"Tesla Style" 10.4 Android Radio Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I thought the whole reason why they have you send them a picture of the dash is so they can make sure they send the right set of harnesses. Oh well, it's not the end of the world, just wished my first experience was one without missing parts.
That is the reason but they can be somewhat...vexing at times.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you guys have any specific tests or concerns that you want me to throw at the unit, please let me know. Since I have no reference to the PX3's I can't really tell if this unit is heads above the older ones. All I can say is that from an usability standpoint I see no issues. How this thing will fare in the long run we will find out and how it performs once there are more apps in the background or there is heat throttling, that has to be still determined.
I know for me personally the 4.4.4 is a beast!, I know some who have upgraded to fast boot have had problems. I know for me I would love for you to run the radio have a movie running waze and probably 2 other apps an see if there is any lag. I do this on the daily and have had no issues. Just curious to see if they fixed it with the fastboot version. [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
LOL. Dylan from PA already closed the ticket, simply stating that they are sorry to hear I have trouble and to call Mon-Fri during their business hours for support. So I guess I will call even though my ticket was very clear on what was needed.
They better have that connector in stock here in CA and ship it USPS priority.

In the meantime I will still keep setting up and test as not having the fan control won't affect the overall outcome.

I know for me personally the 4.4.4 is a beast!, I know some who have upgraded to fast boot have had problems. I know for me I would love for you to run the radio have a movie running waze and probably 2 other apps an see if there is any lag. I do this on the daily and have had no issues. Just curious to see if they fixed it with the fastboot version. [emoji6]

I'll install some more apps and some benchmarking tools, then I'll give the dongle a try and see how well android auto and car play works. After all my wife will really hate me if this thing will be a novice nightmare.

BTW, how many USB ports should this unit actually have? All I see is the harness that utilizes the OEM port in the center console and a second cable attached to that. I was under the impression that there may be more ports. Also I am guessing these are legacy USB2 and not USB3 ports, right?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
LOL. Dylan from PA already closed the ticket, simply stating that they are sorry to hear I have trouble and to call Mon-Fri during their business hours for support. So I guess I will call even though my ticket was very clear on what was needed.

In the meantime I will still keep setting up and test as not having the fan control won't affect the overall outcome.

I'll install some more apps and some benchmarking tools, then I'll give the dongle a try and see how well android auto and car play works. After all my wife will really hate me if this thing will be a novice nightmare.

BTW, how many USB ports should this unit actually have? All I see is the harness that utilizes the OEM port in the center console and a second cable attached to that. I was under the impression that there may be more ports. Also I am guessing these are legacy USB2 and not USB3 ports, right?
If it comes to it, I have one you can use.

Jordanp

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Dylan has done that to me numerous times , absolutely worthless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
In fact, Dylan does that to every ticket he answers regardless of resolution. Hence...vexing.

Last edited:

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I so want to do one of these, but I just want one that is for the most part plug and play. This still seems to need to much tweaking to get it to work properly. Something I’m not interested in at this time.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
If it comes to it, I have one you can use.

Really appreciate the offer, but let's see what I get on Monday when I call them. I replied to the closed ticket, essentially opening it again and ask why closing it if no resolution was found. I'm just doing it to mess with them at this point.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Really appreciate the offer, but let's see what I get on Monday when I call them. I replied to the closed ticket, essentially opening it again and ask why closing it if no resolution was found. I'm just doing it to mess with them at this point.
Sounds good. You may have better luck with Facebook messaging them. I've heard many a time that they respond promptly and with real answers on there.

jhanson79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6 MPI
I am new to this thread and I am not sure where to post, but I am hoping you can help me out. I have the 10.4 Tesla style radio in a 2014 Dodge RAM 1500 with manual AC. I am trying to find out if someone has figured out how to get the AC controls to show the temp. On my stock radio I had a bar that went from blue to red so i at least had a better idea of how hot or cold the air was? Since my truck doesn't have automatic controls I can just push the plus or minus up or down but that's it, nothing shows up.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I so want to do one of these, but I just want one that is for the most part plug and play. This still seems to need to much tweaking to get it to work properly. Something I’m not interested in at this time.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas

I know what you mean, but when you want something that can be customizable to this extend, then it's for sure a project to have it all dialed in. Also just from my own experience having this unit just one day, tells me that there are so many configuration variations that it's nearly impossible to make it work right out of the box perfect.

I am still stomped with the alpine amp configuration as I only get the front speakers to work. No matter what I do with the fader something is definitely amiss.

This suggests that I may need to use the RCA out on the big connector and somehow reintroduce it to the HU, but I can't find any settings that would tie in all the speakers.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/te...radio-information.115875/page-12#post-1719813

I'll keep plugging away.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Sounds good. You may have better luck with Facebook messaging them. I've heard many a time that they respond promptly and with real answers on there.

That would be because it's more public I suppose. I will give that a shot next.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I am new to this thread and I am not sure where to post, but I am hoping you can help me out. I have the 10.4 Tesla style radio in a 2014 Dodge RAM 1500 with manual AC. I am trying to find out if someone has figured out how to get the AC controls to show the temp. On my stock radio I had a bar that went from blue to red so i at least had a better idea of how hot or cold the air was? Since my truck doesn't have automatic controls I can just push the plus or minus up or down but that's it, nothing shows up.

The manual AC control doesn't show temp. I have the same style with the 7speed fan control but no temp setting. I have on my 8.4 screen a vertical bar that shows blue to red. In the settings you would either select RAM LO or RAM America I believe.

You should have a slider on the expanded fan control that at least lets you gauge at what temp it might blow.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know what you mean, but when you want something that can be customizable to this extend, then it's for sure a project to have it all dialed in. Also just from my own experience having this unit just one day, tells me that there are so many configuration variations that it's nearly impossible to make it work right out of the box perfect.

I am still stomped with the alpine amp configuration as I only get the front speakers to work. No matter what I do with the fader something is definitely amiss.

This suggests that I may need to use the RCA out on the big connector and somehow reintroduce it to the HU, but I can't find any settings that would tie in all the speakers.
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/te...radio-information.115875/page-12#post-1719813

I'll keep plugging away.
Do you have the right car type selected? I think there is also a "Ram Top" that may have the right settings for the Alpine system.

In addition, there is also a "big speaker/small speaker" setting that *might* help. I don't really know what it does.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Can you post a picture of your system info screen? It will look similar to this...c41ebc0ade886df55a24ab9e5076ca2d.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You mean on the Tesla screen right? Can you post a picture of the problem as well as your system information screen?
The manual AC control doesn't show temp. I have the same style with the 7speed fan control but no temp setting. I have on my 8.4 screen a vertical bar that shows blue to red. In the settings you would either select RAM LO or RAM America I believe.

You should have a slider on the expanded fan control that at least lets you gauge at what temp it might blow.
I believe he means on the Tesla screen...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Do you have the right car type selected? I think there is also a "Ram Top" that may have the right settings for the Alpine system.

In addition, there is also a "big speaker/small speaker" setting that *might* help. I don't really know what it does.

About that... When I change the setting from RAM LO to HI or America or TOP, how can I tell that there are new options or settings? When I'm in the hidden menu's the items seem all identical from the previous setting.

Also I could not find anywhere where I could set the speaker type 'big/small'.

Maybe some of us with different options could put together a spreadsheet for others so that configuration is easier to do. We could list our options from the factory and then show which settings we used in the menu's to get everything working. All I know is, I am a longtime android user and these units with their car integration add a totally new layer of complexity into the mix. Man, I remember my first google phone that had the trackball, that thing was cool and simple. Look where we are now we have a forum page covered with 150+ pages just on the RAM trucks.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
About that... When I change the setting from RAM LO to HI or America or TOP, how can I tell that there are new options or settings? When I'm in the hidden menu's the items seem all identical from the previous setting.

Maybe some of us with different options could put together a spreadsheet for others so that configuration is easier to do. We could list our options from the factory and then show which settings we used in the menu's to get everything working. All I know is, I am a longtime android user and these units with their car integration add a totally new layer of complexity into the mix. Man, I remember my first google phone that had the trackball, that thing was cool and simple. Look where we are now we have a forum page covered with 150+ pages just on the RAM trucks.
Most of the options aren't Android but rather the options of the MCU. Think if these as dual operating system radios that run both simultaneously.

Truly it's not an Android device but rather an Android Appliance.

You must restart the radio after changing car type. You won't see menu changes, only broken things will begin working properly OR working things will break.

I prefer the reset pinhole for rsstarts. In addition, if you install a third party launcher you can use an app called fast reboot that will essentially restart all the running Chinese apps/code. Makes rsstarts happen in 3-5 seconds

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Big and small I think is selectable from the steering wheel controls menu.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My small speaker big speaker option is in settings/ advanced code 8861
it's the third option from the topb29e82a3b5f3278d256172bdc9e2dab5.jpg