The Alphaobd App

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram_d00d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Now that I've spent over $150 on the app and the reader I find out I have to buy another piece to make it all work. However, that piece is unavailable right now. Is there a different, but similar app that I won't have to buy a cable to use?

Earl Zeis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Now that I've spent over $150 on the app and the reader I find out I have to buy another piece to make it all work. However, that piece is unavailable right now. Is there a different, but similar app that I won't have to buy a cable to use?

Very cheap investment for what you get!

I'm guessing you're referring to the security bypass cable needed on 2018+ vehicles? If so, yes, you have to have one. They are available from several sources. So if the one you're wanting is t available, buy one that is.

Earl

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any reader you use on the 2018 up trucks will require the bypass cable. This has nothing to do with the app. It's because FCA changed the OBD port wiring to try to keep people out of the BCM. I'm assuming you checked with KaodTech.com? He usually has them in stock and if not he is in the process of making more.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ram_d00d

Ram_d00d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Very cheap investment for what you get!

I'm guessing you're referring to the security bypass cable needed on 2018+ vehicles? If so, yes, you have to have one. They are available from several sources. So if the one you're wanting is t available, buy one that is.

Earl

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Do you have any links to a place I can buy this cable? Oh, and I wasn't complaining about the cost. I meant that I'm $150 into it and cannot use it still. Bummer

Any reader you use on the 2018 up trucks will require the bypass cable. This has nothing to do with the app. It's because FCA changed the OBD port wiring to try to keep people out of the BCM. I'm assuming you checked with KaodTech.com? He usually has them in stock and if not he is in the process of making more.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I didn't know this going in. I wish I would have. Oh well. Live and learn right? Yes, that's where I went to try and get one. There isn't any available for the 2019 1500 Classic right now

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
OBD JSCAN is another app for FCA vehicles but you still need the bypass cable.

Jscan will do the same thing as alphaobd but it requires you to pay per vin instead of the one time payment that alphaobd has.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You spent $150 on the app and the reader? I spent less than that one the app, reader and a cheap android tablet a year and a half ago. Man the price of the adapter has real gone up since I bought.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. Do you have any links to a place I can buy this cable? Oh, and I wasn't complaining about the cost. I meant that I'm $150 into it and cannot use it still. Bummer

I didn't know this going in. I wish I would have. Oh well. Live and learn right? Yes, that's where I went to try and get one. There isn't any available for the 2019 1500 Classic right now
He was on vacation until the 22nd and more should be available soon is my understanding.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

ric221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do a Google search you should find plenty out there

Beemer533

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You spent $150 on the app and the reader? I spent less than that one the app, reader and a cheap android tablet a year and a half ago. Man the price of the adapter has real gone up since I bought.
If he bought the MX+ it's $100. Is that the adapter you bought?

I bought mine in December and it was still $100 then as well.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OBD JSCAN is another app for FCA vehicles but you still need the bypass cable.

Jscan will do the same thing as alphaobd but it requires you to pay per vin instead of the one time payment that alphaobd has.

Jscan definitely can't do everything Alfaobd can. But it does work with iPhones. I like it.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Will Alphaobd allow you to upgrade radios? 2019 NB Bighorn from base 8.4 to nav (panasonic) screen and module?

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Will Alphaobd allow you to upgrade radios? 2019 NB Bighorn from base 8.4 to nav (panasonic) screen and module?
I don’t believe there is anything you need to change in the BCM when putting in a different radio. I upgraded from 5.0 screen to a 8.4 UAS radio and there was nothing I needed to change with alpha to get it working.

Only thing I need it for is to activate the automatic temp control for the new 7 speed hvac but that has nothing to do with base radio function.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Mine won't hardley turn on without hard reset. No sirius, temp backup camera. Finally ordered program kit from gm-navigation. will let you know if that gets it going. Told it has to do with the new security module and bcm.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
Now it turns on and off. No backup camera, heat temp control, sirius. Any ideas? Big Horn 2019 NB with level 2 package.