The "BIG 3" upgrades? Help plz.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLILBEASTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i decided I wanted aftermarket subs in my truck. I went with the kicker L7 Q-class subs. The plan is too run 2 4ohm 12's together at 1ohm with a mono block amp pushing 1800 watts RMS. The problem is I know my truck has a 160 amp alternator, and don't know if/how to power this type of amp. I can't figure out how many amps the truck is/isn't using. Can someone provide information or a link to what I might need to make this setup possible.

Truck: Ram 1500 4x4 hemi regular cab sport.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
whether you have the Alpine factory stereo or not, you should be fine running the mono block amp without doing the big 3. Yes the big 3 will lighten the load on your system a bit...but you won't damage anything by NOT doing the big 3 either. I ran 3 amps with well over 2500 watts for years without any problems.
Remember, music and BASS especially is very dynamic, so your amp won't be producing 1800 watts very often if ever. Maybe on big bass hits with volume WAYYYY up.
food for thought

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
2 L7 12s in a single cab truck! :peace:

Dont roll your windows all the way up. Might bust them out.

OP
OP
XLILBEASTX

XLILBEASTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
whether you have the Alpine factory stereo or not, you should be fine running the mono block amp without doing the big 3. Yes the big 3 will lighten the load on your system a bit...but you won't damage anything by NOT doing the big 3 either. I ran 3 amps with well over 2500 watts for years without any problems.
Remember, music and BASS especially is very dynamic, so your amp won't be producing 1800 watts very often if ever. Maybe on big bass hits with volume WAYYYY up.
food for thought

Autocraftgt, I appreciate the information. Would a capacitor help with lightening the load. Did your headlights every dim? Just want to feel confident I won't damage anything.

2 L7 12s in a single cab truck! :peace:

Dont roll your windows all the way up. Might bust them out.

That is the plan :head3:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Autocraftgt, I appreciate the information. Would a capacitor help with lightening the load. Did your headlights every dim? Just want to feel confident I won't damage anything.

Capacitors do not lighten the load, as they need to be recharged after every discharge so same load spread out. My truck has a few amps somewhere in the 2k range. I can get the lights to dim quite easily with the subs. Big 3 cleared up most of that problem. Stock alternator. I do drive a lot of highway home so there are nights I will go full power the whole way. Stock alternator is 6 years old and going strong.

OP
OP
XLILBEASTX

XLILBEASTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Capacitors do not lighten the load, as they need to be recharged after every discharge so same load spread out. My truck has a few amps somewhere in the 2k range. I can get the lights to dim quite easily with the subs. Big 3 cleared up most of that problem. Stock alternator. I do drive a lot of highway home so there are nights I will go full power the whole way. Stock alternator is 6 years old and going strong.

Is a yellow top a good idea, and is there a Big 3 kit you can recommend?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I havent used a yellow top in 15 years. They are great batteries but I no longer run my battery to zero when working on it so a deep cycle isnt needed.

As for a big 3 kit, there a million diy kits on ebay. Pick one, get a torch to solder the lugs and get to work.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Is a yellow top a good idea, and is there a Big 3 kit you can recommend?
I’ve always used welding power wire for my big 3 and amp power wires. Weldingsupply.com is great quality (running the same wire in 3 vehicles for over 8 years) and really bendy and easy to work with. Grab some big eye rings, crimp then on (a vice and a nail for piercing works wonders) and you’re good.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1

I don't recommend a capacitor. Yes my headlights will dim slightly when volume is high and playing bass-heavy music...but it's a slight dim...nothing dangerous per se.

bhiii

#justsaynotochrome
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
food for thought

The likelihood of the amp producing an actual 1800 W is slim to none. These ratings are made in ideal conditions. With impedance rises and voltage/current inputs to the amp (depending on brand) you’ll most likely never meet the same conditions or power output. That being said at 1800 W I’d run a 0 gauge power and ground. Secondly, with that size power wire I’d run my RCAs on the opposite side of the vehicle to reduce any crosstalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't recommend a capacitor. Yes my headlights will dim slightly when volume is high and playing bass-heavy music...but it's a slight dim...nothing dangerous per se.

My last ram with prime 1200.1 amp on sub duty at 1 ohm and 2 small amps for my mids and highs at full power at night I could get my led headlights to shut off and turn on. Funny part was they were the multi color style so a solid bass hit and they would change color to yellow, then next hit back to white.

BIG 3 fixed that issue.

OP
OP
XLILBEASTX

XLILBEASTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The likelihood of the amp producing an actual 1800 W is slim to none. These ratings are made in ideal conditions. With impedance rises and voltage/current inputs to the amp (depending on brand) you’ll most likely never meet the same conditions or power output. That being said at 1800 W I’d run a 0 gauge power and ground. Secondly, with that size power wire I’d run my RCAs on the opposite side of the vehicle to reduce any crosstalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice on running the RCAs on the opposite side, didn't think about that. As for the amp, I plan to buy a Kicker CXA1800.1 amp.