before the end of its recommended service life in a small number of instances. This can result in reduced flow and overall oil pressure, but in no way harms the engine. AMSOIL Oil Filters include a bypass relief valve to ensure appropriate oil volume is always delivered to critical components.

Rather than cause some customers unnecessary concern, we are recommending the WIX 57060 or Donaldson P550794 in place of the EA15K50 in 2007-2013 GM 5.3L engines and 2013-current Ram 5.7L and 6.4L engines. They are high-quality filters, but will not capture as many small particles as the AMSOIL Oil Filter does, and they are designed for shorter service intervals.

FAQ

I used the EA15K50 Oil Filter with one of the affected GM or Ram engines before. Can I continue to do so?

Yes, but it should be changed at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended change interval. We no longer recommend this filter for up to 15,000 miles in these engines.

Did using the EA15K50 Oil Filter harm my vehicle?
No. The filter includes a bypass relief valve to ensure appropriate oil volume is always delivered to critical components.

Can I still practice extended drain intervals with Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil in these engines?
Yes, but only if you change the WIX or Donaldson filter at the manufacturer’s recommended service interval and top off the oil after the filter change.

Is there any benefit to using Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil if I don’t want to change filters to get extended drain intervals?
Yes, Signature Series contains a robust package of detergents and dispersants to protect against the deposits produced by these engines.

What can I do to combat these oil deposits?
We recommend using Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil and changing the WIX or Donaldson filter at the manufacturer’s recommended interval. We also recommend using AMSOIL Engine and Transmission Flush (FLSH) every-other oil change.

Will AMSOIL offer another extended drain filter for these engines?
We are conducting additional research and development with the goal of once again supplying a high-efficiency, extended-life filtration option.

Ramerica

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 DT
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would expect the 10-48 to cause tick in hemi tick engines, which sounds like you are on the border. Please change it fram xg2 or ro 20-500 and lets see what happens. Also, redline takes 500 miles to kick in, I am subscribed as I'd love to hear another success story. If this doesnt happen for you lets try and figure some things, pay attention to when it ticks and how it ticks. It sounds like the most dangerous tick, warm idle tick which I preach needs to be gone from that engine if possible. How cold does it get where you live?

The smaller filters have been a known issue for a long time and should never be used imo as there is no reason for them. Sadly we cant get the real deal 20-820's anytime soon, but there are a couple options. The question is should you opt to add a quart of thicker redline to that sump when you change the filter. So currently you have no piston slap at cold start??

There is a reason why the ram guys think of 5w30 as hemi honey, literally none of the original guys stuck with 5w20. It worked in my ram but not in others. When attacking a hemi tick I'd suggest also adding thicker oil, specifically 5w30 redline.
It gets cold, into the teens Jan-Feb but usually in the mid 20's. There isn't any piston slap, but it's still hovering in the 30-40's.

I don't think the 20-500 will fit on the 1500 DT with electric steering rack, might be too long. Funny thing this is my third filter on this change.

First filter: Mopar SRT 5038041AA. Tight squeeze but went on fine, problem in my mind was the small gap between the filter and rack. The situation I pictured was a moment of high torque twisting the motor and the filter banging into the rack springing a leak.

Second filter: Wix XP 50760. After reading a few oil filter threads about it's boulder catching skills, it had to go.

Third filter: Royal Purple 10-48. This could very well be when the tick became louder. I was on the fence about the 20-820 with rack clearance, the supply chain ended that route anyways.

I will gladly use a bigger filter just need some reassurance that the filter can't hit the rack under high torque.

Oiliver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I will gladly use a bigger filter just need some reassurance that the filter can't hit the rack under high torque.
The Purolator BOSS PBL24651 is shorter than the other ones. I mean, any of the filters I listed will fit, and the AMSOIL will provide the best filtration, however, the PBL24651 is a tad shorter than the other filters. I use the PBL24651 when I'm out of the EAO11.

Again, if you're concerned about space, use the Purolator BOSS PBL24651.

When you remove the filter loosen it a bit with a Ziploc bag on it, until all the drain-back oil leaks out from the heads. Then take off the bag, wipe the filter, get a fresh bag, and remove it. This way you won't make a mess.

Remove/Install the filter by going in with your hand from the front of the engine over the front axle, you will have plenty of room. Don't try to squeeze from the bottom between the electronic rack and front axle because it's a PITA.

@Burla posted the service bulletin for the AMSOIL EA15K50. I have no idea why he posted that service bulletin because I did not recommend the EA15K50 oil filter. That's a tiny and restrictive oil filter, I would never recommend that oil filter to anyone.

Take a look at the picture bellow, it's tiny:

1669925732806.png

The one I recommended is the EAO11, which is used on the SRT 6.4 HEMI and SRT Supercharged 6.2 HEMI. It's a very very good oil filter.

1669925764789.png

Last edited:

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
I thought that that I was reading from the oil filter thread for a minute ...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It gets cold, into the teens Jan-Feb but usually in the mid 20's. There isn't any piston slap, but it's still hovering in the 30-40's.

I don't think the 20-500 will fit on the 1500 DT with electric steering rack, might be too long. Funny thing this is my third filter on this change.

First filter: Mopar SRT 5038041AA. Tight squeeze but went on fine, problem in my mind was the small gap between the filter and rack. The situation I pictured was a moment of high torque twisting the motor and the filter banging into the rack springing a leak.

Second filter: Wix XP 50760. After reading a few oil filter threads about it's boulder catching skills, it had to go.

Third filter: Royal Purple 10-48. This could very well be when the tick became louder. I was on the fence about the 20-820 with rack clearance, the supply chain ended that route anyways.

You would be the first if you had an issue with the 20-820 size filters. To date I don't believe there was any size issues with this one or the fram xg2, cousin filter amsoil 11 if you can get those. 10-48 is 3.62 tall I believe the 20-820 and similar is 4 inch, and the 20-500 is 4.87. The larger filters are less then 1/2 from the small filters.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You would be the first if you had an issue with the 20-820 size filters. To date I don't believe there was any size issues with this one or the fram xg2, cousin filter amsoil 11 if you can get those. 10-48 is 3.62 tall I believe the 20-820 and similar is 4 inch, and the 20-500 is 4.87. The larger filters are less then 1/2 from the small filters.

In the 1500. Recall those of us "specials" with the 2500 or 3500 and the Hemi.