Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 995 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 663 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
well as someone who only owns 45's in his hand guns, you would rather be shot by an ar15 then a 45 if surviving is the goal. It is a round of mass devastation, now add the fact oh yeah that tommy's were full auto and you could literally loose your head with one shot, I'd say it is a bad boy round. For fun watch some of the comparison video's.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Newest formula 0w30 redline

moly - 249
mag-575
ca 1200
zinc 1100
boron & phos = stout
Viscosity 11.1

Oxidation shows ester based

Still appears to be a possible answer for ticking engines?

I didn't keep a copy of original RL 0W-30 Spec Sheet, but I did keep my VOA Data Sheet.
They cut waaaaaay back on antiwear Moly additive. Why?

They cut detergent additives Calcium in half, and tripled Magnesium, no doubt their announced API SP initiative to combat LSPI. Do people drag race 4 cylinder turbocharged GDI engines??? Otherwise, why would you market an expensive racing oil to the general public?

They left antiwear zinc additive pretty much alone, and very high.

Didn't provide Boron and Phos additive amounts.

Viscosity seems the same, that was the original big worry that they'd cut that for SP's fuel economy demands. I guess 249 ppm Moly should be sufficient for Hemi Tick extinguishing, but I'm still quite bothered why they reduced it so much. There is a reason they did it. I doubt they'll let us know. I suspect either a cost reduction or profit increase.

VOA Red Line 0W-30 original SN 20-Jun-2023.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So as you see to keep ash down for the other specs. Midsaps oil now 0w30 redline.

Burla,

That was a good catch, some of our formulations are changing to address the new SN+/SP requirements as well as C2/C3 and C5.

I would expect the moly level would remain the same, the ester/PAO will not be changing.

The current 5W20 and 5W30 formula will not be changing, the Euro Series 5W30 will be the new SP formula, as well as the 0W30.

We were hoping this would have occurred 3 or 4 months ago, but the additive is on allocation and don’t currently have an ETA.

Regards,

Dave Granquist

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Would that mean the new 0W-30 Redline,might benefit from a 10oz bottle of Lubeguard?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Well, Moly is not the same - it's HALF what it was.

And again - why would Red Line care about LSPI in turbo 4 cylinder GDI engines? These are mass market engines, not racing engines, right?

Who in their right mind would pay Red Line bucks for a small car consumer engine? The marketing strategy makes no sense to me at all.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, Moly is not the same - it's HALF what it was.

And again - why would Red Line care about LSPI in turbo 4 cylinder GDI engines? These are mass market engines, not racing engines, right?

Who in their right mind would pay Red Line bucks for a small car consumer engine? The marketing strategy makes no sense to me at all.
well, di turbo's are saturating the market, why not throw in the euro diesel kids specs, one size fits all. Still looks good for a hemi imo, just a lower interval. I always thought they should go after di's, well there ya go. I'm really glad they left my 5w30 hemi honey alone though.

moly 249 with esters and pao and decent viscosity in 0w30, I'm not saying it improved, just say'n eventhough it is now an oil for those other applications still might be a solid choice for the hemi. Wont know unless we get some tests on it.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
well, di turbo's are saturating the market, why not throw in the euro diesel kids specs, one size fits all. Still looks good for a hemi imo, just a lower interval. I always thought they should go after di's, well there ya go. I'm really glad they left my 5w30 hemi honey alone though.

moly 249 with esters and pao and decent viscosity in 0w30, I'm not saying it improved, just say'n eventhough it is now an oil for those other applications still might be a solid choice for the hemi. Wont know unless we get some tests on it.

Agreed!

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
I’ve had the Redline 0w-30 SP with Lubegard in my truck for a couple months now. Just as quiet if not quieter as the Redline 0w-30 SN with Lubegard I’ve used before. I am pleasantly surprised as I didn’t expect it with the formula change. The VOA (SP) was done out of curiosity for me to see what changed (not sure about the tin?) with the new formula. Hoping someone else will try it to confirm but for me so far so good and still quiet. Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My unsubstantiated theory on tin is fluids in transportation, but as we see most voa's have some wear numbers in uoa's. That number is a little higher then what we tend to see around here but not too far out of bounds. As you see hemimann's voa didnt have any tin or alum and yours had both, I keep thinking this is related, again substantiated. How troubling is this I guess depends on each person or customer to make their own decision, But thanks to you we have this information, so we are informed. It does seam like the stouter the formula we do see some of these wear metals in voas for whatever reason. What troubles me more about these formulas are the pricing, hpl super car 0w30 and redline are a deep bite out of the wallet.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Long video but a great view of the hemi oiling system
A lot of good information. However doesn't explain the fact that those who move to a good 5w30 or 0w40 oil (like Redline or Mobil1) early on in the engine life and keep the OCIs short, have never faced the Hemi tick. I'm doing the exact same thing and so far no issues.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
A lot of good information. However doesn't explain the fact that those who move to a good 5w30 or 0w40 oil (like Redline or Mobil1) early on in the engine life and keep the OCIs short, have never faced the Hemi tick.

Yep, and not making any note on increasing the idle without having to install an Hellcat oil pump ... imo, it'd be easier to buy an tuner and bump the idle up for more oil flow at idle achieving the same results.

Good video, somewhat contracting, but still very informative.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Well, with an oci approaching soon I went ahead and ordered 12 quarts Red Line 5w/30 @ $13.49 per quart from Summit Racing using their match or beat a price guarantee and it didn't matter if the online seller only had one at that price.

(I found an online seller that was offering Red Line 5w/30 for $13.49 per quart).

Summit Racing online sells Red Line 5w/30 for $16.97 per quart and shipping is free if the amount is over $109.00 ...

I'm going to keep on using Red Line for now until folks that are using High Performance Lubricants have even more good results and comments to share for me to make the switch.

My HEMI has done very well on Red Line, even if a little tin showed up in it's recent oil report.

Fwiw, I'll send in a v I r g I n sample that I'm going to use to Blackstone Labs for analysis/arguments sake on the Tin level and post the report in the Blackstone used oil analysis thread ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231031-133540~2.png
    Screenshot_20231031-133540~2.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 6

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Too bad for whatever reason that guys youtubes where taking down. As jelly goes mos2 is some good jelly, lol. Still has potential, but also has risks that biotech doesnt have. There is a reason no shelf oil uses mos2 anymore like they once did way back in the day. He still has his biotech up where he mentions the other test many of use seen...

If you want to see the risks of mos2 just repeat that test with it and see for yourself.

Last edited: