Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They are still usable for sure, but not desirable to have rust. If you don't use them, do the forum and cut it open and see if there is any rust on the inside anywhere. Oil itself protects metal from rust, thus is why something silly like fluid film in a can will literally stop rust even if driving through salt.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I don't find oils I want off the shelf anymore. The great supply shortage era put an end to physical store stocking reliability.

Even our region's Wally Worlds don't keep store stock current on the web. I'm done running around for no good reason.

Therefore, I don't settle for what some retailer ends up with. I order from web warehouses only.
Hence, Red Line only. Either RP or Fram Ultra for oil filters.
A recent posting said Cummins now recommends spun polypropylene strand instead of fiberglass, since they have evidence of glass shards getting into the engine. So I've changed back to dual layer fiberglass mat (not wound ), Fram Ultra, to minimize. RP is wound glass.
Not aware of polypropylene wound oil filters for consumers like us.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
A couple questions.

Its been a while since Ive even needed to look at oil (private stash is dwindling :) ). My truck is not driven much, maybe 6K miles per year. 99% of the time is short trips, so Ive always been using full synth, but not necessarily a boutique synth (like RL). Currently running Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30...the engine seems to like it, its a bit loud but not nearly as bad as PUP 5W-30 was.

Rotella GT seems to have disappeared from my area, no idea why. Because of that, what would a decent off-the-shelf oil be? I saw Castrol (gold bottle) mentioned...*that* I can get, along with pretty much any variety of Mobil 1. Not averse to changing viscosity, within reason.

Second question - I had 2 RP filters hanging around in my oil cabinet. Checked them just to check them and noticed there is a bit of rust at the "seam" of the top of the can (thread end). Pics attached. Also note, one has flat holes and the other has "scalloped" holes. These have been sitting in my cabinet for a bit, but curious if they are still usable.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

View attachment 513089

View attachment 513090

If your still wanting to use/buy Rotella multi 5w30 (aka Rotella T6 5w30 same stuff different jug) you will most likely need to order it online at Amazon or Walmart for $32.99 gallon unless you happen to find it at O Reilly Auto, Napa or some other parts house...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A couple questions.

Its been a while since Ive even needed to look at oil (private stash is dwindling :) ). My truck is not driven much, maybe 6K miles per year. 99% of the time is short trips, so Ive always been using full synth, but not necessarily a boutique synth (like RL). Currently running Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30...the engine seems to like it, its a bit loud but not nearly as bad as PUP 5W-30 was.

Rotella GT seems to have disappeared from my area, no idea why. Because of that, what would a decent off-the-shelf oil be? I saw Castrol (gold bottle) mentioned...*that* I can get, along with pretty much any variety of Mobil 1. Not averse to changing viscosity, within reason.

Second question - I had 2 RP filters hanging around in my oil cabinet. Checked them just to check them and noticed there is a bit of rust at the "seam" of the top of the can (thread end). Pics attached. Also note, one has flat holes and the other has "scalloped" holes. These have been sitting in my cabinet for a bit, but curious if they are still usable.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

View attachment 513089

View attachment 513090
Im running Valvoline AS 0w20 right now with great results so far. Pretty easy to find at Walmart and just about any auto parts store. It has a good amount of moly and zinc is at the top of the SP limit.

I would pass on using those filters, rust isn't something you want in your motor....

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't find oils I want off the shelf anymore. The great supply shortage era put an end to physical store stocking reliability.

Even our region's Wally Worlds don't keep store stock current on the web. I'm done running around for no good reason.

Therefore, I don't settle for what some retailer ends up with. I order from web warehouses only.
Hence, Red Line only. Either RP or Fram Ultra for oil filters.
A recent posting said Cummins now recommends spun polypropylene strand instead of fiberglass, since they have evidence of glass shards getting into the engine. So I've changed back to dual layer fiberglass mat (not wound ), Fram Ultra, to minimize. RP is wound glass.
Not aware of polypropylene wound oil filters for consumers like us.
I always wondered about the microglass getting into the motor. Makes me want to go back to the SRT filter or Fram Ultra....

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Interesting list of "bad" suv's, bronco on the list along with a di honda with a new reason for a di to fail other then lspi, but pressures pushing blowby past the rings. Wanna great suv, buy a rav 4, three of my wife's sisters have them, greatest suv ever for a small gas saving suv.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So the turbo gets you six mpg more then the 24 combined my 2009 rav 4 gets. We actually get 29 mph religiously, she is all freeway easy miles. Look at what the newest rav's are getting with no di turbo. Hey the wife has to drive something anyhow hey, burla's case for the rav 4 closed, no regrets. In 14 years all we ever had was an alt die after 100k miles knock wood. Easiest tune up ever, all 4 plugs right on top. Maybe the only thing I'd do different is put a canister filter instead of cartridge. So what's the point of the di in these vehicles, just so you can have a little zip? At what cost? Those toyota 4 bangers are just great little engines. 2021 rav 4 gets you 100 miles on 3 gallons.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
That's what I would assume? I can ask at my next sample if no one else has asked by then.

I too wondered about that when it was mentioned.

So I called Blackstone Labs and talked with an tech about oil analysis and would/could they be able to detect from an oil sample other containments(from oil filter)and the answer was yes and in the comments section is where it would be noted as something(depending on type)else is present in the oil sample.

So, how did CUMMINS (from previous comment) know that there was "glass shard" particles in that oil sample?

By oil sample, of course.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5.7 Tundra's get horrible gas MPG. Among the 5 half tons, it's definitely on the bottom with the others way above, even the hemi is far better.
It does have really bad gas mileage, however it is known as a pretty stirdy motor. However, I've come across some having electrical issues.
Careful about what you say about the Tundra on the internet. Those Tundra fanboys come out like Antifa.
I've seen dozens of youtube videos reviewing Fords, GM and Rams, being trolled by Tundra fanboys stating how "reliable" their trucks are over anything else. It's the one thing I don't like the Toyota brand. The association.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
LOL.. @Burla Didn't expect you to be an ambassador for Toyota. Makes me wonder why you didn't get a Tundra.
like I said, wife has to drive something. I would never buy a tundra, or a chevy, and I can't afford Ford. It's either dodge or older truck. The cummins Nissan is also costly and didnt turn out so great.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I always wondered about the microglass getting into the motor. Makes me want to go back to the SRT filter or Fram Ultra....

I wasn't aware of this until I think it was @Travis8352 posted the Cummins Service Bulletin about it, complete with photomicrographs.

Maybe it only wears on longer life engines like diesels - have no idea if it degrades performance of gassers up to 200,000 miles. I just know that running abrasive silicate glass through engine parts probably isn't great.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I too wondered about that when it was mentioned.

So I called Blackstone Labs and talked with an tech about oil analysis and would/could they be able to detect from an oil sample other containments(from oil filter)and the answer was yes and in the comments section is where it would be noted as something(depending on type)else is present in the oil sample.

So, how did CUMMINS (from previous comment) know that there was "glass shard" particles in that oil sample?

By oil sample, of course.

@Travis8352 I believe posted the full bulletin from Cummins, complete with photomicrograph. How or why Cummins is concerned, I have no idea. Haven't been there since 2016, and most of my generation retired.

Keep in mind Cummins was a seller of wound fiberglass oil filters - Fleetguard Stratopore, and it was a high profit margin product for them. They stopped selling them. So it's not just Forum hyperbole. You'd need to ask Cummins. We're just relaying information from this OEM.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Interesting list of "bad" suv's, bronco on the list along with a di honda with a new reason for a di to fail other then lspi, but pressures pushing blowby past the rings. Wanna great suv, buy a rav 4, three of my wife's sisters have them, greatest suv ever for a small gas saving suv.

Makes me wonder if I bought a blow up motor for wife with Mazda DI Turbo? Have no idea what their boost pressure is or their peak cylinder pressure. Then again, she only puts 10k miles on a year, if that. At least this motor isn't working as hard as the other brands with their little 1.5 liter mouse motors and CVT trannys. Mazda is an old-timey 2.5 liters.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@Travis8352 I believe posted the full bulletin from Cummins, complete with photomicrograph. How or why Cummins is concerned, I have no idea. Haven't been there since 2016, and most of my generation retired.

Keep in mind Cummins was a seller of wound fiberglass oil filters - Fleetguard Stratopore, and it was a high profit margin product for them. They stopped selling them. So it's not just Forum hyperbole. You'd need to ask Cummins. We're just relaying information from this OEM.
I wonder if its more of a 0.1 percent issue and its just something they are using to market their technology. Nashnative on bitog has posted before about microglass vs polypropylene and IIRC he said microglass is old tech but still a huge step above cellulose filters and that their polypropylene media is modern tech. Ill have to dig later for some of the more detailed info i found before