Votes: 400 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 160 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 994 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 662 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
True true, I would bet many 5w20's alone could meet sae's pump ability for a 0w20, but yeah you will need vii's, which in fact rules out 5w20 redline as bringing down winter rating of 5w30 redline, however that doesn't mean it wouldn't have better cold characteristics that may help with known hemi issues in the cold.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
True story, California stopped selling Valvoline maxlife because of climate change. Apparently CA is mad because it is a "multi" vehicle oil so the viscosities of OEM fluids were often different. The one place that had an entire section dedicated to this was Walmart, now not in stock at any Walmart within 100 miles of this location, which are many. It appears you can get it direct or from Amazon, but writing is on the wall, if you have a zf8 and you want maxlife and you are unfortunate to live in my state, then stock up if you can.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Say someone wants to find a good oil for his Hemi.
Redline sometimes an option, depending on availability. Now there's not a lot of choice in terms of substitutes because nothing has the additives like Redline and HPL is really not available at all. So, looking through an oil's VOA, how does someone determine that this particular oil will be good for the HEMI? What are the additives that one should look for and what are the minimum requirements?
I am absolutely NO EXPERT so please take this reply with that in mind. I cannot specifically answer your two questions but maybe I can offer a possible consideration or two. Also, I have the 6.4, not the 5.7. I really don't know if this makes a difference.

I don't know how avaliable Amsoil is in your location, but I have been using their SS 0W-40 for many thousands of miles now and I am happy with it. My only concern with the SS 0W-40 (or any 0W-40 for that matter) is the VII's used to achieve this large viscosity swing, as it is well known that they shear and leave undesirable deposits. Personally, I have been mitigating this fact by sticking with 5,000 mile OCI's, even using this "top tier" oil.

In your location/climate, perhaps it's worth looking at their Euro oils, in either the 0W-40 or in particular the 5W-40 weights. Amsoil

Seems to me that a 5W-40 in your climate might work well. I am strongly considering giving their AFL 5W-40 a try myself, as a summer oil. Just a thought.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank @BLUKTY2
Amsoil is actually available in my area, but I was not happy with its performance. In fact, when I bought the truck it had a faint tick. I used Redline until one day it wasn't available. I decided to give Amsoil SS 5w30 a try and after about 3000kms, my engine was ticking badly. Given that it had a tick to begin with, I can't really blame much on the oil, but it did fail to quieten the tick and only seemed to make it worse. I might give it another try. I don't know if it has the additive package to prevent it though. One guy told me that he is Amsoil on his GM truck and it made his engine stop ticking. For a more in depth look at what Amsoil can and can't do, I think you need to read @Hemi395's post.

I'm not a stranger to this thread..
Over here in Dubai, I see a number of people using any engine oil they can get their hands on with various degrees of success. Sometimes I think are they slowly killing their engines or is that oil really good.
I change my oil at 5000kms so I wonder if it is worth spending all that coin on expensive oils like Redline and Mobil 1 or would something like Havoline Pro DS do the same job nicely.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You don't want to be on this list, ugly for stellantis?

Hornet, they currently have nearly two years worth of hornets in stock, lol. At current sales rates it would take 646 days before they would have to produce another dodge hornet. Rav 4 is killing them, 67k units sold in 45 days to hornets 1k. Ford ranger is taking a bath too. Any other surprises?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wonder why? The Hornet looks okay, it's new so it doesn't really have a bad reputation.

I never see them at a dealership, either. Why would that be?
MPG? The hornet is a super star IMHO, but it is kids car, they invested heavy in making a zippy suv as opposed to marketing it to grownups like the rav 4. Plus they are 4 grand higher on MSRP, when Toyota launched a rav 4 light Corolla crossover that is 4k less, so you can get a Corolla cross over for 8 grand less then a hornet? The rav 4 has been getting more hp and better mileage, I don't prefer the new tech as much, now 9 speed, I lost a lot of love for that rav 4, we'll see, but with 6-7 more mpg's then the hornet and 5 dollar gas and inflation that has ruined a country before our eyes, hornet is just a product of bad timing imo.

The hornet looks more like the cheaper crossover then the rav 4? I think stellantis fell in love with their ideas instead of following the market. They tried to replace what they lost as in speed and fun with a SUV. Just didn't work clearly.

hq720.jpg

im-799808?width=1280&size=1.jpg

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I wonder why? The Hornet looks okay, it's new so it doesn't really have a bad reputation.

I never see them at a dealership, either. Why would that be?
Tavares and his PSA minions completely destroyed FCA's value equation. They ass-umed they could milk us dumb Jeep and Ram American customers for all we were worth to fund their global needs. But their unbridled arrogance bit them in the ****, and sales absolutely collapsed.

All automakers raised prices a bunch, but Stellantis is literally off the chart (attached).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231116-072702_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231116-072702_Gallery.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 11

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tavares and his PSA minions completely destroyed FCA's value equation. They ass-umed they could milk us dumb Jeep and Ram American customers for all we were worth to fund their global needs. But their unbridled arrogance bit them in the ****, and sales absolutely collapsed.

All automakers raised prices a bunch, but Stellantis is literally off the chart (attached).
$23,860 2024 Toyota Corolla Cross Features Specs

From $31,400 Dodge Hornet Price

Like I tell my wife about her sisters, bchs be cray cray.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
motor trend hornet versus rav 4.

For those of you who want to see hornets win review, lol. Motor trend is impressed. Let's just ignore the fact that in 45 days rav 4 sold 67k and the cross adds another 10k to those sales numbers and in the same time period hornet sold 1,000, so if you take away the fact the market has chosen a different winner, you see the hornet is impressive for what it is. You see motor trend just ignored the rav 4 base model to the conversation, which is less on MSRP and 6 mpg's higher, but if it is just about performance then the hornet wins. When it comes time which is soon, I will test drive one for sure, and let the wife test drive it. But if I have to break my neck to sit in it, choice gets real easy.

The hornet is 4 inches shorter, now being 6'3 that is a thing. Best feature of my rav 4 is how it sits me, almost like the old forerunners.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Arent the Hornets all some form of EV?
no, not at all. actually a little weird, instead of follow mpg trend, they went to a high HP SUV with paddle shifters.

The "open secret" here is that the all-new Hornet is actually a reskinned Alfa Romeo Tonale.'

So maybe that is the main issue, that car starts at 44k, so stellantis just opted out of competing on price like tj said with it's competitors. Now I will say this, why buy the alpha tonale? lol, right? Save 12k and get a hornet.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Exactly right.
I saw this movie when the Frenchies took over CPG and ran it into the ground.
Halved sales in 8 years, so they let go those of us that built it.
Wonderful global commerce.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Exactly right.
I saw this movie when the Frenchies took over CPG and ran it into the ground.
Halved sales in 8 years, so they let go those of us that built it.
Wonderful global commerce.
amazing graph TJ posted. I would bet redline is similar on a smaller scale. Market day supply versus 5 year price increases. Stellantis will fail, probably wont be much longer imo. They have two winners ram 1500 and wrangler, and that just wont subsidize an entire corporations multi brands and lineups. Guys this sad isht is literally facing us with everything, from oil to French bread. My lucky's got a new delivery of French bread the other day, only had 1 loaf delivered. I asked the guy why, it is the best french bread you can get here, he said no sales. Burp that loaf was great too bad he didn't bring another as he didn't know he was gonna sell that loaf as he was stalking it, but man things are tough like never before. It is too bad we cant see market day supply and price increases over 5 years for everything sold, but if that doesn't tell the story on stellantis I don't know what else would. eye opening

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The "open secret" here is that the all-new Hornet is actually a reskinned Alfa Romeo Tonale.'
As someone who owned an Alfa Romeo, that isn't a bad thing. If you choose the car right and you take care of it, the Alfa Romeo reputation of unreliability is unfounded. At least that was the case with my 156. The only reason I got rid of it was because it had been in two accidents with SUVs and at one point it was abused by members of my family since it was the only vehicle in the household (during some hard financial times). It was basically run into the ground and there came a point when I had to let it go. That was when I got my Ram. I would gladly get another 156, 2.5 V6 Q-System again, but if I was to get another Alfa, it would be a GTV.
And for those who are taking notes, the Busso V6 is the best sounding 6 cylinder engine period. Those Ford Raptors and GTs, JDM Supras or Skylines have nothing on a Busso V6. The only engine that comes close is a Cologne V6 and exhaust system in a TVR S2.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
amazing graph TJ posted. I would bet redline is similar on a smaller scale. Market day supply versus 5 year price increases. Stellantis will fail, probably wont be much longer imo. They have two winners ram 1500 and wrangler, and that just wont subsidize an entire corporations multi brands and lineups. Guys this sad isht is literally facing us with everything, from oil to French bread. My lucky's got a new delivery of French bread the other day, only had 1 loaf delivered. I asked the guy why, it is the best french bread you can get here, he said no sales. Burp that loaf was great too bad he didn't bring another as he didn't know he was gonna sell that loaf as he was stalking it, but man things are tough like never before. It is too bad we cant see market day supply and price increases over 5 years for everything sold, but if that doesn't tell the story on stellantis I don't know what else would. eye opening

They keep wrecking product companies, what do we do? I guess what we're all doing - milking every last mile and hour out of every machine we got.

I'm riding the Harley now.