Tailgate Hinge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbordz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My the right tailgate hinge on my 2007 Dodge PowerWagon broke. It appears the factory spot-welded the hinges to the tailgate, and those spot welds appear to have failed and the leg that pivots has cracked in half.

I like the newer tailgates that are easy to open and close. Repair the old one at a body shop or Dodge dealer? What are my options?20220405_073024.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe you can get after market parts for the tailgate
stay away from the dealer, they won't have any parts
they love to charge for labor

Tailgate hinges can be had from several compaies

OP
OP
L

longbordz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the respsonse. The hinge pins that bolt to the truck body appear to be fine.
The bracket that is spot welded to the tailgate is the problem. The spot welds have failed on the bottom of the tailgate and then broke where it mounts on the hinge pin/bushing.
Dealer says it's a body shop job. Body shop wants $2500 for a new tailgate.
I notice that the tailgate bracket on a Chevy tailgate bolts to the tailgate. THAT makes sense, but probably costs more to porduce than robotic spot welding.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hopkins easy lift worked great on my 2004 , better then what came with the 2014.