Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was a good tear down, one thing he was sure of was the pcv system was not functioning, my guess just a pcv. You see the vacuum on the filter as well, plus not good lubrication strategy. Interesting how good the general condition was the appeared to be high mileage engine. This was a case where perhaps if they had a good pcv and a good oiling strategy this would have not died. Plus kinda suggests synthetic oil is the way to go without saying it outright.

Yep, it was also nice to see the bearings and such survived the wiped lifters/cam. I know he mentioned the mains were a bit meh, but that could have just been from high miles. It might mean the lifter/cam wipeout truly doesn't affect the rest of the engine all that much.

It was funny to see none of the exhaust studs broken, though :)

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Yep, it was also nice to see the bearings and such survived the wiped lifters/cam. I know he mentioned the mains were a bit meh, but that could have just been from high miles. It might mean the lifter/cam wipeout truly doesn't affect the rest of the engine all that much.

It was funny to see none of the exhaust studs broken, though :)

I was anticipating for the removal of the fan clutch ... I'd had to take that outta the way instead of working around it, lol.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was anticipating for the removal of the fan clutch ... I'd had to take that outta the way instead of working around it, lol.

I noticed that too.

I think he left it because the person he was tearing it down for needed the front cover, etc. Easier just to hand it to them as one big part.

The channel gets a new tear down video pretty much every Saturday evening, it's one of the few channels I watch the videos as they release. So interesting and Eric is hilarious.

Ashton

Reaction score
Ram Year
'18
Engine
Hemi
I've used mobil 1 just because its a good quality oil and cheap at walmart for example. Filter i use purolator pureone or wix.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
cold steel's version of falkniven f1 32 smokes blade extra inch. Maybe closer to s1 which are like 200.

update great review, the Compact version has a weakness, so consider the srk and perhaps not the srk-c, or if you are like me both ha.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Neat teardown (and channel, in general). He's done a few before, but this one has the classic lifter/cam issue.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I searched the recent pages, I didn't notice if anyone got any replies or explanation from Redline about the tin in the VOA.
In my last OCI, I wanted to use Redline, but it was out of stock. So I opted for Liquimoly Molygen with the LM Lifter Fluid. So far, its smooth and quiet.
I could have continued with Mobil 1 0w40, but the price was very close to Redline and I didn't like the sound of the initial tick at first startup after the oil change.
With Molygen, the engine sounds the same. Iit is just as smooth as when it was with Mobil 1, and even with the additive, Molygen works out cheaper than Mobil.
I want to give Redline a shot to make sure that we have a good test, at least in engine sound, but I am worried about the tin.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone seen this video?

Having used Redline 5w30 myself. I have never faced such issues with the MDS.

Ive heard of it happening, but never experienced it myself.

Not sure if its a model year thing, or a sensor sensitivity thing, or what. RL 5W-30 worked fine in my 2017 while I had it in there.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hmm, so he took no video of the actual problem, but was so flagrantly offended he needed to take a video showing the after effects of pennzoil 5w20? I have no idea if the dude has a point or not, but he certainly has no credibility in that video. How hard would it have been to actually take footage of this issue? Not very hard.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter

I'd used an shorter "broom handle" and hammer to knock out that last piston ... I could have brewed a pot of coffee in the amount of time he took to bang it out, lol.

That engine would make an great boat anchor ...

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Anyone seen this video?

I usually avoid writing character assassination posts, we're all different people with different backgrounds. But he was on this forum for a few days before getting banned, he was on bitog before they kicked him out, he sold his ram and bought a gm 6.2 and was posting on GM forums for a while. I won't go into details on what he's like, but lets just say you can safely avoid each and every word that comes out of his mouth and be better off for it.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone seen this video?

I hadn't seen that video before you posted it, but I watched a couple of that *******' videos in the past and he is just plain stupid!! No need for me to watch anymore of his videos. I watched about 30 seconds of that video, realized who it was and stopped watching...again, because he's a *******!!!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well temps have dropped and the rattle in the wifes Jeep is back... I just dont get it. Temps are in the 60s in the morning so nothing crazy, but yeah its back. It is driving me nuts. My Ram doesn't rattle and hell my Flex is absolutely smooth as a babies butt when its starts... It is a absolutely gorgeous vehicle, but man this crap with the rattling at start up has got to stop.

Attachments

• 54530696-8A4A-4495-AE3C-A0981F91F101.jpeg
    54530696-8A4A-4495-AE3C-A0981F91F101.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 8

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well temps have dropped and the rattle in the wifes Jeep is back... I just dont get it. Temps are in the 60s in the morning so nothing crazy, but yeah its back. It is driving me nuts. My Ram doesn't rattle and hell my Flex is absolutely smooth as a babies butt when its starts... It is a absolutely gorgeous vehicle, but man this crap with the rattling at start up has got to stop.
What have you tried and what worked versus didnt work. So you only have cold engine rattle?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Glad I missed the latest drama above (not Treb's, the troll).

Maybe the algorithm bypasses me for troll alerts. That'd be excellent.

We're battening the hatches here for another 30 degree temp drop within a couple days. Still keeping Red Line 5W-30 in Hemi for now. I haven't heard cold startup rattle (piston slap) with it, but don't like to invite problems, since others have experienced it. And there's Treb's mystery V6 cold rattle.

Then again, I recently got hearing aids and it's a brave new world of sounds. I've since validated an exhaust manifold leak tick I couldn't hear before. Piston slap really rattles, though. Should be able to hear without aids.

Maybe I should just not wear them and pretend there are no engine noises?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Glad I missed the latest drama above (not Treb's, the troll).

Maybe the algorithm bypasses me for troll alerts. That'd be excellent.

We're battening the hatches here for another 30 degree temp drop within a couple days. Still keeping Red Line 5W-30 in Hemi for now. I haven't heard cold startup rattle (piston slap) with it, but don't like to invite problems, since others have experienced it. And there's Treb's mystery V6 cold rattle.

Then again, I recently got hearing aids and it's a brave new world of sounds. I've since validated an exhaust manifold leak tick I couldn't hear before. Piston slap really rattles, though. Should be able to hear without aids.

Maybe I should just not wear them and pretend there are no engine noises?

My truck has a small amount of bleed down rattle under the right conditions.
It has a cold start engine knock/piston slap
It likes to ping/rattle while towing at 3000+ rpms (somewhat better recently)
It clunks in the drivetrain switching gears or going in/out of park
Brakes chirp unless fed a steady stream of wd-40
I can look forward to busted manifolds at some point
Small chance it will get lifter tick.
Just recently it has started making a rubbing/groaning noise under hard acceleration to the left/right from a dead stop.

I give up. Time to toss the silly keys in the garbage and move on.