Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Probably charge as much as Red Line for the branding.
Ain't that the truth? Red Line Oil charges an arm and a leg for an SL-era Mobil 1 recipe that they're aping, with some MoDTC (molybdenum dithiocarbamate) dunked in there for good measure. Though, most of that MoDTC is going away now. :rolleyes:

Mobil 1 is the undisputed King of Motor Oils! Everyone else, especially the wannabe "meets and exceeds" boutique brands, is playing catch-up, while selling second-rate products.

Dude - I was there when they only put in cans.
Sticking the labels on them cans, I bet. ;)

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I understood it has to do with the injector not changing between lean and rich quick enough.

If it injects rich early under load, it pre-ignites . Compression and boost are too high for rich early fuel injection.

So as it comes off load, it gets some lagging rich injection as piston slows.

Real answer would be faster processor and/or a 2nd injector in the intake port dedicated to lean burn.
Yeah.... but think about this: At high throttle demand when accelerating, there is so much fuel demand for stoic as programmed into the algorithm. So, all of the sudden, as acceleration progresses, the engine (AKA Pump) reaches it's maximum efficiency and can no longer build power. Enter the "black box" aka transmission.... it is commanded to shift into the next gear in order to continue to accelerate. At the same high throttle, the engine suddenly slows down RPM as the transmission shifts, and the LOAD rises exponentially. Compression goes up, the piston is at "low speed as it gets close to TDC and transitions direction, there is fuel in all this high pressure heated mixture, and there is a minute amount of fuel lurking in the carbon on the piston top. BOOM! That fuel explodes and burns at an uncontrolled rate, or pre-ignites. This is more problematic with GDI engines because the fuel is injected into the cylinder directly at a later time than port injection. ALL this is compounded by very high compression, ersatz higher combustion temp and STOIC way above 14.7 to 1 (Very lean) making it even hotter!

All this because C.A.F.E. is unrealitically high and little bitty engines make horsepower far in excess of yesteryear's big block muscles cars!

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It was a balmy 0C today, much nicer than the -25C we had all week. Perfect time to change the oil.... And discover the broken pad heater cable. For the cost of these damn things Mr. Heater really chinced out on the cord.IMG_20221204_114036.jpg
It was zip tied with the block heater cord on the grille. Block heater cord survives the cold without breaking .IMG_20221204_114139.jpg
Now to find an appropriate cord to fix the broken one.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yeah.... but think about this: At high throttle demand when accelerating, there is so much fuel demand for stoic as programmed into the algorithm. So, all of the sudden, as acceleration progresses, the engine (AKA Pump) reaches it's maximum efficiency and can no longer build power. Enter the "black box" aka transmission.... it is commanded to shift into the next gear in order to continue to accelerate. At the same high throttle, the engine suddenly slows down RPM as the transmission shifts, and the LOAD rises exponentially. Compression goes up, the piston is at "low speed as it gets close to TDC and transitions direction, there is fuel in all this high pressure heated mixture, and there is a minute amount of fuel lurking in the carbon on the piston top. BOOM! That fuel explodes and burns at an uncontrolled rate, or pre-ignites. This is more problematic with GDI engines because the fuel is injected into the cylinder directly at a later time than port injection. ALL this is compounded by very high compression, ersatz higher combustion temp and STOIC way above 14.7 to 1 (Very lean) making it even hotter!

All this because C.A.F.E. is unrealitically high and little bitty engines make horsepower far in excess of yesteryear's big block muscles cars!
It's wild that with all the information out there about what LSPI is and what causes it, people still post outlandish theories that in no way align with the facts.

Got the PUP/RL mix in today, we'll see how it tests out.
Are you doing a UOA at the end of the OCI? If yes, please don't send it to Blackstone, their analysis results are full of inaccuracies and they can't measure fuel dilution. Sometimes they can't measure the viscosity either. Oil Analyzers, WearCheck, or Polaris, are all better choices.

I'm curious to see what a majority PAO plus a dash of Ester (no ANs) with an SL-era additive package motor oil combined with another oil made entirely from GTL plus a Dexos 1 DI package looks like. Neither of these two are great on their own, neither is the result after you mix them.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It was a balmy 0C today, much nicer than the -25C we had all week. Perfect time to change the oil.... And discover the broken pad heater cable. For the cost of these damn things Mr. Heater really chinced out on the cord.View attachment 508202
It was zip tied with the block heater cord on the grille. Block heater cord survives the cold without breaking .View attachment 508203
Now to find an appropriate cord to fix the broken one.
Once you get the cord patched up,go over to Crappy Tire and buy yourself a roll of Hockey tape and wrap the full length of the cord with it,it'll help keep the cord in better shape.Should be on the bottom shelf by the hockey equipment,or it was the last time i bought some at Airdrie Crappy Tire.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's wild that with all the information out there about what LSPI is and what causes it, people still post outlandish theories that in no way align with the facts.

Are you doing a UOA at the end of the OCI? If yes, please don't send it to Blackstone, their analysis results are full of inaccuracies and they can't measure fuel dilution. Sometimes they can't measure the viscosity either. Oil Analyzers, WearCheck, or Polaris, are all better choices.

I'm curious to see what a majority PAO plus a dash of Ester (no ANs) with an SL-era additive package motor oil combined with another oil made entirely from GTL plus a Dexos 1 DI package looks like. Neither of these two are great on their own, neither is the result after you mix them.
Okay, thanks for the input.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never done UOA. Whats the process? Request a “kit”?
Yup, Blackstone Labs will send you sample containers for free, follow their instructions (I prepay the fee online), drop it back in the mail with the prepaid label, receive results in a few weeks. They tie the sample to your customer account so you get a running history of your samples and personalized feedback on the sample results also.

There are other labs but that's who I use.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, Blackstone Labs will send you sample containers for free, follow their instructions (I prepay the fee online), drop it back in the mail with the prepaid label, receive results in a few weeks. They tie the sample to your customer account so you get a running history of your samples and personalized feedback on the sample results also.

There are other labs but that's who I use.
Cool. Thanks!

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool. Thanks!
I forgot to add, you can also read through this whole thread then post your results when you get them.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ain't that the truth? Red Line Oil charges an arm and a leg for an SL-era Mobil 1 recipe that they're aping, with some MoDTC (molybdenum dithiocarbamate) dunked in there for good measure. Though, most of that MoDTC is going away now. :rolleyes:

Mobil 1 is the undisputed King of Motor Oils! Everyone else, especially the wannabe "meets and exceeds" boutique brands, is playing catch-up, while selling second-rate products.

Sticking the labels on them cans, I bet. ;)

Degreed Field Service Lube Engineer for factories requiring more than 5,000 gallons of lubricants per year.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Degreed Field Service Lube Engineer for factories requiring more than 5,000 gallons of lubricants per year.
That explains your lack of knowledge on engines and engine oils. I once worked for NASA, but I don't cast that about in hopes that people might infer that I have knowledge on how to built a space shuttle. In fact, I was simply part of the custodial crew. Misrepresenting employment history to farm unearned credibility reeks of insecurity.

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That explains your lack of knowledge on engines and engine oils. I once worked for NASA, but I don't cast that about in hopes that people might infer that I have knowledge on how to built a space shuttle. In fact, I was simply part of the custodial crew. Misrepresenting employment history to farm unearned credibility reeks of insecurity.
I'd think you'd be better at cleaning up garbage than spreading it if that were true, take a chill pill man.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I'd think you'd be better at cleaning up garbage than spreading it if that were true, take a chill pill man.
Have you read any of the 4600 pages before this?
You once asked if I read all of the 4600 plus pages. I did not read all of them, however, I read through a lot of them, and consumed a lot of popcorn, chips, and ice-cream in the process. For a while it was my daily entertainment for an hour after work, five days a week.

So now I have to ask: Did you read through those 4600 some odd pages? Especially the parts that dive deeply into fantasy land about how Red Line Oil is formulated, how Molybdenum presumably works and the tribological non-sense associated with those assumptions, or the endless chit-chat about ATF and gear oil? Or how about the fact that certain members don't want to explain what a "HEMI tick" consists of while at the same time promoting a "lubrication strategy". Adults wandering in circles for nearly a decade. It seems to me that you are the one who has to do some much needed reading.

The ridiculous number of Dunning-Kruger syndrome occurrences that I've seen in this thread are disconcerting, to say the least.

Last edited:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You once asked if I read all of the 4600 plus pages. I did not read all of them, however, I read through a lot of them, and consumed a lot of popcorn, chips, and ice-cream in the process. For a while it was my daily entertainment for an hour after work, five days a week.

So now I have to ask: Did you read through those 4600 some odd pages? Especially the parts that dive deeply into fantasy land about how Red Line Oil is formulated, how Molybdenum presumably works and the tribological non-sense associated with those assumptions, or the endless chit-chat about ATF and gear oil? Or how about the fact that certain members don't want to explain what a "HEMI tick" consists of while at the same time promoting a "lubrication strategy". Adults wandering in circles for nearly a decade. It seems to me that you are the one who has to do some much needed reading.

The ridiculous number of Dunning-Kruger syndrome occurrences that I've seen in this thread are disconcerting, to say the least.
Again, thanks for your very important input. Gonna go ahead and remove myself from your ramblings now.

Eric Cartman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Again, thanks for your very important input. Gonna go ahead and remove myself from your ramblings now.
You interjected into my comments without any of them being addressed specifically to you. You wanted the attention and you got it. Now you're unhappy with the results.

I doubt you walk up to strangers on the street and include yourself into their conversations because you want attention. Don't do that here either.

So, that's perfectly fine, move along, and have a good night.