Texas Inspection and Diesel Shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idahoguy1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Bout to be relocating to the DFW area and I'm looking some insight on what to expect. I have a fully deleted 2016 Ram with Flo Pro 5" Turbo Back Straight Pipe. Now I know I don't have to do emissions and just have to do a safety inspection. Does anybody know a shop that will pass a fully deleted truck? Also looking for a good performance shop that does tuners and such because Im thinking about changing some things up with my tunes.

Thanks in advance
StevenIMG_4776.JPGIMG_4747.JPGIMG_4823.JPGIMG_4825.JPG

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Most of your standard Jiffy Lubes will do. Most of the kids there either don't know what to look for because they don't even know what a DPF is or don't care on a $8 per hour salary and hate the EPA just as much as you do.

I don't know of any local shops in DFW, but then again I don't even know many shops down here in SA since I do most of my own work.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Bout to be relocating to the DFW area and I'm looking some insight on what to expect. I have a fully deleted 2016 Ram with Flo Pro 5" Turbo Back Straight Pipe. Now I know I don't have to do emissions and just have to do a safety inspection. Does anybody know a shop that will pass a fully deleted truck? Also looking for a good performance shop that does tuners and such because Im thinking about changing some things up with my tunes.

Thanks in advance
StevenView attachment 141659View attachment 141660View attachment 141661View attachment 141662
Just drive south or north. Get out of the metroplex and they don’t even test emissions.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine

Thanks in advance
StevenView attachment 141659View attachment 141660View attachment 141661View attachment 141662
P.S. don’t California our Texas :anitoof: j/k :welcome: But seriously don't California our Texas :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Maybe a somewhat preemptive Welcome to Tejas :p

I second @22hemi13 get out of the Big cities and you'll be good to go. And for the love of all things good and diesel don't even think about Austin I know for a fact that they check exhaust in most shops.

(I know Austin and Dallas are not near each other just making a point about the big cities(also... don't got to Austin, that's where the weird transplants go :p ))

OP
OP
Idahoguy1984

Idahoguy1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Don't worry I won't California your Texas considering I'm not from that ******* filled state you are referring to. Was just stuck there when I was still in the military. Now if you want a great state go to Idaho we dont have to do any of the **** that even Texas makes you do with rigs. The most that happens to us is random fuel checks to make sure we are not running off-road diesel in our rigs.

OP
OP
Idahoguy1984

Idahoguy1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Most of your standard Jiffy Lubes will do. Most of the kids there either don't know what to look for because they don't even know what a DPF is or don't care on a $8 per hour salary and hate the EPA just as much as you do.

I don't know of any local shops in DFW, but then again I don't even kn

Was thinking about throwing a muffler back on just incase they look under the truck. Im not really worried about the EGR and stuff considering they may not even know what they are looking for. And if I need to I could throw some distilled water in the DEF tank so the gauge reads there is something in there. Any thoughts?

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Was thinking about throwing a muffler back on just incase they look under the truck. Im not really worried about the EGR and stuff considering they may not even know what they are looking for. And if I need to I could throw some distilled water in the DEF tank so the gauge reads there is something in there. Any thoughts?
What part of DFW are you going to be in? Pretty much go an hour in any direction away from the city and you’ll find shops. The small towns don’t have to have emissions stickers. Just a basic insp teg. It’s like $12 I think. But I run farm tags so my price could be off. The 2 diff tags look different.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
you just need to go out of Tarrant or Dallas county..

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

I would not even go that far. Diesels don't have to go through emissions testing in Texas and generally just go though a safety inspection. Even if they did, all 96 and newer vehicles just have to pass an OBD test to ensure their are no fault codes. 95 and older vehicles have to pass the dyno test.

I get mine inspected just one county down from Austin at an Express Lube place and the kid just gets in to drive it, checks to make sure all lights work, does the brake test, and that is about it. If you are that conerned about it, then I would try and search for a diesel performance shop first and then ask them who they use. They might even do inspections.

If you want to know about the Texas inspection, here is a LINK.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
I would not even go that far. Diesels don't have to go through emissions testing in Texas and generally just go though a safety inspection. Even if they did, all 96 and newer vehicles just have to pass an OBD test to ensure their are no fault codes. 95 and older vehicles have to pass the dyno test.

I get mine inspected just one county down from Austin at an Express Lube place and the kid just gets in to drive it, checks to make sure all lights work, does the brake test, and that is about it. If you are that conerned about it, then I would try and search for a diesel performance shop first and then ask them who they use. They might even do inspections.

They drive yours lol. Mine don’t even move it. It’s basically just a light check test.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Just drive south or north. Get out of the metroplex and they don’t even test emissions.

Emissions testing depends on the county of residence. Example if your address is in Collin co. and you come to Grayson co. for an inspection Grayson won’t do the inspection because Collin requires emissions test.
I’ve always had the best luck getting inspections by going to a raggedy looking tire shop or mechanic shop with lots of old junk cars in the parking lot. They are generally the easiest to slide by.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Emissions testing depends on the county of residence. Example if your address is in Collin co. and you come to Grayson co. for an inspection Grayson won’t do the inspection because Collin requires emissions test.
I’ve always had the best luck getting inspections by going to a raggedy looking tire shop or mechanic shop with lots of old junk cars in the parking lot. They are generally the easiest to slide by.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road
True. I forgot about residency issues. Find somebody with some land lol.

OP
OP
Idahoguy1984

Idahoguy1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Awesome I appreciate the feedback Im looking for a reputable shop in the Area haven't had much luck online so far, but I'm hoping to find something in the near future. How are you liking your EFI by Ryan? Im thinking about switching my tunes up right now I have starlight but seems like my shifts could be smoother. Specially when running the exhaust brake at slower speeds. Has a bit of a rough jolt when going around 45-50.

OP
OP
Idahoguy1984

Idahoguy1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What part of DFW are you going to be in? Pretty much go an hour in any direction away from the city and you’ll find shops. The small towns don’t have to have emissions stickers. Just a basic insp teg. It’s like $12 I think. But I run farm tags so my price could be off. The 2 diff tags look different.

Just went under contract on a house out in Newark

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Awesome I appreciate the feedback Im looking for a reputable shop in the Area haven't had much luck online so far, but I'm hoping to find something in the near future. How are you liking your EFI by Ryan? Im thinking about switching my tunes up right now I have starlight but seems like my shifts could be smoother. Specially when running the exhaust brake at slower speeds. Has a bit of a rough jolt when going around 45-50.

I posted a a topic about my two tunes here (Diesel tuner comparison: Hardway versus Anarchy)

Anarchy has had a few trans updates since then(and even one I have not loaded yet) that have made it much better, but I still prefer to run my Hardway (EFI By Ryan) tune unloaded. It is just a pleasure to drive keeping the revs low, but still have plenty of power in an unloaded truck. Towing, then the Anarchy is definitely better keeping you at higher rpms in the power band. I switch between the two depending on how I use my truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963