Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You've sure had a rough go of it with lifter failure, hopefully that's behind you. Video sounds nice and smooth as far as I can tell.
Thanks. I don't know if this would be useful as a data point, but it should be noted that the video was taken and posted in August - which is one of the hottest months of the year here in Dubai. The temps average in between 46 - 49.C.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you look at their 15w40 tells a better story, lower cSt but higher hths.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
What about the anti drain back valve? Somebody here once said that the heat makes the valve seat better (or something along those lines), ever since I read that I started paying attention to my oil temps and that's how I got to that observation that I need at lest 60 deg

How many have run 5w40 redline in a 6.4? Or 5.7? 15.6 cst and 4.4 HTHS... wow
Would work great in 90° F plus regions.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree with idle time, that's why mine is bumped to 750rpm@idle.
Doesn't take long for warmup in NC either.

Ping you say, so the thinner weight didn't help with VVT.
Ping in the summer months only with normal operating temps or constant even when cooler?
Octane rating you run?
Have your mechanic to look at combustion chamber for carbon deposits with borescope.

When I asked him to look at it he asked me my oil and I was running 5w-30; of course he just said, put 5w-20 in it and check again so I did that back in Sept last year. It's been better since, but here we get into the issue of changing multiple things at once. I know for certain it never pings in the summer when its cold. But if you add heat (especially towing) and/or run 87 octane its terrible. It always sounds better in the winter months regardless of oil because my temps are usually colder.

Definitely getting a scope at some point. But considering I noticed it from the first month of ownership (brand new engine) and the owners manual mentions it specifically, I suspect it's "running as designed" and only a custom tune backing out some timing will get rid of it completely.

I have been running 91 for a long time now, but did run 89 for a few years before that. It really does not like 87 at all. One time I got caught in a small rural town with my trailer behind me, almost out of gas and filled up with 87 because of course they were out of premium, and I swear coming home on some hills out by Barrie/ON I thought I was going to spill all the marbles out on the freeway. Never, ever doing that again. I carry spare fuel jugs in my bed when making long trips now.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
When I asked him to look at it he asked me my oil and I was running 5w-30; of course he just said, put 5w-20 in it and check again so I did that back in Sept last year. It's been better since, but here we get into the issue of changing multiple things at once. I know for certain it never pings in the summer when its cold. But if you add heat (especially towing) and/or run 87 octane its terrible. It always sounds better in the winter months regardless of oil because my temps are usually colder.

Definitely getting a scope at some point. But considering I noticed it from the first month of ownership (brand new engine) and the owners manual mentions it specifically, I suspect it's "running as designed" and only a custom tune backing out some timing will get rid of it completely.

I have been running 91 for a long time now, but did run 89 for a few years before that. It really does not like 87 at all. One time I got caught in a small rural town with my trailer behind me, almost out of gas and filled up with 87 because of course they were out of premium, and I swear coming home on some hills out by Barrie/ON I thought I was going to spill all the marbles out on the freeway. Never, ever doing that again. I carry spare fuel jugs in my bed when making long trips now.
Well ya got your answer then, more octane or de-tuned to run 87.......LoL

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes. By the ignorant vehicle maker.
I wouldn't call them ignorant. Well my dealership wasn't. They knew perfectly well what the 5w20 was doing to my engine, but sold me the oil anyway. I was the ignorant one - following the manual.
Most of the lifter failures I've heard happen to the 5.7, so I assumed that the 6.4s were mostly OK because they were already running the perfect oil for their application.
what is the best oil for the 6.4?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wouldn't call them ignorant. Well my dealership wasn't. They knew perfectly well what the 5w20 was doing to my engine, but sold me the oil anyway. I was the ignorant one - following the manual.
Most of the lifter failures I've heard happen to the 5.7, so I assumed that the 6.4s were mostly OK because they were already running the perfect oil for their application.
The amount of 6.4's they sell in comparision to the 5.7's they sell is just a drop in the bucket,so you're going to hear about 5.7 lifter failures more,but if you go on any of the Challenger/Charger FB pages or forums,you'll see the 6.4 has the same lifter issues as the 5.7's have

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Is it possible to run that weight in our engines?
I just heard from one person who runs 10w30 in his Ram and is currently has mileage of over 178,000 miles without incident.
Never tried it, but when I was running 5W40 RL in my 6.4 my buddy with a 5.7 misunderstood me, and ran an OCI or two of 10W40 RL. No tick, no codes, no problems.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@knightjp here is that post.

The link I originally had was changed for some reason, I think when they did the last update to the site.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

No, I mean by Stellantis and the EPA.

Best oil for any Hemi has sufficient viscosity for the loads intended and ambient temperature you operate in - PLUS a big slug of moly additive to get the lifters to live (and save the cam).

For me, where I live (near Canada border in middle of NA), that's Red Line 5W-30 summer, Red Line (or HPL) 0W-30 winter. I tow a 7,000 lb travel trailer, btw.

Here in the Siberia of North America, ambient temperature ranges from +100 degrees F to -30 degrees F, with constant wind.

The garden spot of the globe.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@knightjp here is that post.

The link I originally had was changed for some reason, I think when they did the last update to the site.
@Hemi395 Quite the story. What is PYB? I know it stands for Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, but all Pennzoil bottles are yellow.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
According to Pennzoil's website they don't make a conventional oil anymore even though they list it under products.
Guess it could be a mistake, not sure.