Tailgate assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S1kRR.Cid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Can someone explain to me what the hype about a tailgate assist is all about? I can literally bring it down and put it back up with the tip of my finger so what exactly is the hype about it?
Not sure what year and model you have but . It lowers the tail gate at the speed you what with a damper . It is amazing to have for $20 or so and so simple. Not a necessity but well worth it in my opinion.

Kingzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It just makes it easier to lift and lowers at a slower rate. I can lift it without much force but my brothers 2019 comes factory with a tailgate assist, it is a great addition. Also I see this being more of a necessity for owners with disabilities and for $20 you cant go wrong.

JOHRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
The tailgate on my 2015 seemed much heavier than in my 2019 Classic. Was great for the wife.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed it a few days ago. Is it necessary? Not really. Is it nice to have, especially for the price? Absolutely.

It can also prevent damage to the back up camera. I'm sure if you drop the tailgate to many times it'll mess it up. Now I don't have to wonder if it will because the tailgate won't slam down. And it won't slam down on my trailer hitch or tongue jack either.

The Dee Zee one cost me $25 from Amazon. Free shipping too.

Last edited:

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
I just installed it a few days ago. Is it necessary? Not really. Is it nice to have, especially for the price? Absolutely.

It can also prevent damage to the back up camera. I'm sure if you drop the tailgate to many times it'll mess it up. Now I don't have to wonder if it will because the tailgate won't slam down. And it won't slam down on my trailer hitch or tongue jack either.

The Dee Zee one cost me $25 from Amazon. Free shipping too.

I have to +1 that above statement, you ever put $600 sunglasses on the rear bumper only to forget.... the time it takes to lower could save that also...

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like it because I can just pop the handle when my other hand is holding something and it slowly lowers itself and doesn't just slam down. Just a nice feature that's inexpensive and easy to install.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Original DMx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have little ones that love playing hide and seek and the bed of my truck seems like a common place for them. When my littlest tries to find them, she opens the tailgate and almost gets knocked out when it comes slamming down. That, and it’s nice when your hands are full and you don’t want to put things down just to open the tailgate. Just pop the latch and take a step back.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Have you tried to gently lower the tail gate after rain with the gallon of water that pools on top? You are left with a wet arm or have to drop the gate full force to avoid water. With the tail gate assist just pop the handle and stand back.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I’m the odd man out. I’ve never opened my tailgate and thought “Gee, I wish I had a tailgate assist”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I’m the odd man out. I’ve never opened my tailgate and thought “Gee, I wish I had a tailgate assist”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s because you don’t have one. Once you’ve got it you’re glad you’ve got it.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I had a 2010 Nissan Titan and it came from the factory with a soft open tailgate. When I got the 18 RAM and it didn't have it I was pretty amazed. It's really one of those things you don't really know you need until you get it. Then you'll never NOT want it.....

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Son bought one for him and me. Definitely nice for only about $25. I probably wouldn't have bought it myself but with a 2500 that sits much higher and a bad shoulder I'm happy I got it now